9th chinese misprinted uncommons

Personal offers and search inquiries about promotional, misprinted, and unofficial Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:38 am

If you want to buy a copy of photoshop that you intend to use for many years, you may have to look for a version that's about a year old. If I recall correctly, Photoshop recently went to a subscription based business model so that you purchase a subscription to use the software instead of purchasing the software itself. This way you have to keep paying them forever, but at least you always have the newest version.

I don't care for the subscription model myself, but that seems to be the way the software world is headed.

Regarding straightening an image, (I use CS5) Right click on the Eyedropper tool and you can change it to the Ruler tool. Use the Ruler tool to draw a line that you would like to be straight (vertical or horizontal doesn't matter). Usually you will be drawing the ruler line over an image feature like a Magic card edge, a building roof, or horizon, etc. Then there is a big button at the top that says "Straighten", click it. It will rotate your picture to be straight and crop the edges so there is no blank space. If you like the straightening, but not the cropping, you can back up (undo) a step to uncrop it.

Tav

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:00 pm

Tav

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try and report back. I have PS10 and the Image>custom>straighten image tool works sometimes and sometimes even makes things worse

Yes, I am not for the subscription and stick with my old version.

As you know scans are not always square by demention. Someone told me that it has to do with the scanner software--I know not but find it all too often. The border that TheJGit made me really helps but i need to play with it more as it uses the guide lines and maybe it will straighten my image more than I give it credit for.

Thanks again.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

TheJGit
Legendary Beginner's Guide Author

Post by TheJGit » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:23 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:Tav

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try and report back. I have PS10 and the Image>custom>straighten image tool works sometimes and sometimes even makes things worse

Yes, I am not for the subscription and stick with my old version.

As you know scans are not always square by demention. Someone told me that it has to do with the scanner software--I know not but find it all too often. The border that TheJGit made me really helps but i need to play with it more as it uses the guide lines and maybe it will straighten my image more than I give it credit for.

Thanks again.

Gary
I haven't given up on automating the entire process yet. If there's a single card per scan I can write an action which will handel everyting no problem. The tricky part is when your scans have multiple cards in them. If you want to manually crop out and save each card as individual jpegs you can batch that entire folder. I've been busy with a digital painting class recently and haven't have much time to experiment, but i'll get around to it eventually.

As far as Adobe versions are concerned they have switched to a subscription based model. This is really annoying but as cataclysm said, this is where software is heading now a days. I'm not sure how trustworthy they are, but it looks like you can find a copy of CS6 on ebay for about $300.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:46 am

Actually I do the "one card at a time" cropping for a couple reasons.
1) I am then able to organize them by the topics on the board (bab-launch-etc) and by language.
2) it is much easier for my mind to think in terms of one picture than a whole page..... LOL.

I have a hundred or so already cropped and organized. Eyes are giving me a little trouble so haven't done many lately. Will get on it again soon tough and am trying to figure out the best way to get the border you sent to help me with the straightning.

OBTW. It is not a program problem with straightening as much as it is a shaky hand problem. I have to slide the mouse over the menu to another drop down menu to get to the "custom" function. That sometimes takes 3 or 4 tries.

Gary
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

TheJGit
Legendary Beginner's Guide Author

Post by TheJGit » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:37 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:Actually I do the "one card at a time" cropping for a couple reasons.
1) I am then able to organize them by the topics on the board (bab-launch-etc) and by language.
2) it is much easier for my mind to think in terms of one picture than a whole page..... LOL.

I have a hundred or so already cropped and organized. Eyes are giving me a little trouble so haven't done many lately. Will get on it again soon tough and am trying to figure out the best way to get the border you sent to help me with the straightning.

OBTW. It is not a program problem with straightening as much as it is a shaky hand problem. I have to slide the mouse over the menu to another drop down menu to get to the "custom" function. That sometimes takes 3 or 4 tries.

Gary
I hope this applies to PS10, but here's how to automatically align a bunch of singles:

1. Open as many cards as you want to straighten in a single photoshop document as seperate layers. (depending on your computer you might not want to open too many)(also make sure that they're all the same dpi)
2. Straighten 1 layer and lock it (small lock button in the layer pallet) This is going to be the layer that all the other layers will align to.
3. Select all of your other layers
4. Edit>Auto-Align Layers
5. A window should pop up asking you which method you want to choose, Auto should be selected by default, but if it's not select it, and hit ok.
6. Watch photoshop do your work for you.
7. From here you can save off all of the layers as individual jpegs by going to File>Scripts>Export Layers to Files...

That should make thigs a little easier for now untill I condense it into 1 button.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:48 pm

Thanks for the detailed instructions. I think that feature would be great to have.

I did fine till I got to step 4. PS10 does not have an auto-align feature that I can find. When i googled for it I kept coming up with newer versions of PS and when I used the PS10 help the search could not come up with the phrase and it was not listed in the glossary.

I did learn some things while trying to do it though. Learning is great, remembering is even better.... LOL.

Thanks again but it makes me wonder that even if you do get it to one button it may not work on my PS.

I wouldn't mind buying a newer version but am not in favor of the subscription as I really can't afford it.

Gary
Gary Adkison

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:44 pm

mystical_tutor wrote: I wouldn't mind buying a newer version but am not in favor of the subscription as I really can't afford it.
I suggest trying to find a new copy of CS5 or CS6 while you still can.

Tav