Sealing 9-pocket pages

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot
Legendary Lost Ace of Atlantis

Sealing 9-pocket pages

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:56 pm

if anyone can help me with this I'll appreciate it:

with my growing # of completed sets (56 of 95 now), I want to seal the 9-pocket pages after I've completed each set to keep the cards from future decay/rot/etc.

I've found that using a soldering iron does NOT work very well. also, I don't think a food vacuum sealer will work.

does anyone know of an item I can use to seal the pages effectively to protect the cards inside?

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:18 pm

I've never tried to seal the pages, but I've found that KMC Perfect Sized sleeves fix nicely into Ultra Pro pockets, and if you put the sleeve in upside down that's a near enough to sealed that I'm happy.

caquaa
Librarities Legend

Post by caquaa » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:02 pm

Some sort of archival quality tape should work as well, I assume such a thing is made. I agree that upside down perfect fit should work well enough if the pages are new.

pp
Legendary Complete Set Collector

Post by pp » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:19 pm

I put 4 cards in every slot, so KMC won't work. Any ideas?

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:50 pm

pp wrote:I put 4 cards in every slot, so KMC won't work. Any ideas?
Stop putting 4? :P

Do the card go right to the top of the pocket? If you used tape would would it touch the top of the cards?

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:23 pm

I gave up on 9-pocket sheets for my players sets. Part of it was problems with card damage (or fears of card damage). I had bad experiences with binder rings; and had a dented Beta Lotus as a result. I also had problems with cards sliding out the top rows whenever I set a binder down on a flat surface.

And more important, I am always looking to upgrade cards, and was worried about damage from excessive handling. 4 cards in penny sleeves don't fit well in a pocket.

I finally went to putting every card in penny sleeves, then storing sets in one or two card boxes. I can easily access any card I want, and can segregate the cards I still want to upgrade at the end of the box. I use slightly oversized penny sleeves and never worry about cards sliding out.

pp

Post by pp » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:24 pm

For me it would be great if they had something like for CD/DVD sleeves: a tongue.

Like this:

pp

Post by pp » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:26 pm

I fear water or humidity damage. So it would be great to find smth that seals.

effai
Legendary Mahamoti Djinn Collector

Post by effai » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:13 pm

when I bought some cards from Macone, they were sent in a 4 pocket page with this kind of "tongue", so I guess it must exist in 9-pocket version. Unfortunately, I think it's only available in japan.
I find this a good idea too, because sometimes the cards leave their pocket (especially the one on the first row)
I'll try to post a pic.

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:15 pm

The only problem I can see with pages that have a flap is they'll end up wearing out the folded section and the flap will snap off.
BGS 9+ Alpha set 282/295 (97.29%) Avg 9.41
BGS 9.5+ Beta set 283/302 (93.71%) Avg 9.58
BGS 9.5+ Arabian set 35/92 (38.04%) Avg 9.62
BGS 9.5+ Antiquities set 82/100 (82%) Avg 9.64
BGS 9.5+ Legends set 279/310 (90.00%) Avg 9.61

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:50 pm

I've already seen 9 pocket pages with "tongues" in the past. They stop cards from falling out of the binder if you put the binder upside down.

The problem is that the cards are not so easy in and out, and damage caused to cards are greater.

If you put sleeves in 9 pocket pages, you'll end up with very thick and much heavier sets. Lots of plastic...

For me, the best way to store cards and binders, is to put the binders in an outter box, the way our German friend here did. He had them customized. I am thinking about doing this in the future too, and have a box made for the Black and Gold Magic binders I have, and Ultra Pro portfolios.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:07 am

effai wrote:when I bought some cards from Macone, they were sent in a 4 pocket page with this kind of "tongue", so I guess it must exist in 9-pocket version. Unfortunately, I think it's only available in japan.
I find this a good idea too, because sometimes the cards leave their pocket (especially the one on the first row)
I'll try to post a pic.
Yes, I got some of these a couple years back and really like them. I took them to Ultra Pro who in turn made some test sheets (though they had an opaque strip at the top). I talked to them again this year at GenCon and found that they dropped the idea as being to low demand for them. The person I talked to had no details on how they arrived at that conclusion. I think they would be fantastic for trade binders just to slow down the "just looking" fingers. MB is correct, however, about the additional difficulty puting cards in or taking them out without damaging them.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:10 am

Yu-Gi-Oh players use them. That's where I saw them.

But you know that YGO players don't really care about the cards condition, since the card quality is so poor right from the beginning.

And yes, the tongue is white, so the top of the card can not be seen.

macone
Librarities Legend

Post by macone » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:10 am

effai wrote:when I bought some cards from Macone, they were sent in a 4 pocket page with this kind of "tongue", so I guess it must exist in 9-pocket version. Unfortunately, I think it's only available in japan.
I'll try to post a pic.
Yes I've sent cards to some members within 4-pocket sheet with flap.

http://www.amiami.jp/shop/ProductInfo/product_id/144318

It exist 9-pocket for 3-ring/4-ring sheet also.

http://www.amiami.jp/shop/ProductInfo/product_id/120952

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:40 am

magic-belgium wrote:Yu-Gi-Oh players use them. That's where I saw them.

But you know that YGO players don't really care about the cards condition, since the card quality is so poor right from the beginning.

And yes, the tongue is white, so the top of the card can not be seen.
Any idea if they were made by Ultra Pro? It may be they were released in Europe. Maybe in the US too but just didn't catch our eye and didn't sell.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.