Collection Display Ideas

Personal offers and search inquiries about regularly purchasable standard Magic products.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Collection Display Ideas

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:08 pm

I'm sure there are some good ideas out there about how to display our beautiful collections. I'd like to hear them. I have talked to some of you and will try and put what I was typing into pictures with more detail.

This is the method I used to display the basic edition MTG cards 1st through 7th editions. The display was used by WotC for the 10th anniversary museum at GenCon and at Worlds in Berlin.

First an overall picture:

There are only 3368 cards in this display because the lay out is by edition and not all cards were printed in all editions. There is actually room for 7840 cards while leaving the front and back for covers.

Each card has its own line showing each edition it was used in and a copy of the original card from the first set of publication.

The rack is quite easy to assemble and quite portable so I have been able to take this to several of the local card stores, PT events and expansion releases.

Content detail: Because this is a historical/educational display there are no actual 1st edition cards in it. I used a Collectors Edition set for that, which is quite adequate to see what the card started out looking like (and this had a very positive effect on the cost of insurance). Even in its use as a display the collector in me expanded it by putting AP in where ever I could. Several of the artists thought this was a boon for them, both in people seeing some of their art that is hardly available today (i.e. 5th edition Air Elemental as just one example) and the publicity of what AP are. I always try to bring attention to the artists and their work when displaying. They deserve it.

My hope is that I can get ideas from you about displaying collections and that together we might encourage each other to take the effort needed to show off what MTG is.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

agzz
Legendary Terese Nielsen Fan

Post by agzz » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:13 pm

I have my (relativly small) collection in binders on top of a book shelf, not much room for display in my one room appartement.. :-\
Dont think if i would like to have them on display though, binders is good for me.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:11 am

This is really cool. I have seen similar display racks made of wood and always thought it would be cool to do exactly this with one. How difficult is it to transport?

What did oyu use for the set names? Are they just print outs?

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:40 am

l0qii wrote:This is really cool. I have seen similar display racks made of wood and always thought it would be cool to do exactly this with one. How difficult is it to transport?
What did oyu use for the set names? Are they just print outs?
I use 5 art portfolio carrying cases 42" x 33" for the pages and a cardboard box for the frame. Takes about 30 min to set up or take down without help. This would be overkill for most collections but these displays are made in many sizes, from small desk top models to this kind. This is actually a wall poster display rack that I had the pages custom made in order to get all 7 editions (plus 7th foils) on one line. I have an SUV that this all fits in so it is not much of a problem.

Those that might plan a 2000 card display without spaces could use a much smaller and more portable version.

The set names were made by using transparent Avery labels on a color dot matrix printer. Not seen close up in these pictures is the header row that I used a label maker for (along with the tags I used to designate artist proofs).
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:45 am

agzz wrote:I have my (relativly small) collection in binders on top of a book shelf, not much room for display in my one room appartement..
I can identify with that agzz. Most of my collection is in binders and this display is only up when I am taking it someplace. Thus, I like to take it places just so I can see it again.... LOL
Gary Adkison

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:55 am

Wow....

That is an awesome display - I've never seen anything like that for MtG. I don't showcase my sets for others, so I have them in binders w/slipcovers. The cards are each in KMC perfect fit sleeves and then put in 9-pocket pages. I also have pages designed to hold 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6 items that I use for "oddball" stuff (letters, postcards, deckboxes, promos, prints, etc.). My real nice vintage cards are PSA graded and stored in nice wooden cases (made by MJ Roops).

Sadly I haven't had the funds to get my paintings framed yet, but someday they'll be up on my walls, where they belong :wink:

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:03 am

I am now using this system :

http://www.kaiserkraft.be/Section/234

I've had it for just a week, so I can't tell if my collection will fit in it.

I use Ultra Pro gallery portfolios for small sets (<180 cards) like this :

Or the new Ultra Pro Magic binders for the bigger sets :

Will try to post a picture of the column when it is completely filled and classified.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:25 pm

thulnanth wrote: Sadly I haven't had the funds to get my paintings framed yet, but someday they'll be up on my walls, where they belong :wink:
Jared
Sometimes my wife wishes mine weren't up on the walls...LOL. With the exception of Mark Zug's Serra Angel. She even let me put that in the front hall enterance way. The rest? The study.
Gary Adkison

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:35 pm

magic-belgium wrote:I use Ultra Pro gallery portfolios for small sets (<180 cards) like this :

Let me say first. I hate binders.
I use them and I hate them. I have been looking at the gallery portfolios and wishing they were made large enough for full sets. At present my smaller sets are in the same binder as the main set for the block. By having the binder "full" it seems the cards are better preserved.

Those towers are awesome but far too organized for me...LOL Actually the best part of my collection is in a Bank Safety Deposit vault in the 9 card pages. My play set is in a gun safe in the hopes that it would still be preserved in case of a house fire. Of course that creates a problem as the guns and cards fight for shelf space.
Gary Adkison

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:44 pm

LOL - I know what you mean...

I have a bunch of stuff on the walls in the basement already (action figure display cases, framed posters, one painting, LP record w/concert tickets), plus I have quite a few toys sitting on top of bookcases & my desk. Every time my wife comes downstairs, she reminds me how I MUST have a study in our next house.

... with a door :-D

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

inca911
Librarities Legend

Not WotC display

Post by inca911 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:46 pm

I don't think that display is WotC's. I believe it belongs to Peter Adkinson's father. He had it at GenCon several years back. I was able to fill in a couple missing pieces for him. Very nice guy....

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:43 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:
magic-belgium wrote:I use Ultra Pro gallery portfolios for small sets (<180 cards) like this :

Let me say first. I hate binders.
I use them and I hate them. I have been looking at the gallery portfolios and wishing they were made large enough for full sets.
I TOTALLY agree with you, and it's been months since I started to try and figure out why they do not release portfolios for 300+ card sets.

My best hypothesis so far is that they would be too heavy and since the 9 pocket pages are sealed in the plastic, the seal would not resist to the weight.

Anyone has a better explanation ? Don't tell me something like "Ultra Pro decided not to make them because they would not sell enought..."

yawg07
Legendary Chairman of Altered Art

Post by yawg07 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:04 am

Set collectors aren't the only market, I guarantee it.
I have LOTS of foil cards and LOTS of Japanese cards.
I'd really like a 30 page portfolio style binder.

mystical_tutor

Re: Not WotC display

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:59 am

inca911 wrote:I don't think that display is WotC's. I believe it belongs to Peter Adkinson's father. He had it at GenCon several years back. I was able to fill in a couple missing pieces for him. Very nice guy....
I may have said something wrong. You are 100% correct. The display does belong to me and was made by me. I was trying to say that WotC made use of it at the 10th anneversery and at Worlds in Berlin. I transported to to Indi and they insured it and flew it to Berlin and back home to Colorado. Sorry for the confusion. No they do not own it and have not invested anything in it.

But people like you have--and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. When I arrived at GenCon I was still short several 7th ed foils, and a couple odds and ends. I don't know which contributor you are but, yes, dealers and collectors alike came to my aid. In addition several artists, when they saw my attention to their AP actually brought me some of their AP to add. What a great bunch of people, all working together to make the display better. Love the magic of the Magic community.

Richard had given me permission to use his picture on the headboard (not seen in the picture) and was at worlds to pump me a bit. He is a great guy (another story about out trip to the Pergaman (sp?) museum--he is a gas).

Thanks for making me clarify that.
Gary Adkison

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:16 am

magic-belgium wrote:My best hypothesis so far is that they would be too heavy and since the 9 pocket pages are sealed in the plastic, the seal would not resist to the weight.
Anyone has a better explanation ? Don't tell me something like "Ultra Pro decided not to make them because they would not sell enought..."
Humm, I never thought of that. Your right, it would be an engineering challenge to make a binder like that hold that weight. I have actually bent the metal holders in some of my binders and it must have been the weight of the cards that did it. Specially when I have 2-6 cards in each slot.

Ultra Pro does back off of some things if they don't think the demand is good enough. After helping me with my displey (all those cards are kept aligned by using the 9-slot pages and cutting out the ones that you don't use) they came up with a page with top flaps over each row to prevent cards from falling out if you accidently turned your binder upside down. I have never seen these available in stores nor are they on the web site and both of the people that I worked with on it are no longer with the company. The idea was that the "traider" binders would benefit in that it would make it harder for someone to 'slip' a card out un-noticed. My guess is, however, it was also hard to put them in and take them out without scraping them on the plastic. But I really don't know. Great idea, just a very small market.
Gary Adkison