would you...

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

merfolkguy
Librarities Hero

would you...

Post by merfolkguy » Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:24 am

if you bought a rare card that is a pain to find on ebay, at a pretty good price (though the shipping was padded by an extra buck or two)...
then you got the card and it was a) not really 'nm' as described, but 'kinda barely/almost/borderline but not really nm/let's just call it EX'  
and...it was the wrong language.  Portuguese, not Spanish...

would you give the guy a 'Neutral' feedback, or just call him and tell him he misgraded his card and should verify his languages closer?

I'm not giving him a bad feedback anyway, I was just curious if you guys agreed.  *Luckily* I needed the card he sent me anyway, but his odds of that were pretty long...  I'd be a bit more peeved if I had a spare card I don't need now, or if for instance I had let some other card in an auction go because I was getting this one.

I suppose I'm getting old and crusty with age...

:)

i'll email him and just let him know actually.  no feedback.

merf
Collecting Merfolk and Lords of Atlantis, 1 of each, every language, misprints, etc.

Atlantis - The Merfolk Project

bigfatkitty
Legendary Overweight Cat Warrior

Re: would you...

Post by bigfatkitty » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:45 pm

I try to always ask for a scan before bidding on anything of real value.  And Spanish and Portugese are hard for the layman to spot the difference.  Also, one person's near mint is another person's excellent.

A scan would have prevented all of this and without one, it's just a leap of faith in some cases.

I know on any auctions I post on Ebay, I specifically say condition is as shown below and stay away from trying to grade a card for those reasons.

Check your e-mail, I may have some Merfolk for you, but I can't tell the difference between T and S Chinese.  ;)
Solitary Member of Dragsamou's 'Dirty Frenchie' Fan Club.
Worshiped by all Netherlandians.

Jess
Legendary Wet Dreams Tokens Creator

Post by Jess » Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:14 pm

Recently, I bought an English 'the Abyss' on ebay, which the seller claimed to be in mint condition. It happened to be near-mint/ex, so I gave the seller a 'neutral' feedback. Seller has to take full responsability for the items he puts for sale, heh!
Artist for Neo-Token.

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:02 pm

I assume that people are screwing up with language, especially Spanish/Portuguese, and I ask questions.

If, after that kind of thing, they STILL screw up, I have a long chat with them via email.  If they still don't want to fix the problem, neutral at best would be the answer..

Gryfalia
He's just this guy, ya know?

bigfatkitty
Legendary Overweight Cat Warrior

Post by bigfatkitty » Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:48 am

What's the best way to tell the difference between T and S Chinese then?
Solitary Member of Dragsamou's 'Dirty Frenchie' Fan Club.
Worshiped by all Netherlandians.

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:22 am

What's the best way to tell the difference between T and S Chinese then?
One is just a couple of straight lines - the other one does not have a straight line in it whatsoever.
Hope that helps!!   [smiley=goofy.gif]
Oct 30, away until further notice

AzureWinter
Legendary Flying Green Mana Bird

Post by AzureWinter » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:30 am

I give neutral/negative feedback if they send me a "not even close" grading or mistaking langauges.

I wouldn't mind if they say like "I can't tell what language it is, maybe Japanese or Chinese" then I wouldn't complain and give positive.

But if they say like "OMG JAPANESE HOT BLAH BLAH BLAH" and if it was S/T Chinese, Korean, then I'll give them negative feedback.

Muldoon
Legendary Dragon Whelp Master

Post by Muldoon » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:09 pm

Van suggests a very immature thing, doing that solves nothing, and it's honestly quite lame. As long as we're talking of a few bucks less value, like I would assume in this case, and a common language mistake, I think it's hardly "worth" a negative feedback.
Emailing for a partial refund or extra cards would be nice, and if he doesn't agree with it, you could consider a neutral feedback. As we all know, people grade condition differently... And if we gave eachother negative feedback for slight misjudgments with condition, I know someone who would have gotten quite a few (G-VG card graded EX+? come on :P)... Won't mention any names though.
What my point is; don't go too far over something trivial, but try to solve it peacefully and if the seller is a hardheaded jerk, well too bad...
"Treat others like you would like them to treat you" If you made a mistake like this, you wouldn't want a buyer to go leave a negative just to be an asshole, right?
Collecting Dragon Whelps! A/FBB/FWB/Summer/Alt4th/IE/TS/Test/Misprinted wanted!

silver.paladin
Librarities Legend

Post by silver.paladin » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:23 am

What my point is; don't go too far over something trivial, but try to solve it peacefully and if the seller is a hardheaded jerk, well too bad...
"Treat others like you would like them to treat you" If you made a mistake like this, you wouldn't want a buyer to go leave a negative just to be an asshole, right?
I won't quote all Muldoon says, but I agree with him.  Oftentimes, initially I will feel hotheaded and want to "get even" with the seller for something that happens.  But, sit back and think about it a couple of days, and may realize that it is an honest error/problem.  The biggest problem, is that there is so much dishonesty out there, so the first instinct is to think (as a buyer), that you have been 'screwed over' and want to do something to get even.  But sometimes it is an honest mistake, and emailing the seller first may resolve an honest error.
Doing the hot-headed instinct first may feel better, but sometimes doing the slower things end up being better.
Oct 30, away until further notice

Porkinho

Post by Porkinho » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:47 am

A little off topic I guess but:

1 - simplified chinese: the final "." (dot) of the text in the card is a circle (not filled - "o") in the middle (considering Y axis).
2 - traditional chinese: the final "." (dot) of the text in the card, is ... a simple (filled dot) "."  at the bottom (considering Y axis).
3 - korean : the final "." (dot) of the text in the card is a circle (not filled - "o") in the bottom (considering Y axis).
4 - As for the diference between spanish and portuguese, well, I'm from  Portugal, and I can tell the diference, so If in doubt, feel free to pm me with the text you see in the card, and I'll tell within 24 hours max :)

Luis

flatmatt
Legendary Wild Bear Tracker

Re: would you...http://saturn.vfx.com/brett/magic/

Post by flatmatt » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:46 am

A little off topic I guess but:

1 - simplified chinese: the final "." (dot) of the text in the card is a circle (not filled - "o") in the middle (considering Y axis).
2 - traditional chinese: the final "." (dot) of the text in the card, is ... a simple (filled dot) "."  at the bottom (considering Y axis).
3 - korean : the final "." (dot) of the text in the card is a circle (not filled - "o") in the bottom (considering Y axis).
I've heard about that method.  Unfortunately... well, it's just not true for the Chinese cards.  Both types of Chinese have the circle in the vertical middle of the line (at least until 8th Edition, after which the circle is at the bottom in Simplified, and I don't yet have an 8th Edition T-Chinese card).  Japanese cards are the ones with (before 8th, at least) the circle at the bottom of the line.

The easiest way to tell between the Asian languages is shown below; the period technique for Japanese (until 8th at least) and Korean:

http://saturn.vfx.com/brett/magic/period.html

Unfortunately, it breaks down when a card has no rules text (only flavor text).  In that case, unless the card type is one of the particular ones listed on this page (also useful for Spanish vs. Portuguese):

http://saturn.vfx.com/brett/magic/type.html

You'll have to look at the card's name.

http://www.flatmatt.com/other/rarities/sim-vs-trad.jpg

As is shown in the image, the title font follows the same "rules" as the rules text.

As a last note, from just doing my Bear collecting, I've learned to differentiate pretty much every language easily: Asian languages by the characters used and European by the actual words on them.  The only ones that are still a pain are the Chinese languages.

AzureWinter
Legendary Flying Green Mana Bird

Post by AzureWinter » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:19 am

It's so much easier to tell whichi asian language is which once you know how they look.  For my case, I can't tell Portuguese/Spanish, Italian/French.

http://doaw999.freestarthost.com/Image/Lang.jpg

Here's what I made for my friend in the past for quick reference.
Cut and paste plz, for some reason when I click the link it goes to the host.  If it doesnt for any other of you, then it's fine.