Question - buyer requesting high res scans

Everything else about trading. Specific Magiclibrarities Hero and Legends Permanent Lists and Legends External Links.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Rainsford
Librarities Legend

Question - buyer requesting high res scans

Post by Rainsford » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:08 am

Hello,

I have a group of 55 Alpha Island Sanctuarys up for sale right now. (5% of the print run.) :-)

Anyway, I have a potential buyer asking for high res scans of all the cards.

Questions: Is there anything that can be done nefariously by the buyer if I send the high res scans to him? Or is the request for high res scans legitimate?

I always worry they (the buyer) will take the scan and use the image for their own auctions. I have no clue why that might ever happen with island Sanctuarys. LOL. But I just wanted to check in and see what people thought.

Best regards,

Rainsford

Jess
Legendary Wet Dreams Tokens Creator

Post by Jess » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:22 am

I guess it's pretty standard now.

As far as I'm concerned, I've had a lot of requests for scans, and most of them have transformed into a solid sale... ;)
Artist for Neo-Token.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:46 pm

If the lot contains near mint or better cards, then hi-res scans can help a bidder decide if getting cards graded is worthwhile. When you are talking Alpha rares, a few "9" or "10" cards can go a long way towards paying for a bulk lot.

And hi-res scans can confirm Alphas aren't butchered Betas.

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:49 pm

also, then there is less work for him if he wants to resell :)

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:20 pm

Send the scans but watermark them with embedded image not a layer so it can't be removed. Protects your image and satisfies the buyer. GLWTS

sdematt
Librarities Hero

Post by sdematt » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:45 pm

I actually saw this auctions and was interested, but then it ended and I forgot about it :P

-Matt
"I'm your Huckleberry"

Collector of Beta/Alpha Dual Lands

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:22 am

55 high res scans, I assume front and back.

That will take you a long time, even if you don't do them individually. And the files will be big.

On the plus side, if the buyer takes receipt and then tries to say they were not as described you have some proof.

I have heard of coin sellers who send out slabbed coins, only to have the buyer send them back. The scam involves cracking the coin out of the slab, substituting a lesser graded coin and sending the broken slab and coin back to the seller claiming the coin was damaged in the post.

I can't think of any current scams that involve high res scans so I assume that it is as others have mentioned, there could be a few good cards and the rest could be rubbish and the buyer just wants to protect themselves.

I have no idea why anyone would want so many of them!

I am not a fan of grading but I would certainly take the best 5 and get them graded. Sell the other 50 as a group. I am pretty sure whoever buys them will be looking to do exactly that, grade them best ones and sell the other ones individually.

Rainsford
Librarities Legend

Post by Rainsford » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:38 am

LOL - there are a few NM in the lot. Not worth getting graded. (They are nice cards, but not grade-worthy, if that makes sense.) And I have another 60+ more left in my collection. I may have to look through those and grade the best 10 or so. :-)

the good thing about Island Sanctuarys is that there is a text difference between the Alpha version and all others. Corner cur Betas just won't work! (Which is why I started collecting them.)

Yeah - the time it will take to scan them will be a pain. But the watermarking is a good idea.

Thank you for all the feedback everyone!

Best regards,

Rainsford