Korean 5th Necropotence

Everything about value and availability of Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Korean 5th Necropotence

Post by berkumps » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:43 pm

Would be curious what people value these at. I have seen them end for $50 or more on ebay, but the latest one that just ended seems a tad ridiculous:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0110183891

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:24 am

It's worth closer to $75-100, but a pair of crackheads took it up for some reason.

Worth
Librarities Legend

also

Post by Worth » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:56 am

I generally take with a BIG grain of salt any ending bid I see that seems crazy from a bidder with less than 10 or 20 feedback.

Too easy to make an account and shill bid stuff, even still.

dry cereal
Legendary Part of a Complete Breakfast

Post by dry cereal » Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:59 am

how do they have the most rabid videogame populace in the world but mtg failed there?

Volcanon
Legendary Snooty Caller

Post by Volcanon » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:42 pm

A national population of 48 million? Not enough customers, and maybe some sort of distribution problem.

English: Billions
Chinese: Billions
Japanese: 150m
Portugese: 200m
Spanish: at least 140m
Italian: 60m
Russia: 140m
French: 61m plus 8m in Quebec (I doubt St.Lucia cares about cards).

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:23 pm

Volcanon wrote:A national population of 48 million? Not enough customers, and maybe some sort of distribution problem.
The problem is much more complex than that. One factor that weighed in very heavily was the study ethic forced on HS age children.

In Korea school hours are longer than here in the US. Often don't get out until 5 pm. At the time Magic was there some schools had classes even on Saturday.

BUT, after school a large % of HS students then must go to private tutors or "academies" where they prep for the National College entrance exam. Most of these go till 11-12 pm. Then up to be at school at 0730.

The college exams are probably the most discriminating in the world. If you don't pass? Well you have failed your parents, shamed your family and will probably be shunned by most of your former school friends. And, presently if your not a college graduate, your nothing and even if you are but from a small college--

Now interject a game that "may" help with English (unless the cards are printed in Korean) but has no other value for passing said exam and takes considerable time to play competitively and you have oil and water.

Having said all that, that was the public reason Magic failed in Korea. I think it was just a contributing factor but that is all I will say about it.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

andytalaga
Librarities Legend

Post by andytalaga » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:52 am

mystical_tutor wrote:
Volcanon wrote:A national population of 48 million? Not enough customers, and maybe some sort of distribution problem.
The problem is much more complex than that. One factor that weighed in very heavily was the study ethic forced on HS age children.

In Korea school hours are longer than here in the US. Often don't get out until 5 pm. At the time Magic was there some schools had classes even on Saturday.

BUT, after school a large % of HS students then must go to private tutors or "academies" where they prep for the National College entrance exam. Most of these go till 11-12 pm. Then up to be at school at 0730.

The college exams are probably the most discriminating in the world. If you don't pass? Well you have failed your parents, shamed your family and will probably be shunned by most of your former school friends. And, presently if your not a college graduate, your nothing and even if you are but from a small college--

Now interject a game that "may" help with English (unless the cards are printed in Korean) but has no other value for passing said exam and takes considerable time to play competitively and you have oil and water.

Having said all that, that was the public reason Magic failed in Korea. I think it was just a contributing factor but that is all I will say about it.

and this is different from Japan how exactly....? Japan being one of the most competitive countries for Magic after the U.S. and maybe France?

me-and_we
Librarities Legend

Post by me-and_we » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:12 am

And as far as I know Japan and the part of my family that is japanese, it is not at all comparable to Korea. Japan does tend to be highly competitive and spare time is a rare thing, but that never stopped japanese people to create sort of a second life where they obsessively concentrate on their pastime activity.

Sometimes I hate being born in Germany where you have all these freedoms and spare time, it's just so unproductive in every way. On the other hand thinking about 60-70 hour weeks as a pupil at high school sort of turns me off.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:51 am

French : you can add Belgium and Switzerland (though we use English cards in Belgium most of the time)

Volcanon
Legendary Snooty Caller

Post by Volcanon » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:31 pm

magic-belgium wrote:

French : you can add Belgium and Switzerland (though we use English cards in Belgium most of the time)
That's right.
BTW, what does Switzerland french say for 70,80, and 90? My teacher said it wasn't just "sixty-ten", "four-twenty", or "four-twenty-ten", something like "septente" or something?

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:50 pm

andytalaga wrote: and this is different from Japan how exactly....? Japan being one of the most competitive countries for Magic after the U.S. and maybe France?
LOL this innocent question could start a student riot in Korea and have little old grandmas looking at you like you just crawled out of a cave. The short of it is that in the Japanese occupation of Korea from 1905 to 1945 Korea was brutally raped, shamed, and scourged to the extent that anyone age 50 or over hates the Japanese.

I'm not saying that is as it should be. I am just passing a fact on to you. A fact that I learned multiple times in the 11 years I lived in Korea. I saw this demonstrated again yesterday when Korea beat Japan in Baseball. Koreans are no more competitive than other nations---unless it is against Japan. Then the blood hatred comes out.

It is a sad thing. Each of our countries have done things in the past that we are not fond of remembering. It is just that this one is recent enough that it is still alive.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

stratego

Post by stratego » Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:51 pm

That's right.
BTW, what does Switzerland french say for 70,80, and 90? My teacher said it wasn't just "sixty-ten", "four-twenty", or "four-twenty-ten", something like "septente" or something?
70 septante, 80 huitante, 90 nonante

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:07 pm

80, octante en Suisse

Volcanon
Legendary Snooty Caller

Post by Volcanon » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:38 pm

Total thread derailment:

How did 70-90 end up being different for switzerland and france? Something to do with Latin, which often had base 12s for some reason?

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:20 pm

Another Korean Necro on feebay, another $200+ ending price. At least this one is signed!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0340609961