Huge summer Edgar sale on MOTL. Kidicarus

Personal offers and search inquiries about promotional, misprinted, and unofficial Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:38 pm

ouallada wrote:I'm a bit hesitant to pay 2+k on a badlands that isn't even in the same kind of condition that Sithinfiltrator used to sell though. Not sure if this is actually a good thing for me in general despite the fact that my summer stuff is worth considerably more. I expect summer serendibs could hit 10k now. Anyone disagree?
The play ability of Serindib compared to a Dual is much different. I don't think people are buying the duals from a collect ability standpoint they're buying them to pimp out there decks. Since Serindib isn't on a deck list I feel it's safe to say it won't hit the 10k mark. I have a feeling all the Summer duals will be 1750-5000 easily.
BGS 9+ Alpha set 282/295 (97.29%) Avg 9.41
BGS 9.5+ Beta set 283/302 (93.71%) Avg 9.58
BGS 9.5+ Arabian set 35/92 (38.04%) Avg 9.62
BGS 9.5+ Antiquities set 82/100 (82%) Avg 9.64
BGS 9.5+ Legends set 279/310 (90.00%) Avg 9.61

i_set_fire
Librarities Hero

Post by i_set_fire » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:37 pm

I agree with Brian. So far the only stuff that has gone really high has been playable stuff. Unplayables are only slightly higher than what they used to be.

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:37 pm

The litmus test of that is going to be the hurricane. If that goes up too, the price rises aren't necessarily linked to playability, especially not when summer is 1) collectible, and 2) almost impossible to get a set of, which really invalidates deckbuilding to an extent as something like a Badlands is a 4of, and 3 x beta 1 x summer looks terrible.

I wouldn't say only the playables have gone up, though. Just look at the random chaff. That they are dangerously close to ABU prices, the very same prices that we derided on here as being too high, speaks volumes about that.

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:42 pm

ouallada wrote:The litmus test of that is going to be the hurricane. If that goes up too, the price rises aren't necessarily linked to playability, especially not when summer is 1) collectible, and 2) almost impossible to get a set of, which really invalidates deckbuilding to an extent as something like a Badlands is a 4of, and 3 x beta 1 x summer looks terrible.

I wouldn't say only the playables have gone up, though. Just look at the random chaff. That they are dangerously close to ABU prices, the very same prices that we derided on here as being too high, speaks volumes about that.
The hurricane is the most well known misprint in the magic community it's not the same as Serindib. Everyone and there mother that's a hardcore collector wants a hurricane just to say they have one. The hurricane is not a good reference as to the price increase on a Serindib.

As for the 4 of comment. People are putting these cards in EDH decks which you can only have 1 of each card to getting 4 is irrelevant.

With the current market on cards if a Sol Ring or Tutor comes up I'd expect to see them hit $2500-$3000 at this point in time. Non blue duals $1750-$3000 and blue duals at $3000-$5000. Sea's being at the top and Scrubland being at the low.

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:07 pm

The Serendib is the most expensive attainable card there is. I think we're shortselling it by saying that it's not in the same league as the hurricane. Anyone bidding thousands on these knows what they are bidding on, and anyone who knows summer knows that the efreet is the go-to for summer. The hurricane has more casual appeal, sure. I won't expect casual collectors to be influencing the price of the high end cards much, though.

98ViperGTS

Post by 98ViperGTS » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:35 pm

Magic61983 wrote:
ouallada wrote:The litmus test of that is going to be the hurricane. If that goes up too, the price rises aren't necessarily linked to playability, especially not when summer is 1) collectible, and 2) almost impossible to get a set of, which really invalidates deckbuilding to an extent as something like a Badlands is a 4of, and 3 x beta 1 x summer looks terrible.

The hurricane is the most well known misprint in the magic community it's not the same as Serindib. Everyone and there mother that's a hardcore collector wants a hurricane just to say they have one. The hurricane is not a good reference as to the price increase on a Serindib.

As for the 4 of comment. People are putting these cards in EDH decks which you can only have 1 of each card to getting 4 is irrelevant.

With the current market on cards if a Sol Ring or Tutor comes up I'd expect to see them hit $2500-$3000 at this point in time. Non blue duals $1750-$3000 and blue duals at $3000-$5000. Sea's being at the top and Scrubland being at the low.
I sold my Tutor a couple months back for $2600, no questions or haggling whatsoever.

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:02 pm

This discussion is becoming very interesting :-k

So if we take the position that the more playable cards are edging out some others that are purely collectible, then does that mean that the Summer US may have taken over the #2 spot for most valuable card in this set?

:-\'
Last edited by Hayden on Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:04 pm

Only 9 surface? Pfft. Did you not wear gloves when you opened that in a booster?

:p

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:12 pm

berkumps wrote:Only 9 surface? Pfft. Did you not wear gloves when you opened that in a booster?

:p
:-D I guess it was a mistake opening the pack with my teeth #-o

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:27 pm

Hayden wrote: So if we take the position that the more playable cards are edging out some others that are purely collectible, then does that mean that the Summer US may have taken over the #2 spot for most valuable card in this set?

:-\'
I would say yes

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:31 pm

I find it funny someone found my Summer Sea scan. Nice work Hayden.
ouallada wrote:The Serendib is the most expensive attainable card there is. I think we're shortselling it by saying that it's not in the same league as the hurricane. Anyone bidding thousands on these knows what they are bidding on, and anyone who knows summer knows that the efreet is the go-to for summer. The hurricane has more casual appeal, sure. I won't expect casual collectors to be influencing the price of the high end cards much, though.
I'm not saying your wrong but when it comes to Summer edition and people pimping decks and wanting the coolest misprints Summer edition is what people look for. That being said Summer Serindib is the go-to for Summer collector but most people know Summer edition by Hurricane and Hurricane alone. Summer Serindib doesn't appeal to ordinary collectors because it's not a "misprint". Serindib has the correct picture and border unlike Revised. So you can't really compare it to a Hurricane which is the inverse. When people think of the most valuable card in magic they don't think Serindib Efreet unless they really really know magic. They think of "Blue Hurriance". You have no idea how many times I had to school people on Summer at shows because they all thought that the most valuable magic card was a Blue Hurricane when it's really a Summer Serindib. Blue Hurricane is an iconic card and Serindib is as well but the Blue Hurricane is much more known then Serindib's are and a misprint collector would much rather have a Blue Hurricane then a correct Serindib Efreet.

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:19 pm

Magic61983 wrote:I find it funny someone found my Summer Sea scan. Nice work Hayden.
I not only found the scan I found the whole card :-D

Magic61983
Librarities Legend

Post by Magic61983 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:29 pm

Hayden wrote:
Magic61983 wrote:I find it funny someone found my Summer Sea scan. Nice work Hayden.
I not only found the scan I found the whole card :-D
Interesting I wasn't aware that 2 existed. Very nice Hayden. I see you found your scan not mine. =)

Here's the other one.

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:22 pm

Nice Brian, now I know who the other owner is - congratz

We are only 2 more 9.5s away from a playset lol

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:32 am

ouallada wrote:The Serendib is the most expensive attainable card there is. I think we're shortselling it by saying that it's not in the same league as the hurricane. Anyone bidding thousands on these knows what they are bidding on, and anyone who knows summer knows that the efreet is the go-to for summer. The hurricane has more casual appeal, sure. I won't expect casual collectors to be influencing the price of the high end cards much, though.
I'm not saying your wrong but when it comes to Summer edition and people pimping decks and wanting the coolest misprints Summer edition is what people look for. That being said Summer Serindib is the go-to for Summer collector but most people know Summer edition by Hurricane and Hurricane alone. Summer Serindib doesn't appeal to ordinary collectors because it's not a "misprint". Serindib has the correct picture and border unlike Revised. So you can't really compare it to a Hurricane which is the inverse. When people think of the most valuable card in magic they don't think Serindib Efreet unless they really really know magic. They think of "Blue Hurriance". You have no idea how many times I had to school people on Summer at shows because they all thought that the most valuable magic card was a Blue Hurricane when it's really a Summer Serindib. Blue Hurricane is an iconic card and Serindib is as well but the Blue Hurricane is much more known then Serindib's are and a misprint collector would much rather have a Blue Hurricane then a correct Serindib Efreet.
To be honest, the entire reason the serendib is the most expensive summer card in the first place is because it ISN'T the misprint, and when the misprint was common enough in Revised to be the norm instead of the exception, the correct version becomes the misprint, so to speak. I mean, Serendib didn't start off as the most expensive card in summer -- hurricane was. It was only after the whole boom a decade ago that people started to sit up and realise the efreet being correctly printed makes it more collectible, and the price has increased by a multiple of 10 through the years.

That's not saying that most people won't want the hurricane -- it is definitely more recognisable and is cheaper. You could very well be right in saying hurricane isn't a good gauge of summer price rises in general, but the hurricane is exactly the definition of unplayability and collectibility. The efreet is somewhere there as well, but no one who doesn't know summer is going to shell 4+k out to get the hurricane. Anyone who does know summer is going to know the efreet.

In any case, I'm going to be doing whatever I can to pick up either the trop or the hurricane. It's an interesting discussion for sure.