Spectrum Fantastic Art Live 2013 - May 17-19, 2013

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

fancycakes

Spectrum Fantastic Art Live 2013 - May 17-19, 2013

Post by fancycakes » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:25 pm

The Spectrum Fantastic Art Live event will be back in KC this year. It looks like a few members, including myself, attended last year and had pretty good results picking up artist proofs, alters, signatures, prints and original art. I will definitely be making the trip again.

Spectrum Fantastic Art Live
May 17-19, 2013
Grand Ballroom of Bartle Hall
Kansas City, MO

Link:http://www.spectrumfantasticart.com/spe ... =sfal_home
-Ryan-

Ertai's Familiar
Librarities Legend

Post by Ertai's Familiar » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:45 am

Look at all those artists!
squt: Sweet! That's the best trade - one that doesn't cost a thing.

pickle.69: NO DRINK ON THE FUCKING TABLE

Royal Ass.
Librarities Hero

Post by Royal Ass. » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:36 am

If I'm in town I'm gonna try to make it to this. I missed last year.
Ci sono cose che succedono ai vivi non ai morti.

Ertai's Familiar
Librarities Legend

Post by Ertai's Familiar » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:38 pm

Anyone with past experience know how easy it is to aquire signatures/what is the best day and time to do so?
Last edited by Ertai's Familiar on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:43 pm

Ertai's Familiar wrote:I'm considering doing a 21 hour drive for this. Bleh.

Anyone with past experience know how easy it is to aquire signatures/what is the best day and time to do so?
It's very easy, and doesn't really matter what time you go.

Ertai's Familiar
Librarities Legend

Post by Ertai's Familiar » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:52 pm

l0qii wrote:
Ertai's Familiar wrote:Anyone with past experience know how easy it is to aquire signatures/what is the best day and time to do so?
It's very easy, and doesn't really matter what time you go.
Thanks Tim.
Last edited by Ertai's Familiar on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:52 pm

Agreed - well worth the trip!!!

I'll be back again this year - the wife already booked the hotel (woot).

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

Ertai's Familiar
Librarities Legend

Post by Ertai's Familiar » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:29 pm

I do not know much about Kansas City, is a car needed to get around the city? I should probably just Google these things but I figured I'd ask people who have visited before.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:56 pm

I didn't stray far from the convention center, and stayed at the Aladdin hotel, which is one of the 2 that offer con rates, and also hosted the figure drawing workshop on the top floor.

Not sure why you'd want to do anything else in town, but there is a Performing Arts Center 1 block over. ;)

There are several places to eat within easy walking distance, and if you're willing to go slightly outside there comfort zone, there is a really good German/Austrian restaurant called Grunauer a mile south of the convention.

Ertai's Familiar
Librarities Legend

Post by Ertai's Familiar » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:02 pm

l0qii wrote:I didn't stray far from the convention center, and stayed at the Aladdin hotel, which is one of the 2 that offer con rates, and also hosted the figure drawing workshop on the top floor.

Not sure why you'd want to do anything else in town, but there is a Performing Arts Center 1 block over. ;)

There are several places to eat within easy walking distance, and if you're willing to go slightly outside there comfort zone, there is a really good German/Austrian restaurant called Grunauer a mile south of the convention.
Thank you this was really helpful, already started looking at Aladdin. I guess you are correct about activities considering the con will take up most of my time, I was thinking about late night.

Blood
Librarities Hero

Post by Blood » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:44 pm

I went last year and it was a great great time. The artists are in their booths basically all day each day besides the workshops that some of them do. I probably got 1500 cards signed last year. I bought about 100 proofs, with 25 having sketches on them.

I did not buy any original magic art, but ended up purchasing at least 12 NON-magic posters/screen prints/original watercolor/books ect. It really had a ton of great stuff there.

I went to a Royals game while there, and while that is an expensive cab ride, it was well worth it. The stadium has a ton of fountains in it. As a side note, I believe I heard that Kansas City has the most fountains located inside a city outside of Italy. I may be wrong there, but I think I am right.

I also played a round of frisbee golf while there, and the course is great. I am planning on playing another round there this year, so if any of you play, please hit me up.

Make sure if you get the weekend pass that you go to the awards ceremony Saturday night. It is really cool. They had all the artists there and performers and beer.

There are a ton of great restaurants downtown and you will not have a hard time finding great places to eat. I met up with an artist for dinner Saturday night and they we attended the awards show. Again I would recommend checking that out.

Last year I arrived a day before and stayed 2 extra days and made a nice little trip out of it. Kansas City is a cool place.

Hope this helps, Jason

Ertai's Familiar
Librarities Legend

Post by Ertai's Familiar » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:52 pm

Thanks Jason, that sounds great!

Blood
Librarities Hero

Post by Blood » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:44 pm

Ertai's Familiar wrote:Thanks Jason, that sounds great!
Hey, not a problem. If you do go, let me know and we can meet up. Jared and I are meeting up and you are free to join us.
Last edited by Blood on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Royal Ass.
Librarities Hero

Post by Royal Ass. » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:45 pm

I live in KC. If you get a hotel downtown you shouldn't need a car, though generally our city has horrible public transit. You can probably get a shuttle from the Airport to downtown though.

There is a lot of night life and restaurants downtown so that shouldn't be a problem. But you might have to take a cab to get to some of our more famous BBQ restaurants. Hit up Gates BBQ, Arthur Bryants, or Oklahoma Joes (near Frisbee golf!) Or check out the Blue Room in the Jazz district at 18th and Vine.

Lots of stuff to do downtown but be prepared to spend a few cab fares if you don't bring your car.

Not sure if I'll make it to this but if I do I'll post something here first. I put it on my calender, but might be in Italy visiting relatives then.

Does anyone have a list of all the MTG artists from this event. I recognize a lot of names but probably don't know them all.
Ci sono cose che succedono ai vivi non ai morti.

Blood
Librarities Hero

Post by Blood » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:47 pm

Royal Ass. wrote:Does anyone have a list of all the MTG artists from this event. I recognize a lot of names but probably don't know them all.
This is what I can gather so far from the site.

Allen Williams
 April Lee
 Brom
 Chris Rahn
 Dan Dos Santos
 Dan Scott
 Daren Bader
 Dave Dorman
 David Palumbo
 Donato Giancola
 Drew Baker
 Franz Vohwinkel