Bad Trade & Advice

Everything else about Magic.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

eltanno

Bad Trade & Advice

Post by eltanno » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:26 am

Hi all, im a new member and this is my first post. I used to play & collect magic in the mid 90s and have taken it up again in the past few months. One of my goals has been to put together my old collection which included a lot of power 9 among other rarities.

With this goal in mind i have been using eBay and have run into a couple of unscrupulous characters on there. The worst of which is a guy that sold me some very rare cards all described as "Minty" with scans that looked to me to be fine. After some discussion and haggleing he convinced me to do the trade outside of ebay but using paypal. The cards arrived most 4 of which i was satisfied with but the 2 most expensive (a beta ancestral recall & mox sapprice) were in pretty terrible condition. The sapphire having rather extensive recolouring on the borders that did not show on the scans.

Looking at the traders current and previous items he trades magic cards professionally but he will not even admit that he noticed this rather obvious retouching of the cards and is even insulting me by saying i am trying to rip him off by asking for a very reasonable small refund.

His main argument is he advertised the cards as "Minty" which is his term for a card in any condition and the scans show the actual cards so i have no recourse. I say the term Minty is very misleading and am now wary of using eBay as i have had 2 bad experiences in as many weeks from people mislabeling card conditions or even sending fakes.

What advice can you all give me, and what experiences have you had that i can learn from?

Jim

Ertai's Familiar
Librarities Legend

Post by Ertai's Familiar » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:17 am

Why would you ever do a transaction with an eBay member outside of eBay when asked. Let me guess he asked you to send non CC money through Personal Payments?

Not to sound rude.

Minty is very misleading and I have always believe Minty describes a card in Mint condition.
squt: Sweet! That's the best trade - one that doesn't cost a thing.

pickle.69: NO DRINK ON THE FUCKING TABLE

eltanno

Post by eltanno » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:19 am

It was a stupid call on my part, the main reason sited was avoiding eBay charges because it was for 7 cards in separate auctions for high amounts, so he would have incurred a lot od charges. Believe me i wont be doing that again soon.

Do you guys keep a list of ebay traders not to trust? I would like to have a look if so.

Jim

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot
Legendary Lost Ace of Atlantis

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:43 pm

bad experiences (i.e. received damaged or misrepresented cards):
fei_888
apissaquah
strictly-magic
jcsportsworld
nxtgengaming
cardguy123
shadebanemtg
Ed Fones (theoldbacklot*, then edbfones)

blatant fraud (and no longer on eBay):
cptdznutz (Clifton, Jonathan, see http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=7169)
francislabrie (Labrie, Francis)

With the one exception of buying promos from a member on this site, I only buy singles on ebay or I trade for them.