Few questions about the Update.

Whenever you have an idea or a question about the website.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

dragsamou
Administrator

Few questions about the Update.

Post by dragsamou » Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:43 pm

Hi Members.
I have few questions regarding the Update.Regarding Color of a Card.
We Have:
White.
Blue.
Black
Red
Green
Gold
Artifact
Land
Double is it the appropriate for a Card like Fire/Ice or Split?
What about a card like Azorius Guildmage,Hybrid is it appropriate?
Do you consider Purple a Color or Rarity?
Thanks to sharing your point.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

agzz
Legendary Terese Nielsen Fan

Post by agzz » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:21 pm

I would lable the split cards SPLIT and 'gold' and hybrid MULTICOLOR.

'Purple' i dont know about but they are not a color.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:39 pm

agzz wrote:I would lable the split cards SPLIT and 'gold' and hybrid MULTICOLOR.

'Purple' i dont know about but they are not a color.
Hi Peter.
Thanks for sharing.I have checked most of the MTG website,and it's different everywhere.On WOTC/Hasbro,they name Azorius Guildmage as a Split Card,on another website Gold,and on another one Multicolor.
For me the Difference between a Gold Card like Arcades Sabboth(Legends) and Azorius Guildmage(Dissension) is that Azorius have a Double Color inside the Mana Symbol while Arcades have separate ones.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:53 pm

Hi Member.
Any others comments or just Peter and me are concerned?
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:34 pm

I consider hybrid cards and gold cards the same. I keep split cards in their own section within gold cards.

Not having kept up to date very well, are all of the purple cards of the same rarity?

yvel
Librarities Legend

Post by yvel » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:42 pm

Hi,
in fact, the color are :

White.
Blue.
Black
Red
Green
Gold
Artifact
Land
Hybrid

- Hibrid is a colod, with special mana logo (separate of Gold card)
- Split card are color of the both card
- Yes purple is not a color but a raity

k005342
Librarities Member

Post by k005342 » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:47 pm

Hi everybody,
personnally, i consider hybrid cards as specific, and split cards as colored card most often as gold cards (except the 3 red split cards in planar chaos).
For the purple, i consider it like a rarity

agzz
Legendary Terese Nielsen Fan

Post by agzz » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:01 pm

yvel>> well, isn't hybrid cards numbered together the gold ones?

flatmatt
Legendary Wild Bear Tracker

Post by flatmatt » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:24 am

I'd classify them as:

White
Blue
Black
Red
Green
Gold
Hybrid
Split (except the red ones)
Artifact
Land

Hybrid and split cards are each numbered after traditional "gold" cards in sets. As for the timeshifted Time Spiral cards, I consider them a different rarity; not purple, but "timeshifted." Well, it does get a little unclear with the later timeshifted cards in the block, but that's what I prefer to call it anyway.

mahdishain
Librarities Legend

Post by mahdishain » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:25 am

i think you are mixing your classifications. land and artifact are card types, not colors. they are both colorless.

monkeymadness
Librarities Legend

Post by monkeymadness » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:34 am

This seems to be highly subjective. I would split the cards into these major categories: the 5 colors, multicolor, artifacts, and land. Each of these appears to have subsets based on the way cards are numbered within the set.

White
Standard cards (the usual common/uncommon/rare cards)
Split cards
“Shifted” (color- and future-shifted cards from Planar Chaos and Future sight, respectively)

Blue
Standard cards
Split cards
“Shifted”

Black
Standard cards
Split cards
“Shifted”

Red
Standard cards
Split cards
“Shifted”

Green
Standard cards
Split cards
“Shifted”

Multicolor
Standard cards
Hybrids
Split cards
“Shifted”

Artifacts
Standard cards
“Shifted”

Land
Standard cards
“Shifted”
Basic Land

The only single color split cards that currently exist are the red ones from Planar Chaos, but there may be more later on so they are listed in each color for standardization. I would have considered split cards to be its own separate category if it weren’t for these red ones, but with the way Planar Chaos is numbered, the red ones are clearly lumped with that color, although they are treated differently in that they are numbered at the end of the standard cards. Anytime there is a break in the alphabetized order of the cards within a larger category, I would consider that to be a new subcategory. So the Future Sight “shifted” cards would justify a new subcategory, but the Future Sight colorless/red card, Ghostfire, would not since it is in appropriate alphabetical order. If these red split cards are to be considered more red than split, I would take this to mean that the other split cards that currently exist appropriately belong within multicolor. If the previous rationale is acceptable then Hybrids should also be lumped as a subset within multicolor. I would do this because of the numbering system from Dissension, where the order of the multicolor cards is as listed above – standard cards, hybrids, splits. It wouldn’t make sense to leave the multicolor category for hybrids, only to re-enter it again for splits. Although the rules for these different types of cards do differ, they are essentially multiple colors underneath it all so I think this is appropriate to lump them as a larger whole.

A separate issue would be the purple expansion symbol from Time Spiral. Purple is no more a rarity than gold, silver, or black. It is a color that represents a rarity. I think this is important because it sounds very awkward to refer to cards as rare, uncommon, common, and purple. So it is important to distinguish what rarity purple represents and that is also going to be open to multiple interpretations. The purple symbol represents a rarity that is rarer than the gold symbol since your chance of pulling an individual card with a purple symbol was 1/121 rather than 1/88, but both the purple and gold symbol cards are found once per pack so I think it difficult to consider them rarer if you definition of rarity depends on how many times a card with that color symbol appears in the pack with the recent packaging system (rare = 1, uncommon =3, common = 11). Of course, this could be further confused by taking into account cards like the 10th Edition insert cards, but I’ll choose not to go there. I think it is also important to again look at the numbering systems. Although these cards came from the same packs, they are numbered as different sets and this can justify not giving them a rank of common, uncommon, rare, ultra-rare, etc.... I think calling it something like “time-shifted subset” is appropriate, but this would need to be distinguished from the other “shifted” subset listed above in each color since these do have normal rarities and are integrated into the set’s numbering system.

I am sure I missed a few subcategories and that few will agree with this anyway, but that’s how I view it. That was a peaceful distraction, but now back to more significant tasks.

equi-nox76
Legendary Blue Spell Blaster

Re: Few questions about the Update.

Post by equi-nox76 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:22 am

Hi Alexis,

I've done it like this in my collection:
dragsamou wrote:Hi Members.
I have few questions regarding the Update.Regarding Color of a Card.
We Have:
White.
Blue.
Black
Red
Green
Gold MULTICOLOR
Artifact
Land
Double is it the appropriate for a Card like Fire/Ice or Split? SPLIT CARD
What about a card like Azorius Guildmage,Hybrid is it appropriate? DOUBLE COLOUR
Do you consider Purple a Color or Rarity? RARITY
Thanks to sharing your point.
Chris

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:46 pm

Hi Members.
Thanks for replies,now I have the Biggest Headache :-D
I have to think about it,at any rate,the Program makes me change anything within Two Seconds.I keep you informed.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:10 pm

I am in agreement, for simplification sake, just 7 major categories

Black
Blue
Green
Red
White
Land
Multicolor (which includes gold, split, dual or basically any card that uses more than one color). Multicolor could be split into subsets, but as WotC makes new ideas and such, for now I feel just one category is good to include all.

Purple is not a color, just a rarity. It is so easy to create a category for every single different type, but that could mean creating categories in which only a single card would be applicable, and this can become time consuming and confusing. While it is not smart to keep things too simple, I also believe it is not smart to keep things too complicated either. And if multicolor is broken down by set, it is still quite easy to find what a person is looking for.

One other thing to think about, using the old Gold cards - if WotC decides to reprint a card but using a new face, such as the Marsh Goblin. In 'The Dark', this was a gold card costing one black and one red. But what if in a future release they use that new split mana saying it would cost one black/red and one black/red? Some people might state this would never happen, but I would not discount WotC doing something like this. So this may not happen, but something similar - same card, 2 different formats. Keeping them all as one category would be best IMO.

macone
Librarities Legend

Post by macone » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:17 pm

Rise of the Eldrazi has colorless instants ,sorceries and creatures.

Which are they categorized into? Multicolor?