Arena League Promos: two versions of Urza's foil lands?

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:17 am

cataclysm80 wrote:I wonder, do both versions of the Island exist with the missing expansion symbol error?

I'm working on a global set of this artwork of Island, so I will need one of these versions, once I figure out which one I already have. (traveling at the moment and won't be able to check for at least a few days)

Great Find!

Tav

EDIT: Just noticed that the small star Island shown above IS missing the expansion symbol. Does a small star Island also exist WITH the symbol?
Maybe I already have both versions.
Hi Tav

Yes, the Island with the small star Island also exist with the symbol. Now to find out if the one with no symbol exist in 2 versions.
PS: Gits gets promoted to Librarities Hero for that great find.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:34 pm

All this talk about the star is interesting. Nobody has said anything about the corners.

Do all "non-symbol" land promos have "alpha" corners?

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:52 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:All this talk about the star is interesting. Nobody has said anything about the corners.

Do all "non-symbol" land promos have "alpha" corners?

Gary
Hi Gary

Not everything at once please. Just looked my 1996 Arena Lands and Urza Saga Lands, some of them have indeed more rounded corners, but not like Alpha and sometimes not All of the corners #-o

Also from an old Topic about the Urza Saga with No expansion symbol:
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... 61bd3301f2
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:55 pm

OK, OK boss, I'll keep quiet... just couldn't help asking after I noticed them I only have one of each land and it looks like my Swamp is large and the rest small including the Island with no symbol. None have really round corners.

Gary
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:04 am

mystical_tutor wrote:OK, OK boss, I'll keep quiet... just couldn't help asking after I noticed them I only have one of each land and it looks like my Swamp is large and the rest small including the Island with no symbol. None have really round corners.

Gary
Hi Gary

Whenever you have time, I will need a scan of your Swamp Bigger Shooting Star version, this time 222 X 306 (Specific size of the Arena Promos).
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:28 am

Hi Members

Does anyone have the "Bigger Shooting Star" version of:

*Plains
*Mountain

Does anyone have a different Urza Saga Promos with a Bigger Shooting Star from:

*Pouncing Jaguar
*Island NO expansion symbol
*Skittering Skirge
*Mountain
*Rewind
*Plains
*Karn, Silver Golem
*Duress

JUDGE GIFTS
*Lightning Bolt
*Stroke of Genius
*Gaea's Cradle

JUNIOR SUPER SERIES
*Thran Quarry
dragsamou wrote:
mystical_tutor wrote:OK, OK boss, I'll keep quiet... just couldn't help asking after I noticed them I only have one of each land and it looks like my Swamp is large and the rest small including the Island with no symbol. None have really round corners.

Gary
Hi Gary

Whenever you have time, I will need a scan of your Swamp Bigger Shooting Star version, this time 222 X 306 (Specific size of the Arena Promos).
Thanks Gary, scan of the Swamp added.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:23 pm

dragsamou wrote:
PS: Gits gets promoted to Librarities Hero for that great find.
After all the head scratching, extra scans, hunting time and worry, I have a question.

Is there a Librarities Villain title???

JK, great job Gits.

Gary
Gary Adkison

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:26 pm

Just a note.

I would really really really appreciate it if people would reduce their scans to fit the page, I think 1000 pix will work.

I have to work from a laptop and sometimes I just skip topics if they are too wide for my screen.

Gary
Gary Adkison

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:29 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:Just a note.

I would really really really appreciate it if people would reduce their scans to fit the page, I think 1000 pix will work.

I have to work from a laptop and sometimes I just skip topics if they are too wide for my screen.

Gary
Hi Gary

Are the pics on first page too wide for you, cause, they are not for me, and I'm the first one generally to notice it?
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:28 pm

Hi Members

This post is to help some Members that are confused with the Bigger Versus Big Shooting Star...Gary :wink:

Arena Urza Saga Foil Lands were released in 2 different years:
1999 and 2000. For the Swamp First release was 2000-02-12 and Second Release was 2000-11-30
The first release that took place in 1999, the Foil Urza Saga lands were given in Unsealed booster with the 1 for QTY touching the black bar and those Foil lands were having a Bigger Shooting Star.

Unsealed Forest Booster Version with Bigger Shooting Star:

Sealed Forest Booster Second Version with the 1 for QTY NOT touching the black bar and with Big Shooting Star:

The second release that took place in 2000, lands were given Only in Sealed boosters without the Arena Premium sticker on the booster and the lands were having Big Shooting Star.

The Bigger Shooting Star Version 1999:
The North West Pike touches the inner border of the text box.
The West and South pikes crosses over the text box.
The South East Pike is touching the ©

The Big Shooting Star version 2000:
The North West Pike doesn't touch the inner border of the text box.
The West and South pikes doesn't cross over the text box.
The South East Pike is not touching the ©

The last thing to confirm regarding Urza Saga Lands is if the Misprint Island NO expansion symbol with Bigger Shooting Star 1999 exists. Also, it's possible that other Urza Saga Promos have 2 different Shooting Star versions, I don't own any , only the Big Shooting Shooting star for all the ones, I have:

*Pouncing Jaguar
*Skittering Skirge
*Rewind
*Karn, Silver Golem
*Duress

JUDGE GIFTS
*Lightning Bolt
*Stroke of Genius
*Gaea's Cradle

JUNIOR SUPER SERIES
*Thran Quarry

Hope, it's clear, if anyone has more info, thanks to provide any.
Last edited by dragsamou on Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:17 pm

dragsamou wrote:Also, it's possible that other Urza Saga Promos have 2 different Shooting Star versions, I don't own any , only the Big Shooting Shooting star for all the ones, I have:

*Pouncing Jaguar
*Skittering Skirge
*Rewind
*Karn, Silver Golem
*Duress

JUDGE GIFTS
*Lightning Bolt
*Stroke of Genius
*Gaea's Cradle

JUNIOR SUPER SERIES
*Thran Quarry

Hi Alexis. Really? The scans on this site all look like small stars to me
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/2-rarit ... -1999.html

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:35 pm

l0qii wrote:
dragsamou wrote:Also, it's possible that other Urza Saga Promos have 2 different Shooting Star versions, I don't own any , only the Big Shooting Shooting star for all the ones, I have:

*Pouncing Jaguar
*Skittering Skirge
*Rewind
*Karn, Silver Golem
*Duress

JUDGE GIFTS
*Lightning Bolt
*Stroke of Genius
*Gaea's Cradle

JUNIOR SUPER SERIES
*Thran Quarry

Hi Alexis. Really? The scans on this site all look like small stars to me
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/2-rarit ... -1999.html
Hi Gary

I spend over an hour, on the post just above, to show the difference between the 2 different Shooting Stars, I have to find a name to describe the difference, so maybe Bigger and Big are not the perfect ones as First Foil Card with the Small Shooting Star was the Plains Mercadian Masque. It will have shown better if the zoom version of a card will be available (Like on the Forest), but Mister Foilcard doesn't provide those anymore for years now. If you have better names , to give, let me know, I will gladly change it.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:25 pm

Alexis;

I'm glad you asked as I have been stumbling over the terms myself. Nothing I have come up with really fits perfectly but let me suggest this to see if it would fit for you.

Small star for all stars after Stupor in 2000.
Medium star (the '99 & '00 promos in general (as we have not found more than one size on the non-land promos).
Large star for what is being called "bigger" (those that extend out and touch borders as in your illustrations).

The sizing issue will be called the "bi-focal" factor for all of us that were in blissful ignorance before Gits opened this swamp.

If other size stars are found on the promos we can use (+) or (-) for them.

AND, I would like to suggest that whatever you decide, please include the above scans where you show the difference on the introduction page to the Arena section. Those are very well done and help a lot.

Gary
Gary Adkison

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:35 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:Alexis;

I'm glad you asked as I have been stumbling over the terms myself. Nothing I have come up with really fits perfectly but let me suggest this to see if it would fit for you.

Small star for all stars after Stupor in 2000.
Medium star (the '99 & '00 promos in general (as we have not found more than one size on the non-land promos).
Large star for what is being called "bigger" (those that extend out and touch borders as in your illustrations).

The sizing issue will be called the "bi-focal" factor for all of us that were in blissful ignorance before Gits opened this swamp.

If other size stars are found on the promos we can use (+) or (-) for them.
Hi Gary

Large and Medium Star sounds good, on my way to modify, and I will ask my webmaster to create in the program a third Shooting star Larger than the 2 others ones, so it will be easier to spot in the index.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

califrag

Post by califrag » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:58 pm

I checked all my other promos, duress, jaguar, quarry, island no symbol, nothing else had bigger star.

What about naming the foil star according to 'version' like, 'v1', 'v1.1', 'v2', 'v3' and then just on the page can be a 'legend' to denote the differences between them with links to the post above? How many total version are there? Four right?

Have the new judge promos with the old frame like 'Crucible of Worlds' changed the size of the star yet again? I don't have one to check, so that's why I ask.

Anyways, just figured I would throw that out, in case we end up running out of 'size' words.