thoughts about altered art

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

thoughts about altered art

Post by dry cereal » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:53 am

I think of altered art cards as a form of nerdy folk art. I really like them. Even poorly made ones. I actually especially like poorly made alters :). It shows they were made out of some other motive than "hey, I can do this really well and I'll make a million bucks". Often times, that motive is: I think I'm a lot funnier than I am, but that has its own charms :). Also, I like when players come up with their own cards, because that is another form of folk art in my eyes. What do you guys think? Do you look down on it unless it is really good?

Best,
Ben

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:37 am

Not a fan, even when it is done well.

Even a signature on a card makes me cringe! At least the alterations are done to your own property. However we coin collectors have a saying 'You don't own your collection, you are just holding on to it for the next generation.' Which is why we do our best to preserve the coins in as original condirion as possible.

Cardboard is a bit different I suppose, and I actually like it when people de-ink a foil and print a Black Lotus proxy on it.

I also like it when people cut up 10 cards to make a 3D version.

I probably have a few issues to work on, it just seems to be painters I have a problem with. I think it is because I see it as plagerism, they are taking someone elses work as the base for their own, particularly if they are just extending over the borders.

They have a lot of skill, I have seen a few of the tutorials and they obviously know how to mix and match colours, but I say if you have the skills, produce some original work and sell that to Wizards if you want to see it on a card.

Some of the manga alters, which bear no relationship to magic, let alone the original card, have me scratching my head, sure, who doesn't want to be looking at scantily clad school girls, but in the middle of a game of magic, I need full concentration just to remember what the cards do.

Plus you can't complete a set of altereds as they never end.

On a side note, when did they start? I don't remember them appearing before the full art lands of unglued. So the full art cards are derivative of unglued anyway and not an original concept. What about textless alters, was that Wizards again or was than an original idea from the card alterers?

Mark

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:26 am

I like how the people extend the borders and remove the original artists signature and then put their own sig or initial in there like they did something remarkable...

markers
Legendary Signed Card collector

Post by markers » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:23 pm

The only alters that I find worthy to collect are the ones done by the original artists. Those are great. Having the guy/girl that drew the original picture extend/doodle on a signed version of the card is the pinnacle of collecting (for me).

The random dude alters are a 200%-nono and I would never ever buy such a Magic card. They might look great (this philipine guy does great dual alters) but what does he have to do with the card? Nothing...It s like collecting Magic cards signatures from celebs...If the people have nothing to do with the card it s worthless...
Last edited by markers on Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Signed card collector

Alpha - AL, ST, EX, UD, REV, UNL, LO & MO: 100% signed
Grand Total signed cards: >43'000

I have a Youtube Channel

notsofasteddie
Librarities Legend

Post by notsofasteddie » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:25 pm

markers wrote:The only alters that I find worthy to collect are the ones done by the original artists....
+1

yvel
Librarities Legend

Post by yvel » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:15 pm

markers wrote:The only alters that I find worthy to collect are the ones done by the original artists....
+2

I collecte signed cards as you for specific sets, except that, I never keep signed cards...same for alters.
I'm not a pimper player, so pay 200% of the value of an alter is not my cup of tea :D

Tristal
Librarities Member

Post by Tristal » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:55 pm

I have no problem if somebody wants to alter a Plains or something, but when someone defaces a Mox, I consider it a loss for the entire community.

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:05 pm

Tristal wrote:I have no problem if somebody wants to alter a Plains or something, but when someone defaces a Mox, I consider it a loss for the entire community.
I would agree to a point but I've seen some pretty cool alterations to Mox's that were in terrible shape. Which I don't feel hurts the value since they're already extremely worn. I've also seen alterations done to NM Power which just kills me.
BGS 9+ Alpha set 282/295 (97.29%) Avg 9.41
BGS 9.5+ Beta set 283/302 (93.71%) Avg 9.58
BGS 9.5+ Arabian set 35/92 (38.04%) Avg 9.62
BGS 9.5+ Antiquities set 82/100 (82%) Avg 9.64
BGS 9.5+ Legends set 279/310 (90.00%) Avg 9.61

Tristal
Librarities Member

Post by Tristal » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:42 pm

Magic61983 wrote:
Tristal wrote:I have no problem if somebody wants to alter a Plains or something, but when someone defaces a Mox, I consider it a loss for the entire community.
I would agree to a point but I've seen some pretty cool alterations to Mox's that were in terrible shape. Which I don't feel hurts the value since they're already extremely worn. I've also seen alterations done to NM Power which just kills me.
For me, even heavily played power shouldn't be altered. It eventually will get to a point where you can't find any non-altered power.

NeRo
Librarities Legend

Post by NeRo » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:23 am

Magic61983 wrote:I would agree to a point but I've seen some pretty cool alterations to Mox's that were in terrible shape.
You mean the Ponies?

Generally I like artist altered cards but the pricing is somewhat unreasonable on a lot of that stuff. I dislike naked anime girls on cards, "japanazied" cards and such though. Also those cards are mostly even more overpriced than regular artist alters. Weird stuff for me.
Last edited by NeRo on Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:31 am

NO NSFW Links please without warning

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:31 am

Actually...I think I have changed my mind...

NeRo
Librarities Legend

Post by NeRo » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:22 pm

mmgun wrote:NO NSFW Links please without warning
I am really sorry. Won't happen again.

dry cereal

Post by dry cereal » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:05 pm

Tristal wrote:
Magic61983 wrote:
For me, even heavily played power shouldn't be altered. It eventually will get to a point where you can't find any non-altered power.
that's like saying, someday all chaos confettis will be ripped to shreds

dry cereal

Post by dry cereal » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:11 pm

Wow, this is fascinating because I cannot disagree more with many of the comments above.

Alters are just another way for magic players to express themselves in a medium they are comfortable with.

I love both good and bad alters, and sometimes gives me an interesting view into the painter, their interpretation of the original art, and what subjects they were interested in at the time. Even if it is a goofy anime alter, it is a representation of the artist, and what magic players are interested in.

I feel there is little harm in a person taking credit for the alteration, as the original artist will be forever associated with the name of the card, and a buyer can always find access to who the original artist is. I don't feel they are trying to being misleading, but showing pride in their efforts.