Non-MTG Mail Brag

Everything else.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

effai
Legendary Mahamoti Djinn Collector

Post by effai » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:33 pm

yvel wrote:Is that legal ?
Not in Europe.
Mahamoti djinn & Terror global sets => I need your help !
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7846&p=69149#p69149
Other Global sets wantlist : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9454&p=84467#p84467

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:38 pm

Not sure which "that" your asking about but I'm guessing it is either the owning of a full automatic weapon or having a gun in your home.

Full auto weapons have two legalizing government agencies in the US. You have to meet the requirements of both before you can posess one. The Federal Government has rules administered by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF). You must purchase the weapon through a dealer liscenced by them and follow their rules on securing it.
In addition each state in the US has it's own rules that you must follow. Many states will not allow you to have one--Colorado allows it with approval of the local Sheriff in the area where you live.

I fully comply with both agencies.

Possesing a firearm in your home/car or on your person is a State matter unless you are on Federal property or a place that might be a terrorist target. These laws really differ from state to state and locations within a state. Where I live the law is that a person’s home is his castle and he has the right to defend it against anyone that he feels threatened by, with sufficient force to stop that person. I would not misuse this right but if someone breaks into my home I will feel threatened and I will stop them.

Gary

effai

Post by effai » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:44 pm

I was talking about nazi stuff. I'm quite sure it's forbidden to own such things in Europe, at least in France and Germany.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:50 pm

effai wrote:
Not in Europe.
And, as mentioned above not every place in the US. Some states do not allow their citizens the equipment needed to defend themselves at the same level of threat criminals have. Thus, specially with older people, in those places many people live in fear in their own homes and have no complete peace of mind. I choose not to live in such a place.

The really stupid argument used by some is that guns need to be banned. This is about as brainless as any government action ever taken. Only honest law abiding citizens turn in their guns--the bad guys don't--so who looses. The only time that would ever work is AFTER all illegal guns were captured by the government-- then we can turn in our legal guns--at least for awhile.

Gary

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:02 pm

effai wrote:I was talking about nazi stuff. I'm quite sure it's forbidden to own such things in Europe, at least in France and Germany.
I know a little about and can kind of understand the sensitivity in Europe--at least with people my age. I don't want to offend anyone so thus the external link.
For most of us in the US ths swastika is the symbol of a defeated enemy. Together the world kicked their butt and showed them that kind of government was unacceptable. When I see it I just smile and enjoy my feeling of pride in the contribution my country made to that effort (my two brothers fought in that war (Pacific)--one did not come back).

In any case the collection is not political and making the finest Lugers in the world didn't win any wars for anyone.

Gary

effai

Post by effai » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:16 pm

you didin't offend me at least ! These stuff are part of history and thus collectable. The problem is some people use nazis objects for bad reasons (trying to resurrect nazism, for example).
After some small research, I understood that it's not the possession that's forbidden, but selling them or exhibit them can be punished (to avoid stupid stuff like neo-nazi groups to probably)

sdematt
Librarities Hero

Post by sdematt » Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:21 pm

I think Europe, Germany in general, is over the top in terms of trying to distance itself from its past. We all understand Nazism is terrible, but people know Germany isn't Nazism, but yet, the German government cracks down on that sort of stuff with such zeal that to me, it seems like they're closer to the past than they think.

I know the German government has to maintain an image and has to make sure they distance themselves and show, to the greatest extent, that the past is the past, but they're a little bit ridiculous from what I've heard.

Not trying to derail the thread at all, I just think it's stupid to try to erase history, or make it so objects like this can't be owned. History is important. Sure, bad things happened and lots of people died. Now we know not to do that and follow certain ideologies. Done deal.

-Matt
"I'm your Huckleberry"

Collector of Beta/Alpha Dual Lands

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:06 pm

effai wrote:I was talking about nazi stuff. I'm quite sure it's forbidden to own such things in Europe, at least in France and Germany.
Sorry effai, I didn't even think about the trinkets. They are not illegal in the US but you can get your teeth knocked out by wearing them into a readneck bar (unless your with a bunch of motercycle riders who are also wearing them--then you may also get your teeth knocked out but at least you won't be alone....)

There is an old saying about WWI that has some truth in it for WWII also:

The French fought for their freedom
The Brits fought for their empire
The Americans fought for souvenirs

GAry

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:44 pm

Just got this, has to be one of the coolest CCG misprints I own.

Ertai's Familiar
Librarities Legend

Post by Ertai's Familiar » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:16 am

Is that tape?
squt: Sweet! That's the best trade - one that doesn't cost a thing.

pickle.69: NO DRINK ON THE FUCKING TABLE

berkumps

Post by berkumps » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:24 am

Ertai's Familiar wrote:Is that tape?
Ya, the card was printed overtop masking tape!

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:27 am

Now! to somehow find the card that was to the left of it.....

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:31 am

It's pretty sweet. I saw it, and was pretty tempted, but I figured it's not Magic, so I had to pass.

berkumps

Post by berkumps » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:18 am

I used to play the $h!+ out of the Intellivision system when I was a kid, and I've been going on a nostalgic kick lately, so I've started to collect sealed video games. Alas...

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:28 am

berkumps wrote:I used to play the $h!+ out of the Intellivision system when I was a kid, and I've been going on a nostalgic kick lately, so I've started to collect sealed video games. Alas...

Those are awesome!! I used to play Space Armada for hours :dance: