Dragon collection

Personal offers and search inquiries about regularly purchasable standard Magic products.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:40 pm

I auctioned the Japanese JJT Two-Headed dragon recently and it ended at $72, for an idea on value.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MTG-Japanese-Fo ... 417ba12732

hunterjwizard
Librarities Member

Post by hunterjwizard » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:47 pm

Apparently there is a non-oversized version of Prossh after all:

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/ ... eid=376461

At least as near as I can tell there is. This is getting frustrating lol

hunterjwizard
Librarities Member

Post by hunterjwizard » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:49 pm

berkumps wrote:I auctioned the Japanese JJT Two-Headed dragon recently and it ended at $72, for an idea on value.

Holly cow... and I know somehow its just going to keep going up in value. Ugh. lol, I better buy a few more of these cards now while I can find them.

matts46570
Librarities Hero

Post by matts46570 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:12 am

I don't think I saw those ones anywhere in this thread, but there are also the Shivan and Dragon Whelp Summer Edition. Good luck at finding them though!

berkumps

Post by berkumps » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:14 am

matts46570 wrote:I don't think I saw those ones anywhere in this thread, but there are also the Shivan and Dragon Whelp Summer Edition. Good luck at finding them though!
Touche!

232 and counting!

Unless you count Dragon Engine as a dragon, then there's even more.

hunterjwizard
Librarities Member

Post by hunterjwizard » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:06 am

matts46570 wrote:I don't think I saw those ones anywhere in this thread, but there are also the Shivan and Dragon Whelp Summer Edition. Good luck at finding them though!
I don't think I'll count Summer Magic as sepperate from revised. The actual cards aren't really any different and Summer Magic was just intended to be a second print-run of Revised. Just not worth the extra effort of including them, given the extreme scarcity I might just go mad. For now I'll leave them off the list.

Lol yeah I definitely don't count Dragon Engine :P its a construct and isn't reffered to as a "dragon" in any source. The Elder Land Wurm, for example, has Wurm as its creature type but is listed among dragons. Hence it makes the list.

Then again... it really wouldn't hurt to throw in... I mean, even revised edition is only 25 cents... AHHHHHHH!!!! *snap* lol. I think I'll plan on not including it for now but take a quick spin through my old cards and see how many I have. It shouldn't count... but I want it to. It would also up the list to 235(237 if I end up counting Summer Magic...)

berkumps

Post by berkumps » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:45 am

I counted Avatar of Fury as a dragon in my collection, but that's just because I liked the way it looked.

hunterjwizard
Librarities Member

Post by hunterjwizard » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:49 am

Certainly looks the part :P If I come across one it'll probably end up in the dragon binder at the very least.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:42 am

Probably an old man's eyesight but I didn't see the Alt 4th dragons on there and it looks like they would need to be there to meet your criteria.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:02 am

Not sure if there would be any Dragons, but there's also Alpha cut 4th, Rivals Quick Start, and Introductory Two Player set.

Tav

hunterjwizard
Librarities Member

Post by hunterjwizard » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:11 am

mystical_tutor wrote:Probably an old man's eyesight but I didn't see the Alt 4th dragons on there and it looks like they would need to be there to meet your criteria.

Gary
What do you mean by Alt 4th?

berkumps

Post by berkumps » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:07 am

cataclysm80 wrote:Not sure if there would be any Dragons, but there's also Alpha cut 4th, Rivals Quick Start, and Introductory Two Player set.

Tav
There is an alpha cut Dragon Whelp, I gave one to a member here a few years ago for their Dragon Whelp global set.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:10 am

Actually a good question. I think it is one of the least correct set names in Magic but that is just an old man babbling on. (I think they should be named USA 4th).

It refers to a printing of 4th Edition cards that was done in the US in an attempt to meet the demands of dealers. It was not fully accepted by WotC because of quality control. Once you learn to note the differences you can tell, even across the table which cards are from this printing. There are some real good pictures someplace on this board that show the differences.

WotC only took delivery of some (a lot, most, all ??) of the starter deck display boxes and released them. There was a law suit, etc etc.

So, they actually are a different "set" and usually considered a regular variation by global collectors. Unlike (IMHO) the "alpha cut" cards that, to me are not a published "set" but just a mistake.

You, however, are the setter of your collection and the only one that can decide what you want to include or ignore.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

hunterjwizard
Librarities Member

Post by hunterjwizard » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:12 am

mystical_tutor wrote:Actually a good question. I think it is one of the least correct set names in Magic but that is just an old man babbling on. (I think they should be named USA 4th).

It refers to a printing of 4th Edition cards that was done in the US in an attempt to meet the demands of dealers. It was not fully accepted by WotC because of quality control. Once you learn to note the differences you can tell, even across the table which cards are from this printing. There are some real good pictures someplace on this board that show the differences.

WotC only took delivery of some (a lot, most, all ??) of the starter deck display boxes and released them. There was a law suit, etc etc.

So, they actually are a different "set" and usually considered a regular variation by global collectors. Unlike (IMHO) the "alpha cut" cards that, to me are not a published "set" but just a mistake.

You, however, are the setter of your collection and the only one that can decide what you want to include or ignore.

Gary
Is the "Alpha cut" anything like Summer Magic?

I've really got 2 objectives here: one is to assemble a master list of all dragon cards ever that can be used by other collectors. The other, of course, is to collect all of them myself.

Concerning the second objective, I am trying to keep out the stupifyingly-rare-yet-not-very-different cards(like Summer Magic), simply because I haven't really got hundreds of dollars to drop on a single card and I feel I'd suffer heaping buyer's remorse for a "slightly different" card.

Of course I suppose by those criteria I should at include things like Summer Magic anyway at least on the master list. But the question remains: is there even such a card? I guess we have confirmed the existence of an Alpha cut Dragon Whelp, so that's one step.

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:21 am

hunterjwizard wrote:
berkumps wrote:I auctioned the Japanese JJT Two-Headed dragon recently and it ended at $72, for an idea on value.

Holly cow... and I know somehow its just going to keep going up in value. Ugh. lol, I better buy a few more of these cards now while I can find them.
They were worth more a year or two ago. I don't think they're really going anywhere.