StarCityGames.com Offers Alt 4th cards for Sale

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

StarCityGames.com Offers Alt 4th cards for Sale

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:31 pm

http://www.starcitygames.com/php/news/e ... ticle=8272

However, an estimated ten cases of Alternate "Summer" Fourth Edition starter displays are believed to have survived.

* Estimated number of each Alternate "Summer" Fourth Edition rare in existence: 25

* Estimated number of each Alternate "Summer" Fourth Edition uncommon in existence: 75

* Estimated number of each Alternate "Summer" Fourth Edition common in existence: 215

* Estimated number of each Alternate "Summer" Fourth Edition basic land in existence: 1,450

This sounds waaaay low to me, though I guess we'll see.

GraueEminenz
Librarities Legend

Re: StarCityGames.com Offers Alt 4th cards for Sal

Post by GraueEminenz » Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:39 pm

Really nice but doubtful marketing ... >:(
They are quoting an ebay.de auction where a BOP bought in the US for around ~19.00$ sold for 234 Euro (~250$) 2 weeks later. The auction text was so ambiguous that you had to mistake it for real Summer Birds !
Greetings
Jan
There are only 10 types
of people in the world:
Those who understand binary
and those who don't

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:44 pm

I also HIGHLY question the assumption as to how many escaped into the wild.  I think it might have been more honest to say 'no one has a friggin clue' how much is available, because I don't think anyone does.

Nonetheless, it's good to see another source of, well, anything..;-)

Gryfalia
He's just this guy, ya know?

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Fri Oct 15, 2004 7:48 pm

Judging by the (relatively) high number of people on this site who have full sets or close to it (or claim to at least), I would say that number is quite low, though nobody know for sure.

alotenor2
Librarities Legend

Post by alotenor2 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:14 pm

Has it been established that all alt. 4th cards in existence came from starter decks?  If not, even if the 10 cases of starters is an accurate estimate, the number of cards in existence could be much higher.  In any case, it would be interesting to find out on what data the estimate is based.

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Post by ende73 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:32 pm

I have always believed alternate 4th (which I personally hate, especially when confused with the real Edgar Summer Set) is not that much rarer than regular 4th !

25 of each rare is ridiculous imho

Ende73
Please note my change in e-mail (check profile)

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:41 pm

I also HIGHLY question the assumption as to how many escaped into the wild.  I think it might have been more honest to say 'no one has a friggin clue' how much is available, because I don't think anyone does.

Nonetheless, it's good to see another source of, well, anything..;-)

Gryfalia
I agree with this 100% whole-heartedly.  Any claims of such nature are purely an estimation and therefore subject to the bs flag.

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:44 pm

Has it been established that all alt. 4th cards in existence came from starter decks?  If not, even if the 10 cases of starters is an accurate estimate, the number of cards in existence could be much higher.  In any case, it would be interesting to find out on what data the estimate is based.
I highly doubt this to be the case.  If an alternative company was indeed producing 4th edition I would really feel stringly in assuming that boosters were made as well.  Since the finding of the company name on the starter, I think an examination of 4th packs still unopened for the company name is in order.  If I recall Ohio seems to be the greatest source of these cards, so any members there that can search stores to see if any boosters match?

mintcollector
Librarities Legend

Post by mintcollector » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:49 pm

I have always believed alternate 4th (which I personally hate, especially when confused with the real Edgar Summer Set) is not that much rarer than regular 4th !

Ende73
I disagree with this statement of Alt 4th not being rarer than 4th.  If this statement were true, then this company who produced these had to have matched the Carta Mundi print run, which I really doubt happened, otherwise 50% of 4th cards should be glowing and this is not the case.  Now I do not agree that they are very rare, but they aren't as abundant as many might think.  I am still of the mindset these can be faked by applying a UV coat to a 4th card to match the needed effect.  Thus this is why I think they aren't valued as highly.

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:50 pm

Ende73
It's much rarer.  I went through all my 4th edition cards, and less than 1% of them were alt 4th.  That percentage is actually a lot higher than average.

Celebrindor

Post by Celebrindor » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:30 pm

Yes, the UV can be faked, mintcollector, but the true way of determining alt 4th from normal is the dot-pattern created by the printer.  

sylvanstu
Librarities Legend

Post by sylvanstu » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:15 pm

BULLS>>T   man i have alot more revised than 4th i've gone through both and found 0 summer cards ans found 75 alt 4th this is so bad of a clain BEN you should be ashamed i don't think i'll ever do buisness with a company that blatenly is so full of S>>T [smiley=veryangry.gif]
Collector of one of each Armageddon printed.

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:16 pm

Boys & girls (okay, boys) this article is unbelievable bullshit. For those of you living anywhere hours away from me you may be having a difficult time finding these cards, but if those figures are correct I've seen about 1/3 of all the Alt. 4th cards in existance. I even just 'happened' upon a starter thanks to a friend of mine.

I do not have a complete set as yet- but I own as many as 8 of any rare, and a few dozen of a few commons. I've traded away plenty too just to finish a set! Since I own about 2,000 cards of these right now, sure... the public can believe this story if they want.

srljstr

Post by srljstr » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:44 pm

I highly doubt this to be the case.  If an alternative company was indeed producing 4th edition I would really feel stringly in assuming that boosters were made as well.  Since the finding of the company name on the starter, I think an examination of 4th packs still unopened for the company name is in order.  If I recall Ohio seems to be the greatest source of these cards, so any members there that can search stores to see if any boosters match?
Could you post the name of the company? I know several stores with unopened 4th product and would like to see if I can find any of this locally.

Mr.C
Librarities Legend

Post by Mr.C » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:44 pm

question: i was thinking of collecting this 4th set, and, well, i´m scared... Are these prices for real? I mean, 130 for a starter??? i was really thinking of collecting it, but i´m impressed with the prices...
I collect foils and FBB Base Sets. PM me.