Huge summer Edgar sale on MOTL. Kidicarus

Personal offers and search inquiries about promotional, misprinted, and unofficial Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

sdematt
Librarities Hero

Post by sdematt » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:58 am

I think these trends also have to do with the fact Icarus is selling them. If you'll notice, his feedback is awesome (obviously), but you can also see his other auctions usually end at the top end of the price range due to him being a trustworthy dealer, which is especially crucial when buying stuff like Summer Magic.

My point is, if this were someone else selling them, like just some random with good feedback, but not Icarus, I think we'd see slightly higher that "normal," but not super elevated like this.

-Matt
"I'm your Huckleberry"

Collector of Beta/Alpha Dual Lands

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:48 am

It definitely has to do with his feedback. There will be more people following his items, which could generate more interest in them than there normally is, especially if you compare these to the previous summer batches where the seller only sold summer. Even though a lot of these prices are very high, it's important to note that in the big picture, it's STILL only $200+ for an island, which isn't really a lot. This is also reflected in the fact that a half dozen or so varied bidders puchased the basics. $200 for each person to own a summer basic isn't really that much.

It's the high end cards where a couple hundred won't cut it that will separate the collectors from the people who just want to get in on a piece of the summer pie. I'm not using that as an elitist term, just saying that I won't expect the average player on the street to fork out $2k to get a summer dual. The disk will be a very good indicator of whether the above supposition actually has any truth though. If it ends up for 1.5k, my foot will be in my mouth for the rest of the month.

Giediprime41
Librarities Legend

Post by Giediprime41 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:59 am

Is it just me, or does anyone else wonder why the hell people bid on the auctions during the days their waiting?
I mean you have to wait either way for at least six days, why the hell are you bidding .. raising the price of the auctions.
We all know it's all about the last fifteen seconds with these summer cards.. why fight over nothing.. what to hold the high bid for the six days, only to lose the auction at the last second? Pointless. 8-|
Just wait until the six days are up then all bid in the last moments, i think all the bid fighting is dumb. ](*,)
I have enough cards to stack them all up, and commit suicide off the top!

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:27 am

ouallada wrote:It definitely has to do with his feedback. There will be more people following his items, which could generate more interest in them than there normally is, especially if you compare these to the previous summer batches where the seller only sold summer. Even though a lot of these prices are very high, it's important to note that in the big picture, it's STILL only $200+ for an island, which isn't really a lot. This is also reflected in the fact that a half dozen or so varied bidders puchased the basics. $200 for each person to own a summer basic isn't really that much.

It's the high end cards where a couple hundred won't cut it that will separate the collectors from the people who just want to get in on a piece of the summer pie. I'm not using that as an elitist term, just saying that I won't expect the average player on the street to fork out $2k to get a summer dual. The disk will be a very good indicator of whether the above supposition actually has any truth though. If it ends up for 1.5k, my foot will be in my mouth for the rest of the month.
Also, creating a topic on MOTL (that has been discussed for a while), and us posting here does not hurt!

mwagee
Librarities Legend

Post by mwagee » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:32 pm

Giediprime41 wrote:Is it just me, or does anyone else wonder why the hell people bid on the auctions during the days their waiting?
I mean you have to wait either way for at least six days, why the hell are you bidding .. raising the price of the auctions.
We all know it's all about the last fifteen seconds with these summer cards.. why fight over nothing.. what to hold the high bid for the six days, only to lose the auction at the last second? Pointless. 8-|
Just wait until the six days are up then all bid in the last moments, i think all the bid fighting is dumb. ](*,)
i do that on auctions sometimes to troll

:-\'

yes i'm one of those guys

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:24 pm

Giediprime41 wrote:Is it just me, or does anyone else wonder why the hell people bid on the auctions during the days their waiting?
I agree 100% with your statement. I still don't understand it either. Sniping is the way to go unless you really can't be there for the end of the auction. Although there are bots/progs that help with that as well (although I never use them and snipe live for the rush) :dance:

Giediprime41
Librarities Legend

Post by Giediprime41 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:37 pm

mwagee wrote:i do that on auctions sometimes to troll:-\'
yes i'm one of those guys
HAHA :-D
I'm guilty of this from time to time myself.
Sometimes i bid on auctions i'm not going to buy just to see if i can get to the other guys high bid and just leave it there.
It's bad i know, MTG collectors are like elephants, we never forget a auction sniper! >:-(
Hayden wrote:I agree 100% with your statement. I still don't understand it either. Sniping is the way to go unless you really can't be there for the end of the auction. Although there are bots/progs that help with that as well (although I never use them and snipe live for the rush) :dance:
There are many people shill bidding out there too for these auctions.
So i like to keep track of all the "usual suspects" in the feedback of other summer sellers to see who's who.
Just to see how many new summer collectors there are, Ebay tries to cover them, but it's easy enough to figure out.
I also bid when there is about three seconds left..
I like the rush, and it's fun to wonder if the other guy is crying at that moment.. :-( :wink:
Last edited by Giediprime41 on Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hayden
Librarities Legend

Post by Hayden » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:43 pm

Giediprime41 wrote:
Hayden wrote:I agree 100% with your statement. I still don't understand it either. Sniping is the way to go unless you really can't be there for the end of the auction. Although there are bots/progs that help with that as well (although I never use them and snipe live for the rush) :dance:
I also bid when there is about three seconds left..
I like the rush, and it's fun to wonder if the other guy is crying at that moment.. :-( :wink:
Unless the other guy bid a ridiculously high amount trying to ensure a win, and you snipe with ridiculous amount + $1 #-o
Then you just have to laugh at yourself, say Merry X-Mas to the seller, and swallow that pill :-D

Never bid more than you are willing to pay... Which is sometimes hard to control when you snipe and see the bidding take off at the final moments.
:-k Right there could be our answer as to why people bid early. Enter your max value, take off, then hope you to get an email saying you won in a few days. Admittedly I too do this when I don't care as much about winning. But for my real wants... I am there at the last seconds with sweaty hands and listening to the blood pump through my ears hoping my computer does not decide to hang up when I hit the Enter button with only 4 seconds to go [-o<

Giediprime41
Librarities Legend

Post by Giediprime41 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:00 pm

Hayden wrote:Unless the other guy bid a ridiculously high amount trying to ensure a win, and you snipe with ridiculous amount + $1 #-o
Then you just have to laugh at yourself, say Merry X-Mas to the seller, and swallow that pill :-D

Never bid more than you are willing to pay...
I have so done this too.
Last year i miss bid on a summer black knight for something like $400 and the other guys bid was two dollars less... oops! :-O :-\'
You win some, you lose some and unfortunately.. you win sum.. 8-|
My pun for the day.. :-D
But your absolutely right about "bid once, make it the most your willing to pay for an item", words to live by.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.. i'll let it go free now.

mwagee
Librarities Legend

Post by mwagee » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:30 pm

berkumps wrote:
NeRo wrote:1st round of basics:
Swamp - $187.50
Forest - $211.38
Plains - $211.38
Mountain - $227.50
Island - $266.53

This is completely nuts imo.
My god. Looks like I'll have to consider selling my set of Summer basics.
summer islands hit $300 with a few hrs left. I can trade my pair for an iPad now... =D>

Giediprime41
Librarities Legend

Post by Giediprime41 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:44 am

I got the disk at a fairly nice price i think.
Yes it's not NM but, it's a disk! =D>

mwagee
Librarities Legend

Post by mwagee » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:57 am

Giediprime41 wrote:I got the disk at a fairly nice price i think.
Yes it's not NM but, it's a disk! =D>
nice pick up =D>

Giediprime41
Librarities Legend

Post by Giediprime41 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:29 am

Up this week is:
Royal Assassin MN
Balance EXT
Hypnotic Specter NM
Purelace NM
Most likely in that order. But you never know with those weird mana prices.. :-D .
No islands thou.

mwagee
Librarities Legend

Post by mwagee » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:34 am

bah, someone already outbid me on the hippie

this is gonna be an ugly fight

Giediprime41
Librarities Legend

Post by Giediprime41 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:40 am

mwagee wrote:Darren,
just thought back to that zero feedback summer auction you won a few weeks back. its that much more of a steal now with these price levels =D> =D> =D>
I have to admit , this year i had two really good deals like that on ebay.
9 summer cards for $570 and 12 summer cards for $810 back in April, both had a rare in them.
I guess that was the calm before the storm. :wink:
Last edited by Giediprime41 on Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.