Metal Cards

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

inca911
Librarities Legend

Re: Metal Cards

Post by inca911 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:58 am

Aside from the copyright issues, I could easily have the complete P9 printed in metal exactly like this item (albeit with better quality most likely).  I can even get variations of gold, silver, and black "ink" printed on a variety of substrates if I wished to.  If the artwork exists, the process for making a metal card is quite simple and many companies do this kind of work.

I'm starting to get a bit annoyed with new "rarities" such as this metal Shivan.  Even Summer 4th is a joke as a simple UV spray turns a regular 4th card into a Summer 4th card.  Maybe I should start a new rarity in which I UV-treat Summer Magic cards.  I can call it "Summer Summer".

I agree that the Metal Fork was the first of its kind and merits a place in Rarities history.  Copycat items like the Metal BoP and the latest metal Shivan certainly don't cut it in my book.

AXIOS
Legendary Fungusaur Collector

Post by AXIOS » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:08 am

Aside from the copyright issues, I could easily have the complete P9 printed in metal exactly like this item (albeit with better quality most likely).  I can even get variations of gold, silver, and black "ink" printed on a variety of substrates if I wished to.  If the artwork exists, the process for making a metal card is quite simple and many companies do this kind of work.

I'm starting to get a bit annoyed with new "rarities" such as this metal Shivan.  Even Summer 4th is a joke as a simple UV spray turns a regular 4th card into a Summer 4th card.  Maybe I should start a new rarity in which I UV-treat Summer Magic cards.  I can call it "Summer Summer".

I agree that the Metal Fork was the first of its kind and merits a place in Rarities history.  Copycat items like the Metal BoP and the latest metal Shivan certainly don't cut it in my book.
i completely agree with you forest (one or 2 r's ?)

I think that within weeks we'll see an uprise in metal cards.
Fungusaur legend
find me on facebook: nico jongsma
into all kind of fungusaurs and bog wraiths, especially foreign, misprinted

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:44 am

I  certainly agree that the metal cards can be easily duplicated.  The Shivan Dragon, and perhaps the others, were marketing novelties at best and outright counterfeits at worst.

Summer 4th, however is a completely different animal.  Not only does it have the UV coating (which could be duplicated), but a completely different base printing (dot pattern, both in size and layout) than that used on all other Magic cards.  The entire 4th edition set was produced in this manner, but Wizards was apparantly involved with its development and possibly with its distribution.  I therefor believe Summer 4th should be regarded as a genuine oddity and perhaps rarity, depending upon how many cards were produced.
Where have all the Magic sticker sets gone?

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:56 pm

I don't care, it was cool.
I can't believe I ate the whole thing

gamingjim
Librarities Legend

Post by gamingjim » Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:36 pm

Hi All

I also agree with Inca911. I still also belive  that it can be a third party card. Many third parties send more then one sample at a time, there could be up to 4 or more cards in the brass metal. Most third parties just take random items and make there own type of special product with them and then send them in to the original company.So at the time they could have made  metal cards with just revised and 4th ed cards . I do know for a long time people did not care if it was 4th ed or revised cards.

One thing you all should know. I do not own or did I buy the Metal BOP. I was bidding at the time the auction was up. I was told by a very good friend of mine at WOTC not to own the cards.He never told me why, but I knew some one made that card at home and it would not be wise for me to own it.

I soon as I get the card I will check it out and let you all know. I will also send Ralph a scan.
Gamingjim
Looking for hard to find magic cards
email me

dry cereal

Post by dry cereal » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:06 pm

so you outbid me so I didn't make the mistake of owning it?

TerraFrost
Legendary Creature For Hire

Post by TerraFrost » Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:01 am

so you outbid me so I didn't make the mistake of owning it?
i think jim was talking about the auction for the metal BOP - not for the metal Shivan Dragon on which you bidded.  unless you bidded on both?
BLACK LOTUS DONATIONS NEEDED!

CURRENT COUNT: 0

dry cereal

Post by dry cereal » Tue Apr 13, 2004 7:59 am

in hopes of being less confused, maybe jim could clarify what he's talking about.

gamingjim
Librarities Legend

Post by gamingjim » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:59 am

i think jim was talking about the auction for the metal BOP - not for the metal Shivan Dragon on which you bidded.  unless you bidded on both?

Yes I was talking about the Metal BOP. I do not own it and I did buy it for any of my customers.
Gamingjim
Looking for hard to find magic cards
email me

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:09 pm

According to my records of about a year ago, GamingJim bought the metal Fork, but Jicco was the one who bought the metal BOP.

dry cereal

Post by dry cereal » Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:58 am

you bought a metal fork?  as opposed to a plastic spoon?

nyuck nyuck nyuck  8)