Alternate 4th edition misprint?

Personal offers and search inquiries about promotional, misprinted, and unofficial Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Jakobmunk1981

Alternate 4th edition misprint?

Post by Jakobmunk1981 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:19 pm

Hi :)

I recently got my hands on this alternate 4th counterspell. (Im sure its alt 4th judging from the inverted blue in the "A" on the backside)

However, it seems "off"
The drops in the mana symbols seem to be to low in the circles, and tilted a bit.
Also the blue card frame at the top extends beyond the black border line.
Mostly though, the black shadow in the card name and artist credit does not align properly. Left side is OK'ish, but it gets worse going right (look at Mark Poole's credit artist to see

So, is this thing rare, or is it a common mistake on alt 4th?
(and whats wrong with it?)

Jakob

I added picture of course, if anyone know a great site for this, please let me know. I went with Imgur since it was first in google search for free image hosting ;)

EDIT: Smaller image :)
Last edited by Jakobmunk1981 on Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:28 pm

Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:54 pm

Nice one, I have few misprints similar but not Alternate fourth edition.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:02 pm

The cards are printed with four colors, Blue, Red, Yellow, & Black.
Each color is printed separately.

Printer Registration is the ability of a printer to grab a sheet and feed it through exactly the same way each time so that the colors line up as they should.
(for example, you could print a text document on your home printer, then put the same page back into the printer and print the same document onto the page again. If your printer had excellent registration, you would not be able to tell that it had been printed twice, but if your printer had poor registration (as most home printers do), then you would be able to see that the page was double printed. Registration is very important on a professional printing press, but not so much on a home machine.)

What you have here is a registration error that occurred as the Black was being printed. The result is that the Black is located slightly off from where it should have been.

I've not seen this on an Alt 4th card before, but I have seen it on several regular cards.

Tav

Neuron
Legendary Print Variant Explorer

Post by Neuron » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:40 pm

I have a precursor of your Counterspell, a bit less shifted.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:01 am

Tav;

Thanks for that explanation. Over the years I have noticed stuff out of place and never got excited as it seemed to be just part of the human element in manufacture.

I went through my USA 4th ed blue cards and noted that the mana drop does move around. The only one I have that touches the bottom is an UNC Phantom Monster. There does not seem to be real consistent printing of it though.

The shadow printing on the PM is where it should be.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

Jakobmunk1981

Post by Jakobmunk1981 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:21 am

Interesting😃
Both how it is made the error, and that it "moves", but then again, it should do that i Think, depending on the cards place on the sheet

Thanks for the explanation😃

TheJGit
Legendary Beginner's Guide Author

Post by TheJGit » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:42 pm

I have an alt 4th Brass man that I call double printed, but Tav explains it better. :-D

ImageImage

So there are misprints in alt 4th, but needless to say they're not very common.

matts46570
Librarities Hero

Post by matts46570 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:04 pm

I'm a little off topic here, but how much do you guys think an Alt 4th starter deck box (10 decks) is worth?
Unlimited collector! Please pm me if you have any BGS 9.5 or very good-looking ungraded cards to trade or sell!

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:06 pm

That Brass Man looks pretty amazing!

Tav