Abnormal distruibution in some Alara Reborn boxes ?

Everything about value and availability of Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Tue May 12, 2009 12:21 pm

My Reborn boxes are made in USA, as are all my SoA and Conflux

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue May 12, 2009 1:35 pm

l0qii wrote:My Reborn boxes are made in USA, as are all my SoA and Conflux
Well it does seem logical. They can save some cool cash on shipping that way. Wonder if the backs of the t/t cards are the same in both printings?

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Tue May 12, 2009 6:26 pm

Mebbe that also explains the super strong new plastic they use to seal the boxes. It used to be easy to open them just by spreading apart the plastic, now it takes a pen or something to break through it...started with conflux...
He's just this guy, ya know?

aleksandr
Librarities Legend

Post by aleksandr » Wed May 13, 2009 4:43 pm

I wonder if this also explains the bunch of Shards token/tip cards I found that appeared to have been printed on the Conflux-type t/t paper stock...

Jeppe
Librarities Legend

Post by Jeppe » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:47 pm

I feel I should bump this. I've just opened a case of USA-made Alara Reborn, and some weeks ago I opened a couple of Belgium-made Alara Reborn boosters. And it's clearly a different printing process used in the Belgium-made.

The ones made in the US felt like normal magic cards, however, I noticed this about the ones made in Belgium:

- Glossier than the 'standard' ones made in the US. This I thought was very noticeable.
- Text appeared to be a little darker, or rather slightly, slightly blurred.
- Most distinct: They smelled VERY different! New Magic cards have a distinct smell and these didn't smell like Magic cards at all :-P
- More minor misprints like tiny rings and dots on the cards.

All in all, the ones made in Belgium felt cheaper made than the ones made in the US.

I almost feel that I should include both printings in my cat collection now. So now I have twice that many cards to collect in the future, sigh...

EDIT: Has anyone else noticed this, or did I come across some counterfeit cards? :-\
My cat collection and my Scathe Zombies collection
Do you have cards that I'm looking for? Let me know!

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:59 pm

Anyone knows where the AR cards from MTGO redemption are printed ?

agzz
Legendary Terese Nielsen Fan

Post by agzz » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Jeppe, think we had discussion regarding this when conflux came out, or was it shards?

Fyndhorn Elder

Post by Fyndhorn Elder » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:56 pm

Just to let you know :
We (MagicTrade, french Magic forum) are trying to get some real stats on the distribution in AR (I've done the same with Conflux, but with a lower population).
Here is the results :
For a display of 36 boosters (13 displays checked).

Mythics : Theory 4.5 Average 4.8 -> slightly more, non significative (standart deviation : 1.7 )
Rares (doubles) : Theory 9, Average 6.5 -> clearly less than expected. (standart deviation : 2,3)
Mythics (double) : Theorie 1, Average 0.4 -> As above. (standart deviation : 0,5)

Foils : theory 8 : 0.1 M, 0.5 R, 1.5 U and 6.7 C
Real average : 7.3 (standart deviation 1.3). 0.1 M (0,3) , 1.2 R (0,7) , 1.8 U (0.9) and 4.2 C (1.6).

If the total number of foils is correct, the distribution is not :far more R and U than expected.

And it seem that a sheet is exhausted before another thrown in, meaning there are less double than expected...
But 13 boses are still quite few...

Hope that will help...

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:09 pm

Jeppe wrote:I almost feel that I should include both printings in my cat collection now. So now I have twice that many cards to collect in the future, sigh...
I wish you hadn't said that...... Now the "need" is starting to build.

Gary