Gen Con 2012

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

jamesbond
Legendary Secret British Agent

Gen Con 2012

Post by jamesbond » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:00 am

I'd like to know if the Gen Con will held the famous Vintage/Legacy Worlds Championship this year but i can't find any info...

Does anyone know the info or who i must contact to have it?

I really want to come this year, but only if they're thoses championships or some kind of interesting tournaments like this. I don't want to spend 2000€+ in a trip where I'll play only 8-men drafts :wink:

(I already know the Gen Con will held the "Magic World Cup", but it's on qualification ...)
Last edited by jamesbond on Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Apocalypse2K
Legendary Apocalypse Tempest Collector

Re: Gen Con 2012

Post by Apocalypse2K » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:28 am

https://registration.gencon.com/
Gen Con announces Event Registration opens at May 20th.
When registration starts, every events can search and register.
jamesbond wrote:I'd like to know if the Gen Con will held the famous Vintage/Legacy Worlds Championship this year but i can't find any info...

Does anyone know the info or who i must contact to have it?

I really want to come this year, but only if they're thoses championships or some kind of interesting tournaments like this. I don't want to spend 2000€+ in a trip where I'll play only 8-men drafts :wink:

(I already know the Gen Con will held the "Magic World Cup", but it's on qualification ...)

Blood
Librarities Hero

Post by Blood » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:25 pm

I just purchased my badge for Gencon this summer after reading this forum. (thanks for the reminder!) I was there last year, and now that I know how things work, hopefully I will actually be able to meet some of you this year.

My group this year is renting a 15 passenger van and driving from PA to Indy and I think it will be a blast.

I do know last year Vintage champs (won by my friend Mark Hornung), Legacy champs and Block champs were all there and were all open to the public.

If you do go, Buy your badge during the preregistration time and get it shipped to you. Last year I waited in line for almost 2 hours Wednesday night waiting for my badge. I will never make that mistake again.

Hopefully there will be a Librarities meetup again this year, as I missed it last year because I had no idea where anything was and was very overwhelmed by the whole convention.

Man I am excited now to go and it is 6 months away. Hopefully we can use this thread to get an idea of all who is going. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I will help as much as I can. Jason

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:11 pm

The GenCon people probably won't have a clue about what WotC will conduct--or have their contractor conduct. With literally gobbs and gobbs of events over the 4 days they are scrambling with things like overflow rooms, power, dealers, venders, security, ad infinitum, ad nasium.

Best bet is to snap off a question to Customer Service at WotC.

Jason and all others that are interested.

1) Peter has promised me there will be no 3 hour waits in line this year (Jason you were lucky yours was only 2). a couple of unexpected things happened that impacted on the lines. There was a 25% (6,000 people) increase over the year before and for some reason the online pre-registration was allowed to keep regestering people much later than normal. Thus, many people that would have been standing in the line waiting to register were standing in the line to pick up their badges and whereas there were many booths prepared to register there was only a few passing out badges--that took some time to adjust.

Having said all that. Be proactive, register early and have the badge sent to you. You will not regret it.

2) HAY YA, lets plan ahead and have a get-to-gather. Champions worked fine last year but if more show up it could be a problem. Throw up some ideas here and lets see what we can come up with.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:30 am

I don't think I can risk going this year. There was so much theft last year, and my cards are pretty much irreplaceable.

Ertai's Familiar
Librarities Legend

Post by Ertai's Familiar » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:55 am

Tha_Gunslinga wrote:I don't think I can risk going this year. There was so much theft last year, and my cards are pretty much irreplaceable.
squt: Sweet! That's the best trade - one that doesn't cost a thing.

pickle.69: NO DRINK ON THE FUCKING TABLE

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:34 am

Tha_Gunslinga wrote:I don't think I can risk going this year. There was so much theft last year, and my cards are pretty much irreplaceable.
Do you need to bring your cards?

Blood
Librarities Hero

Post by Blood » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:53 pm

dry cereal wrote:
Do you need to bring your cards?
Or really, Do you need to bring your Irreplaceable ones? I know your collection is top 10 in world, but just don't bring those pieces that would be replaceable/too valuable if stolen. I am sure you can find a regular brainstorm to play in your vintage deck (I can bring one for you if need be). :wink: :-D

In all seriousness though, I do agree there was a ton of theft last year, but I also think 100% that if you take the right precautions, other than a Smash and Grab job, it seams pretty hard to get your stuff stolen. I have a carabiner on my pack to attach it to my chair around my leg while playing. I use a plastic part of the bag for the carabiner so they can not just cut the strap. I also use a bunch of small s clips to keep the zippers shut. It never leaves my site, and only contains what I need that day.

It sucks that it has to come to that, but this is the world we live in today. I feel strongly about not letting other people run how I live my life. Short of walking into a war torn nation unarmed, I am going to do the things I want to do, regardless of the other miscreants of the world. I live that I am not going to let fear stop me from doing the things I want to do. A friend of mine refuses to fly, but drives 45 minutes to work everyday. To me that is ridiculous. Way more people die every year in cars than planes, and the odds of dying in a car crash vs a plane crash are are not even close (1 in 100 vs 1 in 20,000 over your lifetime). Anyway just my thoughts on the matter. Jason

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:16 pm

I can't play Vintage worlds without running my misprinted power, unless I go out and buy new pieces, and half the fun of Vintage for me is playing my misprints. There were decks stolen off of tables last year, and I am not going to risk that happening. Tons of people "took precautions" and still had stuff stolen. There were thefts from dealers in the dealer hall as well.

I'm not going to let fear prevent me from flying or driving or whatever, but I talked to enough people who had stuff stolen at Gencon last year that I don't think I will be back again.

Keevy Bogsbury
Librarities Member

Post by Keevy Bogsbury » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:01 pm

Wow, I never realized there was as much theft taking place as that at GenCon. That's honestly just really sad. :-(

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:18 pm

Yea I don't know what I'm going to do either. I always feel a bit uneasy walking around with irreplaceable misprints & test prints anymore. Dragon Whelp & Alpha playtest decks stay home all the time now... used to go just to play with those. Shame.

Blood
Librarities Hero

Post by Blood » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:08 pm

Tha_Gunslinga wrote:half the fun of Vintage for me is playing my misprints.
Understood and I agree with you 100%. It sucks that a small % of scumbags have to ruin it for everyone.

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:26 pm

Blood wrote:
Understood and I agree with you 100%. It sucks that a small % of scumbags have to ruin it for everyone.
This is one of the reasons I don't go to T1 events anymore. I don't want to have my deck swiped. I don't blame Ben at all for not wanting to take his stuff to Gencon.
BGS 9+ Alpha set 282/295 (97.29%) Avg 9.41
BGS 9.5+ Beta set 283/302 (93.71%) Avg 9.58
BGS 9.5+ Arabian set 35/92 (38.04%) Avg 9.62
BGS 9.5+ Antiquities set 82/100 (82%) Avg 9.64
BGS 9.5+ Legends set 279/310 (90.00%) Avg 9.61

Ertai's Familiar
Librarities Legend

Post by Ertai's Familiar » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:44 pm

Magic61983 wrote:
Blood wrote:
This is one of the reasons I don't go to T1 events anymore. I don't want to have my deck swiped. I don't blame Ben at all for not wanting to take his stuff to Gencon.
Exactly. My collection doesn't even approach his and I still squirm any time I have to bring my cards to events.

You could always bring M. Solymossy to scare people away.
squt: Sweet! That's the best trade - one that doesn't cost a thing.

pickle.69: NO DRINK ON THE FUCKING TABLE

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:11 am

Tha_Gunslinga wrote: There were decks stolen off of tables last year, and I am not going to risk that happening. Tons of people "took precautions" and still had stuff stolen. There were thefts from dealers in the dealer hall as well.
I'd like a pm of just what you did hear. I thought there had been a good tightning of security last year as compared to some previous years but if "Tons" of people that did take percautions lost stuff I'm sure I know someone that would like that information. The numbers we have were not that bad--or did people not report their losses?

Dealers of all sorts (not just Magic) suffer from thefts and I sure wish it wouldn't happen but it does.

Happily the only thing I have had stolen was in Italy years ago. Still hate to think about it. 9 Italian Mana Drains....

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.