Miscut Innistrad Foil Rares

Personal offers and search inquiries about promotional, misprinted, and unofficial Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Miscut Innistrad Foil Rares

Post by berkumps » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:28 am

There have been 3 auctions thus far, for miscut Innistrad foil rares, each by a different seller (all located in different parts of California). Each time one gets listed, it invariably winds up ended early, and shortly thereafter, another miscut is listed by another seller. The third one is currently listed at the moment, however I'm sure it'll end early also. Who's the mysterious bandit making offers these sellers can't refuse? Why do these auctions never overlap? Am I being ridiculous in thinking this is weird?

Here are the ones listed thus far:

Image Image Image

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:03 am

Hopefully Angelic Overseer and Angel of Flight Alabaster will get listed.
BGS 9+ Alpha set 282/295 (97.29%) Avg 9.41
BGS 9.5+ Beta set 283/302 (93.71%) Avg 9.58
BGS 9.5+ Arabian set 35/92 (38.04%) Avg 9.62
BGS 9.5+ Antiquities set 82/100 (82%) Avg 9.64
BGS 9.5+ Legends set 279/310 (90.00%) Avg 9.61

Doymecca

Post by Doymecca » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:52 am

are these real, or could they be cut from the sheets given out at worlds?

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:14 pm

Doymecca wrote:are these real, or could they be cut from the sheets given out at worlds?
This thought has crossed my mind. Worlds in CA, all 3 sellers in CA. Coincidence?

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:35 pm

LOL... Well, all I can say is I know you will get one someway sometime and then, thankfully, we will all know if it was a fake cut sheet....

Gary

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:10 pm

For whatever it's worth, I recently got this PM on MTGSalvation:
Hello Gunslinga,
I have a friend who won a FOIL Innistrad Sheet. He said that the retail is $800, but some people offered $300. He said that he heard if he cut the Liliana and Snapcaster Mage (which are right above one another) the wrong (right) way (miscut), he could get much more. How would you suggest doing that? Would a Snapcaster Mage/Liliana FOIL miscut go for a bunch? How much? Thanks.
This was after the cards were posted on ebay, however. I believe they are legit, but I could be wrong.

For the record, my response to the PM was basically "go to hell."

yvel
Librarities Legend

Post by yvel » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:48 pm

LOL
The uncut sheet should have a sign on the back in order to recognize them.
Like a small red cross.

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:49 pm

I got a bigger scan of one, and the corners and bottom edge look slightly imperfect. I am going to retract my previous assumption that these are real, and replace it with "I am pretty sure that these are cut from a sheet." I wish Wizards would stop giving away these sheets.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:56 pm

Tha_Gunslinga wrote:I got a bigger scan of one, and the corners and bottom edge look slightly imperfect. I am going to retract my previous assumption that these are real, and replace it with "I am pretty sure that these are cut from a sheet." I wish Wizards would stop giving away these sheets.
+1
Along with the circumstantial evidence of all being in the same general location, I think we know what's going on here.

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:03 pm

Well, initially my assumption was that a sheet of rare foils had been miscut at the factory, which would mean that there were 121 boxes (or something like that) with them in it, and it seemed likely that those boxes would go to the same area, so the fact that they were all coming from California made sense. The fact that Worlds was in Cali makes the cut-up sheet theory much more likely, though.

sdematt
Librarities Hero

Post by sdematt » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:15 am

The fact they're all miscut the same amount is also making me think the same thing.
That would happen if they're all from the same sheet.

-Matt
"I'm your Huckleberry"

Collector of Beta/Alpha Dual Lands

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:05 pm

WotC gives uncut sheets away because they assume people will think they get a treasure.

But it is costless for WotC.

Players who win them want to get rid of them to get money, but most of the time, no one cares about them.

Here in Belgium, I don't know anyone owing one who could resell it. I've been asked repeatedly if I was interested. And I was not.

I wish they stopped considering the players as fools more than any other consideration...

Doymecca

Post by Doymecca » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:39 pm

yvel wrote:LOL
The uncut sheet should have a sign on the back in order to recognize them.
Like a small red cross.

I guess, if anyone sees another of these auctions you can ask for better pictures of the front and back, and see if there is anything amiss with the back of the card.

caquaa
Librarities Legend

Post by caquaa » Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:57 am

Tha_Gunslinga wrote:For whatever it's worth, I recently got this PM on MTGSalvation:
Hello Gunslinga,
I have a friend who won a FOIL Innistrad Sheet. He said that the retail is $800, but some people offered $300. He said that he heard if he cut the Liliana and Snapcaster Mage (which are right above one another) the wrong (right) way (miscut), he could get much more. How would you suggest doing that? Would a Snapcaster Mage/Liliana FOIL miscut go for a bunch? How much? Thanks.
This was after the cards were posted on ebay, however. I believe they are legit, but I could be wrong.

For the record, my response to the PM was basically "go to hell."
I would have said something along the lines of, "Just use some scissors, it will turn out fine." Its not like they have multiple shots at it, let them screw up the sheet and call it a day.

Blood
Librarities Hero

Post by Blood » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:09 am

If anyone cares, I have a Foil Rare Miscut from the "flip cards" sheet that I know 100% is legit. I got the scan of it the day of the prerelease, and hastily made an offer and squired it. It was from NJ. I will post scans of it tomorrow at work.

And I almost forgot, the card is Bloodline Keeper\Lord of Lineage. The card that it is miscut with is Green. We are pretty sure it is Not Garruk. Jason