What are these beta cards worth

Everything about value and availability of Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:05 pm

They are ebay averages

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:07 pm

His website rocks ! It deserved some advertising here ! Well deserved.

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Post by ende73 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:22 pm

l0qii wrote:They are ebay averages
Yes, and is that over a 30-day time span? Both BIN and auctions and items from shops?

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:31 am

ende73 wrote:
l0qii wrote:They are ebay averages
Yes, and is that over a 30-day time span? Both BIN and auctions and items from shops?
Items sold. doesn't matter what kind of sale it was. By default it's the last 2 weeks, but if there were less than 10 in the last 2 weeks it will go back until it finds 10 samples.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:53 am

Just for the heck of it, did you look at the prices in Trollandtoad.com? They usually keep a fairly good stock on hand and you will see what they, at least, are selling them for and you can check their buy list to get a solid "at least I can get this" price.

I have some issues with ebay and single card sales. I won't go into detail but I just have to believe there is a better way.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:14 am

I don't check any store inventory for a couple reasons:

1. People can ask anything for a card. And it's a given rule of business that they must buy low, so that's not accurate either. I would only be interested in actual sales numbers.

2. "Screen scraping" the data off the web is hard. Data gathering has to be automated, and I can not rely on the HTML of a website to stay consistent. The only way I would be able to get store data is if it was provided to me in a standard format.

I'd love to discuss your issues with using ebay as a guide, but rather than hijack this thread we should probably start a new one.

mystical_tutor

Re: What are these beta cards worth

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:45 am

skirk1983 wrote:Hi
I'm gonna sell my Beta cards.
What do you think I could get for these Beta cards, if I sold all at the same time?
Skirk, what I'm saying is, If you send this list to Jon at troll and toad one of his buyers will give you an estimate (they have to see the cards before making a solid offer). That estimate will give you a solid bottom line to work from. You are not obligated to sell to them.

Then post the lot on about three or four MTG boards (ebay if you must) and use that bottom line (jacked up to what you can live with) as your reserve. If they sell, then you got more than you could have from the dealer (almost a given but not quite). If they don't sell you can adjust your price as you see fit.

My opinion differs from lOqii. I have little interest in historical data when it comes to selling collectors items. What happened yesterday is only a little true today and means even less tomorrow. It all depends on the mood of the person that happens to see something he/she wants and has the money for it. That is very inconsistent and unpredictable.

I put up a PSA 8 black lotus for 1500.00 one time (yes on *that* web site) and didn't get a single bid (Got several under the table offers--which I ignored). Put it up again later for less and got over 1500 for it. None of it makes any sense. The guy that won it was trying to snipe another auction and while he was killing time saw it, just had to have it and got it.

Best of luck and I really hope your happy with what you get.
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:18 am

That is so true !

The same happened with a Beta Deck sold on Ebay some months ago...

There was a Best Offer option on the listing, and Mark was getting crap offers for it.

Another Beta Deck was sold at the same time on auction, and the second highest bidder BINned the Beta Deck in Mark's store.

A reaction to frustration ?

yvel
Librarities Legend

Re: What are these beta cards worth

Post by yvel » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:17 am

Hi,
i 'm interested by this cards (Nm / M only).

Black Vise
Dingus Egg
helm of Chatzuk
Jade Monolith
Juggernaut
Meekstone
Rod of Ruin

Mana Short
Pirate Ship
Water Elemental

Aspect of Wolf
Living Lands
Verduran Enchantress

Keldon Warlord
Mana Flare

Purelace
Reverse Damage

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:36 pm

I don't mean to imply that you shouldn't sell to TnT or someplace like that. It would be a guaranteed reliable sale at a predictable price. Ebay is a whimsical, unpredictable market and just because a card gets X on average doesn't mean you personally will get anywhere near that. I started collecting that data in 99/00 at a time when nobody else was doing it, to see how it stood up to the published price guides which I thought were grossly inaccurate.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:13 pm

l0qii wrote:...the published price guides which I thought were grossly inaccurate.
Now, buddy, I can agree 100% with that. Nothing in the world so cool as having the industry that sells something provide data for a listing of how much their items sell for. All those years that they were telling everyone how much a display box of Alpha starter decks was selling for when they hadn't even seen one for a decade.
Gary Adkison

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:21 pm

Same in France with Lotus Noir and Mana Rouge which live out of the advertisements of the stores selling cards...

Prices indicated are outrageous.

skirk1983
Librarities Hero

Post by skirk1983 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:19 am

I have decided to break up my lot. So you guys that are interested in singles please send me a pm and we can work out a deal.

Best regards

Skirk

skirk1983
Librarities Hero

Post by skirk1983 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:21 pm

My Beta LOT is still available. Please send me a PM if interested and let us make a deal :)

Skirk