yet another new type of promo card?

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

yet another new type of promo card?

Post by Ralph Herold » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:33 pm

While this sounds unlikely to be true, everybody should decide for himself: http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=61078

BillyThrill

Post by BillyThrill » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:53 am

I'd like to see this card in production, but I'll agree with someone who posted on mtgsalvation: If this card become T2 legal, I'll shoot myself.

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:03 pm

Hmm...interesting. Here is a link to the card pic:

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachme ... 1166009493

The card shows HH 2006, which would be "Happy Holidays 2006". The card appears to be foil silver bordered. So this means the card is not tourney legal.

I checked Darrell Riche's website and compared the art style to the one in the card. It definitely seems to match. I will inquire about these more locally to some who may know if they really do exist or not, but current info points to this possibly being real.

[EDIT]: I know other game companies have produced holiday specific promos. I used the get them for being an event coordinator for WizKids. The promos were of a wacky holiday nature meant for fun and not serious play.

Also Maleki posted the original pic on MTGSalvation and had to say this about it:
Heya! I'm the guy Highspeed is talking about. I took a scan of my Fruitcake Elemental and attached it. I'm not sure it was sent out to just us Delegates, I know I got mine as a Brand of the Month award. I think it was given as a holiday gift to the Wizards employees and we delegates, being unpaid reps, got some extras as bonus. Well, here it is, in all its glory. The foiling messed with my scanners DPI a lil, but I hope you can enjoy anyway!
So this is more than likely very real, and if it is only given out to WOTC-only circles, may be hard to obtain for collectors. In a weird sense it is a special print run not so different from Splendid Genesis, Fraternal Exaltation, etc. it would be really interesting to know how many WOTC-releated employees there are that may have gotten these. This may be a very illusive fact.
Last edited by mintcollector on Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:16 pm

Does anybody know who exactly qualifies as a WotC delegate? This term is new to me.

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:24 pm

Ralph: A deligate, at least in my opinion, would be the people who work closely with the company at events, cons, etc, but are not officially on the WOTC payroll as a normal job. I know of other companies that do this style of "volunteerism" as I know of people who do this kind of unpaid work for the sheer privvy of being the the inner circles and close to the action (and not just game companies, but toy figure makers specifically). Now what specifically this Maleki does is not known, but he did say he was not on the WOTC payroll but does do work for them. Seems to fit this mold.

Dilligaf
Legendary Misplaced Limey Judge

Post by Dilligaf » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:20 pm

The delegate program is a series of people who go around to local stores and demo new and existing Hasbro/Avalon Hill/WotC games.

They recieve a sort of point system for this, getting more points for new stores and less points for repeat visits.

Points can then be redeemed for any wotc/avalon hill product.

Our local delegate has not heard of this card yet, but has said that should he recieve one he will sell/trade it to me.

So I may have one available shortly.
Never argue with an Idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
** Trying to collect one of each (at least) Brom Artwork.. if you have extra stuff, PM me.. AP's too!

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:47 pm

Well this news is freash off the presses, and the deligate that got one might have either been handed one direclty, or since he is in Washington, could have gotten same day mail. Recall it may take up to 4 days for mail to hit the east coast. Texas may be 2-3 days. Also don't forget the Xmas mail crunch which may, and probably will add extra time to mailings. I think in the next week or so, more delegates may get these. This also would explain why these are not appearing on eBay or other auction houses yet.

Volcanon
Legendary Snooty Caller

Post by Volcanon » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:03 am

Hopefully wont be too expensive.

Royal Ass.
Librarities Hero

Post by Royal Ass. » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:42 am

Those Bastards didnt say Merry Christmas! ;-)
Ci sono cose che succedono ai vivi non ai morti.

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:05 pm

Volcanon wrote:Hopefully wont be too expensive.
I think this might be a little pricey. If I had to take a stab at a number, I think there are probably only a few hundred of these made. This is just a guesstimate on how many delgates WOTC has. I am sure a large number of those delegates play M:TG personally, and thus may hold onto their cards. The few that do leak out will be sought after by completist collectors (ie. me and many others). I think we should see the cards hitting $200+ out of the gate. Stabilization price ??? unknown....maybe $100 or so is a guess.

me-and_we
Librarities Legend

Post by me-and_we » Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:49 pm

mintcollector wrote:
Volcanon wrote:Hopefully wont be too expensive.
I think this might be a little pricey. If I had to take a stab at a number, I think there are probably only a few hundred of these made. This is just a guesstimate on how many delgates WOTC has. I am sure a large number of those delegates play M:TG personally, and thus may hold onto their cards. The few that do leak out will be sought after by completist collectors (ie. me and many others). I think we should see the cards hitting $200+ out of the gate. Stabilization price ??? unknown....maybe $100 or so is a guess.
I hope you will be wrong, as I need 2-3 for my Un-Foil deck... I'd hate to pay that much...

Edit:
Does any1 happen to know if this is only a US Promo, or if it is distributed worldwide? If distributed worldwide, I might forecast your prediction is wrong... As in germany stuff like this is not as sought after as in the states, just an example, I think it may be riskless to say in whole Europe, as most collectors consult eBay.com when it comes to rarities...

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:31 pm

me-and_we: Not sure if this is US-only. The only info we have it that some delegate from the Washington area has one and provided the scan. Since volunteerism for game demo is done at the marketing level, it is really a toss up if this is US-only or worldwide. My assumptions were on the fact that it is US-only. If it is worldwide, then you are correct, there will be many more.

My suspicions though, since this promo is apparently for delegates based on what we know so far, then this will be US-only. The reasons are marketing for WOTC/Habro is done differently in each region of the world. Look at Hobbytown Japan, or the Darksteel coins that were Europe-only. Contractually each marketing area is allowed to do things in their own regions, which is why we see such a disparity of things around the world. Do note, that all preceeding examples were sale-based public campaigns. Awarding the volunteer staff who promotes the games you sell is a whole different story. I do think the same rule set applies though. I have been searching daily for more references to this on eBay, Google, etc. If one case appears outside the US, then this will answer the question at hand. Even if this is the case, we cannot assume this to be worldwide. Maybe Hasbro Europe and the US might be the only ones doing such a promo. Or some other combination.

Volcanon
Legendary Snooty Caller

Post by Volcanon » Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:14 am

US and Canada. We have some guy as a delegate working here as well.

wizard1
Librarities Legend

Post by wizard1 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:31 am

me-and_we
Librarities Legend

Post by me-and_we » Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:12 pm

wizard1 wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/mtg-FRUITCAKE-ELEME ... dZViewItem

first one has shown up on ebay
If that guy's right, my accountant will kill me if I buy those.... Hopefully he's somehow proofed wrong (which I do think as it is allready confirmed for North America, let's see what I can find out when I come back to Munich)