Robot Chicken promo. What?

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Mr.C
Librarities Legend

Robot Chicken promo. What?

Post by Mr.C » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:43 am

So, I came across this:

http://magiccards.info/uqc/en/6.html

Where did it come from? Anyone have it?

shaselai1
Librarities Hero

Post by shaselai1 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:55 am

it might be fanmade card? i know mtgsalvation has monthly fanmade cards so it might not surprise me if this is something like that...

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:21 pm

The website says "San Diego PTQ Special Guest Promotion".
I saw this the other day too. It also puzzles me that it is listed under "Celebration Cards" which is the category reserved for card there exists only one of: 1996 World Champ, Shi. Dragon and the 3 Richard Garfield cards.

Does anybody have more info on this?

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:58 pm

l0qii wrote:The website says "San Diego PTQ Special Guest Promotion".
I saw this the other day too. It also puzzles me that it is listed under "Celebration Cards" which is the category reserved for card there exists only one of: 1996 World Champ, Shi. Dragon and the 3 Richard Garfield cards.

I got no info, but making a one-of celebration card for a PTQ doesn't make sense.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:33 pm

l0qii wrote:The website says "San Diego PTQ Special Guest Promotion".

It is part of a very large set of special Ultra Secret MTG cards designed to totaly exasperate collectors. Note the number: 42/1138

JK... Actually I doubt it is a real WotC card. If it is, shame on them.

Gary

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:29 pm

Probably a promo given to some of the people behind Robot Chicken who were at the San Diego PTQ. So for all intents and purposes it's an actual, nigh unattainable card.

42 is H2G2's answer to the ultimate question.
1138 is from Star Wars fandom.

yvel
Librarities Legend

Post by yvel » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:45 am

hmmm ... yeah, maybe, but what it's strange is this scan, where does it comes from ?
MagicCard info get a "perfect" scan of it.

Mister Foilcard
Librarities Legend

Post by Mister Foilcard » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:36 am

As we know, Orban has published a "HQ scan" in the MWSHQ forum. But this scan isn't HQ. I believe it is not a scan anyway. It is only a magnified and in some way processed picture of the picture on MagicCardInfo in very bad quality. This has nothing to do with a high quality scan.
I don't believe that this "card" is an original Magic card (missing artist!). If this would be the case, we should found this card on Magic Arcana or other official web site.
If this is not an official card, I'm not interested (today every guy can produce cards with one of the card generator programs out there and publish this crap as "Special Guest Promotion").

pp
Legendary Complete Set Collector

Post by pp » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:43 pm

The question is, why would magiccards.info publish a non-official card??
Did somebody ask Hannes where he got this card?

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:28 pm

There isn't an artist because the picture is widely available online.

It doesn't need to be an official card by the traditional definition. It can simply be something that was given away to certain people to thank them for their attendence at the PTQ. I don't think it should be placed in the same category as the 1996 World Champion, Garfield cards etc, which is partially where some of the interest is coming from.

I'm more interested in finding out who these things were given out to, as that should shed some light on whether this card was actually produced by Wizards.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:53 pm

ouallada wrote:I'm more interested in finding out who these things were given out to, as that should shed some light on whether this card was actually produced by Wizards.
Well obviously none of the people that received them frequent this board.

If this art work is kinda in "public domain" or with no known artist then you can believe that WotC did not produce a card with it. As I understand it is a matter of their own best interest to have a tight legal right to anything they produce. If they had found the artist and gotten his/her permission than, in all likelihood the artist would have received credit for it.

Now comes an interesting question. If WotC did not produce or license its production why is there a WotC copyright line? I think it is illegal to produce something and say it is copywrited when it isn't. If that is true it may be REAL hard to find who made this and gave it out.

An additional thought. If it is a legaly produced card, why go back and steal an expansion symbol (and use the wrong color border) instead of using something new and unique?

IMHO this is just some folks out there having fun (maybe even a WotC employee, or former employee, was having fun with them......) and has no relationship to serious collecting.

Gary

implode
Legendary Dragon Master Collector

Post by implode » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:16 pm

Given the timing, perhaps this was an ill conceived April fools day joke?

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:18 pm

Hi
I just don't stand website that are showing False illustration on card:
http://magiccards.info/uqc/en/3.html
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:19 pm

implode wrote:Given the timing, perhaps this was an ill conceived April fools day joke?
By? (good idea--I have seen worse ones)
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:45 pm

The issue I have is that NO ONE ANYWHERE has a physical copy of this, and no one has even seen one or held one. I have a hard time believing that this card exists.