Spectrum Live -- Kansas City 5/18-5/20/2012

Information about new Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

notsofasteddie
Librarities Legend

Spectrum Live -- Kansas City 5/18-5/20/2012

Post by notsofasteddie » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:49 pm

Spectrum Fantastic Art Live! is a natural extension of the eighteen-year success of the award-winning Spectrum art annual. As an international melting pot of talent, Spectrum: The Best In Contemporary Fantastic Art has come to symbolize the vibrancy, diversity, and overall excellence of the creative community.

Check out the list of exhibitors!!

http://www.spectrumfantasticart.com/spe ... _exhibitor

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:58 pm

WOW....

I would love to go to that!!! The progress I could make on my signed set would be staggering :-D

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

Royal Ass.
Librarities Hero

Post by Royal Ass. » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:22 pm

Thanks for posting this. I live in Kansas City. Hopefully I don't forget about this in 6 months now!

I recognize Brom and Donato and some others. Does anyone know what other Magic artists will be there?
Ci sono cose che succedono ai vivi non ai morti.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:12 pm

Royal Ass. wrote:Thanks for posting this. I live in Kansas City. Hopefully I don't forget about this in 6 months now!

I recognize Brom and Donato. Does anyone know what other Magic artists will be there?
EDIT: I tried hyperlinking each artist to gatherer so you can see which cards they illustrated, however the links don't seem to work, so you can search yourself I suppose :p

Brom

Donato Giancola

Gary Gianni

Dave Dorman

Paul Bonner

Dan Dos Santos

Jon Foster

Omar Rayyan

Chris Rahn

Drew Baker

Daren Bader

Eric Deschamps

Dave DeVries

Marc Fishman

Jason Felix

E.M. Gist

Michael C. Hayes

Lucas Graciano

Randy Gallegos

Daarken

Peter Mohrbacher

Jeff Miracola

Mark Poole

Jim Pavelec

R.K. Post

Steve Prescott

David Palumbo

Anthony Palumbo

Winona Nelson

Ryan Pancoast

Vincent Proce

Matt Stawicki

Dan Scott

Ruth Thompson

Stephan Martiniere

Allen Williams

Steve Argyle

John Stanko

Volkan Baga

Michael Whelan

Franz Vohwinkel

Wayne Reynolds

Greg Spalenka

Thomas Gianni

Todd Lockwood

Mark A. Nelson

Iain McCaig

Royal Ass.
Librarities Hero

Post by Royal Ass. » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:01 pm

Thanks Berkumps!!!

Ertai's Familiar
Librarities Legend

Post by Ertai's Familiar » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:38 pm

So many cards I wanted to get signed by people at this. Ugh.

Edit: UGH... just did a search, so much more then I thought.

Edit: Only a 23 hour drive from Boston!
squt: Sweet! That's the best trade - one that doesn't cost a thing.

pickle.69: NO DRINK ON THE FUCKING TABLE

andytalaga
Librarities Legend

Post by andytalaga » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:10 am

anyone plan of going to this? would love to get some cards signed especially by brom/get prints etc. he's one of my favs

Royal Ass.
Librarities Hero

Post by Royal Ass. » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:09 pm

I made a list of all the notable cards that these artists have done that are eternal/edh playable as well as cards that have some sort of iconic status or are simply personally interesting to me. There are certainly many cards that I left off that others would find interesting or playable etc. I made this list to help myself with gathering cards to take to this even to get signed, but thought I would post the list here in case it helps others. It took awhile to go through each artist so it could save someone some time.

Brom
Gemstone Mine
Platinum Angel

Donato Giancola
Bant Panorama
Chrome Mox
Coalition Relic
Dismiss
Memory Jar
Mirari
Peacekeeper
Rack and Ruin

Gary Gianni
Suq'Ata Assassin

Dave Dorman
Fireball
Goblin Assassin
Hanna, Ship's Navigator
Richard Garfield, Ph.D.
Shrapnel Blast

Paul Bonner
-

Dan Dos Santos
Rhox War Monk

Jon Foster
Dragonskull Summit
Extirpate
Shock M12
Time Warp M10

Omar Rayyan
-

Chris Rahn
Blightsteel Colossus
Crosis, the Purger
Glissa, the Traitor
Lodestone Golem
Phyrexian Ingester
Qasali Pridemage
Steel Overseer
Sword of Body and Mind
Sword of Feast and Famine
Sword of War and Peace

Drew Baker
Tumble Magnet
Purify the Grave

Daren Bader
Akroma, Angel of Fury
Argothian Enchantress
Condemn
Deep Analysis
Island Unglued
Treasure Hunt

Eric Deschamps
Celestial Colonnade
Cryptoplasm
Garruk Relentless
Grand Abolisher
Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
Mirran Crusader
Mortarpod
Olivia Voldaren
Phyrexian Crusader
Porcelain Legionnaire
Vampire Hexmage
Venser, the Sojourner
Plated Geopede

Dave DeVries
Simian Spirit Guide

Marc Fishman
-
Jason Felix
All Is Dust
Creeping Tar Pit
Laboratory Maniac
Lashwrithe

E.M. Gist
-
Michael C. Hayes
-
Lucas Graciano
-
Randy Gallegos
Accumulated Knowledge
Darkblast
Shock Original Stronghold

Daarken
Birthing Pod
Blasphemous Act
Contagion Engine
Korlash, Heir to Blackblade
Nature's Claim
Praetor's Counsel
Steel Sabotage

Peter Mohrbacher
Gavony Township
Ghost Quarter
Bloodgift Demon

Jeff Miracola
Donate
Firespout
Frantic Search
Manamorphose
Propaganda
Sterling Grove
Suq'Ata Lancer

Mark Poole
Ali from Cairo
Amnesia
Ancestral Vision
Balance
Birds of Paradise
Bronze Horse
Cancel
Counterspell
Ebon Stronghold
Fastbond
Festival
Gaea's Touch
Incinerate IceAge
Island Beta
King Suleiman
Library of Alexandria
Tropical Island

Jim Pavelec
-

R.K. Post
Ichorid
Morphling
Silent Assassin

Steve Prescott
Fauna Shaman
Gideon's Lawkeeper

David Palumbo
Chimeric Mass
Cancel

Anthony Palumbo
Contagion Clasp
Cultivate

Winona Nelson
-

Ryan Pancoast
Army of the Damned
Creeping Corrosion
Mind Control
Plague Stinger
Treasure Mage

Vincent Proce
Day of Judgment
Tectonic Edge
Tree of Redemption

Matt Stawicki
-

Dan Scott
Kavu Predator
Ninja of the Deep Hours
Ponder
Repeal
Slagstorm
Solemn Simulacrum

Ruth Thompson
-

Stephan Martiniere
Dark Depths and Token
Phyrexian Vatmother

Allen Williams
Revoke Existence

Steve Argyle
Chandra Ablaze
Everflowing Chalice
Hive Mind
Liliana of the Veil
Praetor's Grasp

John Stanko
Desperate Ravings

Volkan Baga
Elspeth, Knight-Errant
Halimar Depths
Mox Opal
Snapcaster Mage

Michael Whelan
Nalathni Dragon

Franz Vohwinkel
Buried Ruin
Expedition Map
Fire // Ice (Fire)
Glacial Fortress
Magus of the Moon
Myr Battlesphere
Nihil Spellbomb
Oblivion Ring
Origin Spellbomb
Sword of the Meek

Wayne Reynolds
Ajani Vengeant
Fiend Hunter
Knight of the Reliquary
Tempered Steel
Wild Nacatl

Greg Spalenka
-

Thomas Gianni
Abeyance
Tower of the Magistrate

Todd Lockwood
Angel of Despair
Path to Exile
Phyrexian Obliterator
Raging Ravine
Sharuum the Hegemon
Sun Titan

Mark A. Nelson
Trinket Mage
Remand

Iain McCaig
-

RMayor
Librarities Legend

Post by RMayor » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:42 am

I am officially going !! :)

If anyone has any special requests for anything, feel free to send me a PM.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Mon May 21, 2012 7:59 pm

So who went?

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Mon May 21, 2012 11:58 pm

I made it - one of the best times I ever had, so much fun.

I talked with the wife and we decided to make it a family trip. The drive was just under 8 hours without stopping, so it took about 9 total. My two daughters and I drove down on Friday (they got to miss school for a trip... big plus in their book). The wife was in Texas on business, so she flew in late Friday to meet us.

The three of us got in about 3:30 and checked in, and then headed down to the convention center. It took a little doing, but eventually we found it, got parked, and made it to the registration area. There was a massive quitling convention going on, so it was a little surreal in the building until we found where we needed to go. I had preregistered so they had my badge (and the girls got in free); we got everything and headed in.

Once inside..... WOW!!! I have never seen so many incredible artist in one place - an absolute fantasy. I was only there 2 hours on Friday but was able to meet Randy Gallegos, Brom, Michael Whelan, Matt Stewart, Franz Vohewinkel, Steve Belledin, Eric Deschamps, Mark Nelson, Matt Stawiki, Steve Argyle, and Rob Alexander (again) and Mark Poole (again), just off the top of my head. I must've spent almost an hour of that time talking to Poole - such a great guy. I got a bunch of sigs and some AP's, including a few I was to pick up the next day. After leaving we met my wife back at the hotel room. My girls teased me on the drive back, saying "daddy, you really had fun in there, didn't you?" and "you're such a nerd". No arguement from me :-D

The next day my girls traded up and decided to go shopping with mom, so they dumped me off at the convention center in the morning and I was there all day. Let's just say I brought some food with me, along with $250 - by the end of the day I still hadn't eaten anything and was broke... what a great time. I met so many artists I don't think I can list them all: John Stanko, Peter Mohrbacher, Dan Dos Santos, Jason Engle, Daren Bader, Volkan Baga, Drew Baker, Paul Bonner, Darkeen, Jason Felix, Donato Giancola, Gary Gianni, Lucas Graciano, Michael C. Hayes, Vance Kovacs, Stephan Martiniere, Iain McCaig, Jeff Miracola, Winona Nelson, Anthony Palumbo, David Palumbo, Ryan Pancoast, Jim Pavelec, rk post, Vincent Proce, Chris Rahn, Omar Rayyan, Wayne Reynolds, Dan Scott, Greg Spalenka, and Justin Sweet. In addition, one of the best people I got to meet was a fellow forum member - Blood (hi Jason!!).

After I got picked up I had a quick bite at Wendy's, and then some quality time with the family in the pool at the hotel. Once everyone was showered and dried off we watched some TV in the room and had popcorn, until we couldn't stay awake.

The next day I had to hit the show for a couple of hours to see a few artists I'd missed (George Pratt, Shelley Wan, and Brian Despain), plus revisit a couple I'd already seen. After that a nice relaxing car ride home, so I could unpack and get to work by 11PM... ugh.

I really haven't had any time to get a final tally of my haul; I know I got 28 AP's with sketches and over 1K of cards signed - once I have a chance to sit down I'll give the final numbers (if anyone cares). It was great to meet so many new artists and put a face with the ones I've mailed to. I don't know how many times I got "... oh, so you're Jared, nice to meet you" from different artists. Eric Deschamp had just sent me some proofs so he recognized my name right away, and Daren remembered having 3 cards for me on his desk (lol). They all said I "was doing it right" and I could keep sending, so that was great to hear.

I will post some specific stories about varoius artists in a day or so - we're busy at work (OT), and my daughter needs me to use what little time I have at home to help her with homework. Just figured I'd chime in with a little info.

Again - best... time... ever!!!

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

Blood
Librarities Hero

Post by Blood » Tue May 22, 2012 1:35 am

thulnanth wrote:best... time... ever!!!
What a great trip. I am at a hotel in KC still, just got done 18 holes of Frisbee golf. I think I might have the 1000 cards beat! I will have to count when I get back home. This was an absolute must attend in my mind and I will be going back 100 % next year. I will type up a nice report on the plane home tomorrow to post. Jason

Edit. Great meeting you Thulnanth. That was definitely one of the highlights of my trip. You want to hear some GREAT stories of back in the day magic, or artist signings and such, talk to this guy. Hope you decide to not wait 9 years to go to another show!

RMayor
Librarities Legend

Post by RMayor » Tue May 22, 2012 1:48 am

I went also.

Had a great time as well. I came home with 35 artist proofs of my own, and a rather LARGE sum of them for Kalimno.

I also have a entire Ultra Pro album of signed cards and a couple of prints.

I went solo (the wife passed on a weekend to exciting KC), so I only went for Friday and Saturday.

If they have the show again next year, it should be even better. Numerous artists said they were not expecting many Magic collectors, so they did not bring proofs or prints.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Tue May 22, 2012 3:41 am

I can wait to see some pics of the things you all got.

I went as well, but actually didn't buy a whole lot as I have some other expenses to deal with at the moment.

I got in late friday, so couldn't pick up my badge but did get to mingle on the outdoor patio of the convention center and at the hotel bar afterwards. Saturday I went to a few panels and of course walked around the exhibition hall. Also have to say there is some GREAT food in KC, much better than Wendy's! Met a lot of great people, but sorry I missed all you guys from the forum! Sunday I had to drive home, so only got a couple hours in before having to leave.

implode
Legendary Dragon Master Collector

Post by implode » Wed May 23, 2012 10:19 pm

doh, why did I not see this thread earlier--2 hour drive to kc for a ton of sigs would have been so worth it.