The Sideboard

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

random
Librarities Legend

The Sideboard

Post by random » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:34 pm

Hi, I was in the Military League in 1997-98 and WOTC sent me a copy of the Sideboard every so often. These are the old newspaper type versions of the magazine. I still have a few of these if the site would like some good scans. I'm guessing the older copies are somewhat rare.
There was also a nice glossy version printed a few years back but I'm not sure if they still produce it. It was way more developed than the original.
The Military League was a pretty good deal. WOTC sent deployed troops a bunch of free cards during it's 1996 holiday program and when we signed up for the League we were able to order our product direct from Wizards. A box was only 49 dollars or so. I remember buying cases of Tempest and worrying about "throwing my money down the drain".
They also gave us a bunch of Archangel T-shirts which I didn't like much because they are bright red, Really Bright! Military League DCI cards too.
The "League" had it's own prize support for a short time and when I was the highest rated player for the Summer Season WOTC sent me a lot of cool prizes. I finished 3rd in the Fall Season and they sent me generic stuff. Anyways, this maybe more Magic History than Rarities stuff but I still have most of these items if the site ever decides to catalogue anything like this. Sorry for the long post, cool site though:)

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Fri Aug 12, 2005 2:40 pm

WOTC sent me a lot of cool prizes
What kind of prizes? Anything that was only available trough the league? That sounds pretty cool all around. I didn't know such a thing ever existed.

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:11 pm

I knew the league existed, but I was unaware of varying prize support. I'd be very interested to hear about or see pics of anything you have that is not on this site. I am ex-Navy, having served Jan 88-Dec 93 myself. Did one NATO cruise, Round the Horn, and 2 WestPACs. My end ship was the USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72), and I was proud to see her as the flagship for current naval operations in the gulf during the war.

The decision regarding Sideboard would be Ralph's, but if he did want them he would probably want cover/front page scans.

Are the Military League prize cards different from what was traditionally given? By different, I mean are they special prints in anyway or did they just vary in what was given for a season instead of what us civilians got.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:36 pm

Hi and Welcome.
While I remember perfectely the Ads in MTG Magazines about MTG Military League.I never get the chance to find if there was any Eventual Magic Rarities in the Special Stuff that you used to get.I do remember few auctions on Ebay,with Special M.L. Playmats,but that's about it.
Otherwise,I will really appreciate,if you can provide us,a Full list of the M.L. MTG products,Prizes,Promos,etc...On my part,if you have an Extra M.L. Card available,I will be more than happy to trade or buy those from
you,if it's possible,I collect those and have none from ML.Thanks. :wink:
PS:Your Post was not enough long,we need more :D
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Ralph Herold
Legendary Magic Library Administrator

Post by Ralph Herold » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:00 am

random: Thank you for your offer. I am interested in scans of the Sideboard magazine. While I do not have any immediate plans with these scans, I have a feeling I might need them some time in the future.

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:52 am

Sounds good. I'll make some scans here at home during the next few weeks and figure out how to post them or just email them to whoever's interested. The problem I'm facing is that the cover is normal sized but then the interior opens out like a newspaper. I'll need to figure out the best way so I get quality scans of the Large interior pages.
I'll also make scans of the other stuff they sent me.

I think the playmats were sold from the order sheet. I'm trying to find the ordersheet now. I actually got a lot of Free stuff! First they sent us loads of cards when we were deployed. Then when I returned to Vilseck and played in the Military League some WOTC people came out and gave me a bunch of booster boxes of cards and hung out with us and took pictures. I thought that was my prize but about a month after that WOTC sent me a couple of backpacks with the Jesters Cap stitched on the back and they were stuffed full of all sorts of stuff. The Military League was very shortlived. I ordered a case of Stronghold and they sent me the cards and told me I wasn't able to directly order anything else and that was it. I'll try to have something scanned by the end of the week.

chaosdjinn
Legendary Lurker

Sideboard Magazines

Post by chaosdjinn » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:12 pm

Hi guys- long time no speak with.

I have all Sideboard magazines with the exception of 32 and 37. If anyone has those I'd greatly appreciate a pm with your price.

Ralph- I also have the very old and very rare Duelist Companion magazines(#1-21). These preceded the Sideboard magazine and were put out to judges and members of the DC and served as the earliest version of the DC's communication about rules, promotions, etc.
They, too, were made in a paper pamphlet format.

Also, I have all the early WOTC promotional material- miniatures, posters, retailer information, etc.(with the exception of the Pro Tour I poster which I am STILL looking for!) so if you want to go off on that tangent to include all sorts of promo material let me know.
Peace,
Matt

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:30 pm

Hi, I'd posted in August about the military league and whatnot and making scans of the old Sideboards that I have. I copied # 10, it covers Pro Tour Mainz and has the Matt Place cover, and most importantly, a small picture and article of me in the back (my MTG legacy :lol: ).. Anyways now what? Could a MOD let me know where to send this in what format to make sure it all works out and then I'll do the rest. No rush.
No, it didn't actually take me 3 1/2 months to copy this one issue but I went on a loooong poker odyssey which resulted in me breaking even and wasting a whole bunch of time. Poker is a tremendous waste of time unless you happen to win a fortune. So many losers play poker. Magic is such a superior game, a game for the ages I think.
Anyways, I looked through my footlocker/closet and the stuff I have (other than cards and art): 1 Baron Sengir statue 1996, 1 Jesters cap backpack and a wallet thig that wraps around the waist, they both have a nice stitched Jesters cap on them. A glass Mirage dish/tray with a lid that fits some cards in it. A black lotus hard plastic deck holder. Some Ice age and Mirage promo stuff like stores probably got and some life counters and a bunch of Red Archangel T-shirts that say Military league(those were giveaways for everybodyand not prizes). I also have some artwork here that I pick up occasionally if anyones ever interested in setting up an original artwork thread. I'm in the process of purchasing one major peice of original artwork that I will post here when I get it.... Not P9 but right about next in line. I think that when I get that illustration I'm going to have to say "enough is enough" to myself and stop adding to my MTG collection. Anyways, I'll try and make some scans of any of this stuff if the site wants down the line. Some of this stuff will be listed on ebay down the road and some will remain in my collection. Sorry I was AWOL for so long in not scanning those mags. I feel sorry for anyone who'se a completist and trying to collect everything MTG.
Sorry for another looong post and if I decide to ever trade a rarish item I'll post this site 1st, see my painting listed if you like Dwarves :D
Happy Thanksgiving
Kev

phyconaut
Librarities Member

Post by phyconaut » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:15 pm

YOu would not be iterested in parting with teh jesters cap back pack and wallet along with the Ice age store promotional Items and a tee shirt? I love Ice Age and if your willing to part with it you have a buyer if you do not want to part with it i can understand.

THANKS,

Phyconaut The Icy man
Current projects
Icy Manipulator Global set
The Mountain Project (Oficial name comming soon)
links for lists comming soon.