redux: if its too good to be true...

Everything about Interesting Magic-related Auction Sites auctions, Auction Sites Problems, Inquiries and MTG Commercial Websites.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot
Legendary Lost Ace of Atlantis

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:56 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:The very good observation that all his feedback was as a buyer. I never thought to check it that way. Thanks.

Set up a bogus account, buy a few things, put out the bait and reel them in.

Gary
I wanted to see if the seller had sold anything else like this, or if the seller sold, I don't know, video games or homemade jams and jellies, etc. I also wanted to see what the buyers had said about the auctions. When I saw that all of the feedback was as a buyer, and that all of it was old, either this is an infrequent user and the auction could almost be legit, or (now that I think upon it further) it more likely is a hacked account.

but yeah, some people don't do enough research on new sellers to see what the previously sold items' feedback is. winning a few auctions and getting a few positives, then doing scam auctions is nothing new. just hasn't been done frequently recently. which is why I think that if this is a "scam" auction it is highly likely it is being done through a hacked account.

Clay

i_set_fire
Librarities Hero

Post by i_set_fire » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:57 pm

I think the joke will be on us when we check the feedback in a couple weeks and the buyer ended up reporting several bb power and duals :-D

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:36 pm

i_set_fire wrote:I think the joke will be on us when we check the feedback in a couple weeks and the buyer ended up reporting several bb power and duals :-D
It could happen, but these days there are likely 100 scam auctions (or more) for every great "deal" auction.

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:27 am

Magic61983 wrote:I'm not sure if anyone has already said this or not but if you look at the auction description it states.

"This is a mixed lot of 24,000-26,000 Magic the Gathering cards including boxes."

The seller doesn't state that the boxes are labels correctly or say that the cards in the boxes are from Alpha through Antiquities. I'm going to take a wild guess and say that all the cards are junk besides the 20 or so from the early sets.
Yah, exactly what I was noting earlier... You are buying what you can see. the cards on top, some boxes with words on them and a bunch of junk cards.
Best part is the seller never lied.

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:37 am

Tha_Gunslinga wrote:Probably this scammer:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-000-Magic-Ga ... 500wt_1148

There's a nice write-up about it here:
http://www.channelfireball.com/articles ... -gambling/
Yes definitely the same "Deckmaster" seller... The carpet is the same. #-o