Do signed cards increase or decrease value?

Everything about value and availability of Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

shaselai1
Librarities Hero

Do signed cards increase or decrease value?

Post by shaselai1 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:14 am

There are couple of artists at the prix and i am thinking of getting few of my foils signed... does that decrease the value of the card or it is really dependent on the person interested in it?

AzureWinter
Legendary Flying Green Mana Bird

Post by AzureWinter » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:45 am

my opinion on signed card is it just depends.
Artist collector might increase the value, but most of the time, I would value it same or lower. It also depends on who signed it. I do value richard garfield signature higher.

Magik321
Legendary Infernal Contract Collector

Re: Do signed cards increase or decrease value?

Post by Magik321 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:50 am

shaselai1 wrote:There are couple of artists at the prix and i am thinking of getting few of my foils signed... does that decrease the value of the card or it is really dependent on the person interested in it?
Who are the artists attending Boston?

pickle.69
Legendary Shivan Dragon Master

Post by pickle.69 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:03 am

I keep saying one day all will be signed.
Collections needing help
Shivan Dragons http://beam.to/shivandragon
Alpha Dwarven Demo Team h: 5%
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... 9506#29506

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:16 pm

Who is there? In most cases having a card signed does not change the value at all in either direction. If you post it on eBay you are likely to get the same end price as an unsigned card. When trading, there are always some people who don't like them and will value them less, and some collectors who are interested in signed cards and will pay slightly more. Then there are certain artists who are very popular and can sometimes increase the value of the card, especially if they extend the art as well (Ron Spencer for example).

shaselai1
Librarities Hero

Post by shaselai1 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:29 pm

Lars Grant-West, Lars Grant-West, Cyril van der Haegen. There are 2 Lars's(on starcity at least). I was thinking of getting my angel token and maelstrom reg+foil signed... Are they famous?

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Re: Do signed cards increase or decrease value?

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:52 pm

shaselai1 wrote:There are couple of artists at the prix and i am thinking of getting few of my foils signed... does that decrease the value of the card or it is really dependent on the person interested in it?
Yes.

Over the last 16 years this has gone up and down. There was a time when any signed card was "cool".

It really is a buyers thing now. There are certainly some artists who's signiture I value more highly than others. Some artists I would rather not have sign my cards because their sig is so sloppy you wonder how they could do art.

My top choice is Randy Gallegos. His sig is like an additional piece of art to me.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

shaselai1
Librarities Hero

Post by shaselai1 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:42 pm

ah. I like matthew d. wilson's angel art. The recent angels has been pretty bad imo... Jenara looks like a guy!

aleksandr
Librarities Legend

Post by aleksandr » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:16 pm

Both Lars and Cyril are great guys. I've met both on numerous occasions and have carried on long conversations with both. Both have done some nice card modifications and sketches on APs for me as well.

In terms of the value of signed cards, as everyone else has already said, it depends. I do not value commons (or junk uncommons and most junk rares) that have been signed any higher than unsigned. In fact, I don't even bother getting commons signed anymore unless I use them in a deck and can get some kind of art modification done on them.

I've got to agree with you on the bad signatures Gary! I shouldn't be one to talk, because my signature is unreadable, but then again, I'm not an artist. I think the absolute worst offender is Anthony Waters. Back in the days when Blue Green Madness was prevalent in extended I had a lot of the cards signed by Waters (Wild Mongrel, etc.). I was so disappointed afterwards! I didn't find him to be particularly friendly either :(

shaselai1
Librarities Hero

Post by shaselai1 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:27 pm

are Rebbecca guay's signature sought after? And how do one meet these artists? Just the big events?

random
Librarities Legend

Post by random » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:23 pm

are Rebbecca guay's signature sought after?
She's at Comic Con as I write this. Basically people just walk up to them (artists) with magic cards to be signed. A lot of people are dicks and they bring up an uncomfortable amount to be signed and the artist will hopefully look at that person like he's a dick and tell him that he will sign X number of cards or something... Lots of artists will sign via the mail so not just big events.