Original Unopened Rare Sealed 4th Edition Tournament Pack!!

Personal offers and search inquiries about regularly purchasable standard Magic products.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

vlad0707

Original Unopened Rare Sealed 4th Edition Tournament Pack!!

Post by vlad0707 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:02 pm

I recently got a hold of a really rare item that is no longer on the markets:
a 1994 completely sealed and untouched tournament pack!

I got this from a friend who was in the military at the time, in Bosnia. WotC shipped a limited amount of these special boxes to the soldiers to help them pass the time.

He kept one unopened one and I'm selling it for him. I asked wizards and they said that it retails for about $200.

It comes with:
- Two 60-card decks, one for each player
- 30 original MTG glass counters
- original MTG Flannel Bag for storing the counters
- Illustrated rulebook (I don't think these even exist anymore)
- Card collector's checklist

Let me know if you are interested. I am going to put it up on ebay soon, so if you'd like to make me an offer (price negotiable) please do so.[/b]

tetsuo42
Librarities Hero

Post by tetsuo42 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:36 pm

Sorry to burst your bubble, but those retailed around $20.00 back in the day.

You can find those on ebay for around that price (more likely less).

I do hope you get $200 for it.

vlad0707

Post by vlad0707 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:27 am

Hey, thanks for the heads up, but the things I'm finding are nothing like what I have.

I have a big ol' box with stuff inside, it is not a regular tournament sealed deck with the 75 cards inside. ..this box is the size of a large, think, highschool textbook. ..actually a great box for keeping cards

..I am checking ebay, and can't find anything that resembles what I am offering.

Seriously, I actually emailed pictures of this stuff to WotC and they said that it retails for about $200, and the guys said that there is probably nothing like that on the market anymore.

if anyone can find a link to what I'm selling, please let me know and I'll reconsider the price if its lower. Thanks for the feedback!

andytalaga
Librarities Legend

Post by andytalaga » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:29 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/4th-Edition-Fourth- ... 18Q2el1247

that is coming from a retail store that overcharges for most of their items. when they are availible they are about $40 tops.

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:53 am

We got a crapload of those things while I was over there...
It has been available at DaCardworld and at other places. Not very rare except for the age and maybe most are opened but still not a rare.
I beleive that there were Revised Edition ones made (not sent to troops) and those might be more valued. The rare stuff that I have from being a soldier are lots of Archangel shirts, support products (personal gear), some stuff they had for the military league and my prize for winning that league. Other than that I think not much... They sent us a whole crapload of product so it's conceivable that your friend might have gotten a bunch of product in Bosnia but nothing really valueable unfortunately. Good luck!

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:31 pm

He does say it is from 1994, which leads me to believe he has the Revised version, which is much rarer than the 4th Edition (1995) version. TnT, which usually has higher than average prices lists them at $189.99 and has none in stock.

http://www.trollandtoad.com/p87544.html

I think it's first important to determine which box it actually is. Unfortunately it looks like both the Revised and 4th Edition boxes have the same UPC code, does anyone know how to tell the 2 apart without opening it?

the swiss
Librarities Legend

Post by the swiss » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:12 pm

Different pictures on the sides and back. Rev is 1994 and 4th 1995 (on the back on the bottom).

the swiss
Librarities Legend

Post by the swiss » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:38 pm

Gift Box Revised:

3 good cards in the 2 decks:

Savannah, Underground Sea, Sol Ring

vlad0707

Post by vlad0707 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:59 pm

awesome, it says 1994 on the box, thanks for the feedback!

so this box is a Revised Edition (1994).

if someone can find another one on the web, please let me know :)

vlad0707

Post by vlad0707 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:22 pm

@the swiss

there are also all the dual lands: taiga, savannah, badlands, underground sea, plateau, tropical island, tundra ($40), underground sea ($55!), volcanic island ($40) wrath of god, bird of paradise, balance, braingeyser, copy artifact, demonic tutor, crusade, fork, howling mine, hypnotic specter, lord of atlantis, mind twist, nevinyrral's disc, royal assassin, serendib efreet, swords to plowshares, vesuvan doppelganger, wheel of fortune, will-o-the-wisp,

here is a list of all the commons and uncommons on star city games and their prices:
http://sales.starcitygames.com//spoiler ... numpage=25

the swiss
Librarities Legend

Post by the swiss » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:29 pm

Easy, easy.......

Normally all the box haves the same content. I have a selad and an open one.

And I have those 3 cards.

vlad0707

Post by vlad0707 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:32 pm

heres what it says on the back of the box:

"The two decks in this box each contain 60 cards randomly selected from a pool of over 300 different cards - some common, some uncommon, and some rare. No two decks are alike..."

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:38 pm

Bizarre... I was in the Bosnia region for awhile and amassed 100's of 1000's of cards and never once saw a revised card there, ever. What do I know though :wink:

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:09 am

random wrote:Bizarre... I was in the Bosnia region for awhile and amassed 100's of 1000's of cards and never once saw a revised card there, ever. What do I know though :wink:
Well, Random, you are correct. We (US Military in Korea) were having a heck of a time getting Magic cards. Specially at remote sites. I asked Peter if he could spare some cards for soldiers. He did. He sent 36,000 4th Edition gift sets to MWR (EUSAR and PACOM). At Camp Humphries Korea (Anjung-Ri) every Monday night there was a sealed deck tournament. Each GI or family member that walked in got a gift box (aka. tournament pack), even some people that hadn't come to the Rec. center to play magic got them...LOL. The Military League was also established about that time in order to compete in these remote areas and be able to send the winner to the US Championship.

Sounds like the "Tournament Pack" in question, however, is really a 3d edition gift set. These are not only more rare (in numbers manufactured) but have--as noted--a much better selection of possible cards. Also the flannel bag in the 3rd Ed set is much different then the synthetic bag in the 4th Ed set.

It seems that the 3rd Ed. ones I opened had random decks in them and were not a set pair. The 4th edition ones were regular random starter decks for sure.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

the swiss
Librarities Legend

Post by the swiss » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:11 am

I can be happy with the 3 good cards. Other collectors ?