I'm looking for a bunch of already graded PSA 10 Alphas

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Worth
Librarities Legend

I'm looking for a bunch of already graded PSA 10 Alphas

Post by Worth » Fri May 08, 2009 1:01 am

Anyone in market to sell some? Know anyone who is?

I have most of the big stuff, just need lots and lots of lesser rares and c/u.

tap4black
Legendary Alpha Collector

Post by tap4black » Fri May 08, 2009 5:02 pm

Hey Worth,

Shoot me an email at tap4black@yahoo.com and I will send you a copy of the up to date pop report for PSA graded Alpha so you can see what you are getting into. I'm the owner of the #2 current finest Alpha set and have about 20% of the total graded 10's in my possession. I have a few extra 10's available outside my master set.

http://www.psacard.com/SetRegistry/publ ... px?s=23945

Thanks,

Len
Tap4Black

AzureWinter
Legendary Flying Green Mana Bird

Post by AzureWinter » Fri May 08, 2009 6:31 pm

does anyone know how many psa 10 alpha birds of paradise exists? I still havent seen any in my life.....
not even that, i still havent seen any alpha bop that is centered nicely......

Worth
Librarities Legend

Post by Worth » Fri May 08, 2009 6:56 pm

AW, far as I know there is only one and many think it was just a mistake at PSA that it got a 10, as it looks just like the 9's I've seen. :)

tap4black

Post by tap4black » Fri May 08, 2009 7:26 pm

As of 5/8/09, there are 18 Alpha Birds graded PSA 8, 7 graded PSA 9 and just the 1 PSA 10.

58 Cards in the set have yet to receive a grade of PSA 10.

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Fri May 08, 2009 8:36 pm

I don't trust PSA anymore. I've had a bad experience with them screwing up a PSA 9 Gauntlet of Might and all they did was send it back to me unslabed with a free grading voucher. Grade at your own risk I'd say but there not touching any of my cards ever again.
BGS 9+ Alpha set 282/295 (97.29%) Avg 9.41
BGS 9.5+ Beta set 283/302 (93.71%) Avg 9.58
BGS 9.5+ Arabian set 35/92 (38.04%) Avg 9.62
BGS 9.5+ Antiquities set 82/100 (82%) Avg 9.64
BGS 9.5+ Legends set 279/310 (90.00%) Avg 9.61

tap4black

Post by tap4black » Fri May 08, 2009 9:50 pm

Mistakes happen......

I've sent in in excess of 3000 cards to PSA over the years and have had a total of 4 cards come back with nothing more than labeling issues that they have taken care of promptly, no questions asked.

Fact of the matter is, top grade cards in a PSA holder will bring in more cash for the seller than a non graded version in 99%+ of the time.

me-and_we
Librarities Legend

Post by me-and_we » Fri May 08, 2009 10:04 pm

well if you got the voucher, let them grade something useless like a 4th wall of roots or sth... I'm uite sure, there ain't a lot of those out there ^^

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Fri May 08, 2009 10:04 pm

tap4black wrote:Mistakes happen......

I've sent in in excess of 3000 cards to PSA over the years and have had a total of 4 cards come back with nothing more than labeling issues that they have taken care of promptly, no questions asked.

Fact of the matter is, top grade cards in a PSA holder will bring in more cash for the seller than a non graded version in 99%+ of the time.
I hate to tell you this but PSA is very inconsistent in there grading. I've seen people send PSA 8's and 9's back in and get 10's so having any card graded by PSA is a joke.

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Fri May 08, 2009 10:13 pm

me-and_we wrote:well if you got the voucher, let them grade something useless like a 4th wall of roots or sth... I'm uite sure, there ain't a lot of those out there ^^
Honestly it's not worth my time to send them another card let alone what it is. I have a higher grading standard then PSA on my own.

Worth
Librarities Legend

Post by Worth » Fri May 08, 2009 10:31 pm

I think his point was just that it's a fact that a something like an alpha graded at a 10 in a PSA holder is going to fetch more money (by far) that a card that you personally look at and call a 10.

Even if your grading standard is, as you say, more strict or better or whatever.

I'm not saying it isn't, but the fact of the matter is that a PSA graded card in top condition fetches more money than an ungraded one.

phiswiz
Legendary Camel Rider

Post by phiswiz » Sat May 09, 2009 12:46 am

You also have to consider that there is big shift to BGS due to the rampant PSA grading irregularities. A BGS graded card will sell for more every single time than it's same grade counterpart from PSA. If you don't believe me, then send in your PSA "10"s to BGS and see what they really are. You might be surprised to find that only a very small few or none at all would come back BGS 10.

tap4black

Post by tap4black » Sat May 09, 2009 1:07 am

phiswiz wrote:You also have to consider that there is big shift to BGS due to the rampant PSA grading irregularities. A BGS graded card will sell for more every single time than it's same grade counterpart from PSA. If you don't believe me, then send in your PSA "10"s to BGS and see what they really are. You might be surprised to find that only a very small few or none at all would come back BGS 10.
A PSA 10 does not equate to a BGS 10 but rather a BGS 9.5 which is their grading standard for GEM MINT. While your statement of selling for a higher price is likely true of Sportscards, it has not transferred over to MTG at all. Simply put, Beckett has only graded a fraction of the cards PSA has and they are NOT as well received as PSA at this time.

Your statement regarding rampant irregularities is purely an opinion unless you can back it up with proof.

Until such time as Beckett makes their population report more user friendly and establishes a community such as PSA's Set Registry where collectors can intermingle, they will always be behind in the MTG front.

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Sat May 09, 2009 4:06 am

Magic61983 wrote:I hate to tell you this but PSA is very inconsistent in there grading. I've seen people send PSA 8's and 9's back in and get 10's so having any card graded by PSA is a joke.
There is definitely some truth in that statement, no doubt. That being said, if I'm buying cards off of eBay I am much more confidant in the condition of a PSA 9 or 10 vs. a seller who says his card is "mint" or "pack fresh". While PSA is by no means perfect, I think they do a pretty good job overall.
phiswiz wrote:You also have to consider that there is big shift to BGS due to the rampant PSA grading irregularities. A BGS graded card will sell for more every single time than it's same grade counterpart from PSA. If you don't believe me, then send in your PSA "10"s to BGS and see what they really are. You might be surprised to find that only a very small few or none at all would come back BGS 10.
As Len said, I think if you're going to make a statement like this, you really do need to provide some sort of proof. Personally, I think BGS does a great job and I'm very comfortable buying any card slabbed by them. That being said I do prefer PSA graded cards, and at least wrt Magic cards, the market seems to agree. If you check eBay the number of PSA graded cards is substantially higher than BGS. If you have any information about other card outlets or big BGS collections/dealers, please share - I'm always looking to expand my information :wink:

Take it easy,
Jared

PS - my raw Alpha BoP is probably the best centered one I've ever seen, but alas it's not mint :-(
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Sat May 09, 2009 5:05 am

tap4black wrote:
A PSA 10 does not equate to a BGS 10 but rather a BGS 9.5 which is their grading standard for GEM MINT. While your statement of selling for a higher price is likely true of Sportscards, it has not transferred over to MTG at all. Simply put, Beckett has only graded a fraction of the cards PSA has and they are NOT as well received as PSA at this time.

Your statement regarding rampant irregularities is purely an opinion unless you can back it up with proof.

Until such time as Beckett makes their population report more user friendly and establishes a community such as PSA's Set Registry where collectors can intermingle, they will always be behind in the MTG front.
Sorry I don't make opinions.
Worth wrote:AW, far as I know there is only one and many think it was just a mistake at PSA that it got a 10, as it looks just like the 9's I've seen. :)
Also every PSA 10 I've received had at least 1 minor nick which would take it out of the PSA 10 category all together and put in the 9 bracket.

thulnanth wrote:
Magic61983 wrote:I hate to tell you this but PSA is very inconsistent in there grading. I've seen people send PSA 8's and 9's back in and get 10's so having any card graded by PSA is a joke.
There is definitely some truth in that statement, no doubt. That being said, if I'm buying cards off of eBay I am much more confidant in the condition of a PSA 9 or 10 vs. a seller who says his card is "mint" or "pack fresh". While PSA is by no means perfect, I think they do a pretty good job overall.
I'll agree with your comment on being more confident buying a PSA graded card rather then someone say a card is mint. But PSA needs some help in the standards section of the non-sports card grading department. There's no reason why a card previously graded an 8 would come back a 9.
thulnanth wrote:
As Len said, I think if you're going to make a statement like this, you really do need to provide some sort of proof. Personally, I think BGS does a great job and I'm very comfortable buying any card slabbed by them. That being said I do prefer PSA graded cards, and at least wrt Magic cards, the market seems to agree. If you check eBay the number of PSA graded cards is substantially higher than BGS. If you have any information about other card outlets or big BGS collections/dealers, please share - I'm always looking to expand my information :wink:
The reason people get cards graded by PSA has to do with the fact that PSA has graded MTG cards for much longer then BGS. BGS just started grading MTG cards in the past 3 years or so. PSA has been grading for I don't even know how long. Last time I checked there weren't any BGS sets put together yet because the people that started the PSA sets aren't about to switch. If both companies started at the same time I have a very good feeling that BGS would have won the standard for grading hands down. The quality control at BGS is so much higher then PSA it's not even funny. PSA can't even admit to when they destroy or ruin a card and that's what bothers me the most. They will not reimburse the person for the cards value the only thing they will do is crack the slab and send you the screwed up card and a free grade which is total BS.

When you get a card back from BGS that's screwed up like PSA has done to me and many others I'd like to see it I'm sure it's once in a blue moon and I'd like to know how they handle the situation.

Brian