Pro Tour 2011 schedule and promo announced by WOTC

Personal offers and search inquiries about promotional, misprinted, and unofficial Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:19 am

Humm, have never been to Santiago or Sanghai and would love to see Purague again.

kalimno
Librarities Legend

Post by kalimno » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:24 pm

Shanghai is a must !

Shanghai is a metropolitan city.

For all of those who will be there, go to Hangzou if you have some time to spare. Beautiful Xi Hu and a center for silk manufacture... A fast train from Meilong station will take you there in 1,5 hours.

Putuoshan is another alternative if the weather is good. If you make all that trip to China, don't miss the opportunity...

From the Turkish Army, with love...

Ari

Royal Ass.
Librarities Hero

Post by Royal Ass. » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:04 pm

Too bad there are only 2 legacy events :( There are more extended than legacy, and many more people play Legacy.... That doesn't make sense to me other than Wizards hates to support eternal formats.

Anyway, I'll be at the Kansas City event most likely. If anyone is there let me know. If I have money I might try to pick up some BB power.
Ci sono cose che succedono ai vivi non ai morti.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:47 am

Royal Ass. wrote:Too bad there are only 2 legacy events :( There are more extended than legacy, and many more people play Legacy.... That doesn't make sense to me other than Wizards hates to support eternal formats.
An excellent option will be the Legacy/vintage events at the Bazaar of Moxen in Annecy France. That is one Awesome event--never saw so many power players and power cards. I'm going to try and fit it in this next year.

Gary

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot
Legendary Lost Ace of Atlantis

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:04 am

IMHO, there are or can be several reasons for only 2 Legacy events:

a) $$$. to have a competitive Legacy deck, it has to be spent. How many players do you know find the amount to invest in Legacy worth it?

b) Legacy has a LOT of cards. relatively new players either can't or don't want to learn every playable MTG card and how it would help or hurt their deck.

c) Legacy is relatively static. maybe 1-2 new cards can go into a deck, but that doesn't really change the format. Wizards does NOT want the tournament scene to get stale. besides, Wizards wants you to buy a lot of their newest set(s), and Legacy doesn't really encourage that, does it?

like I said, this is my opinion.

however, good luck at KC.
Last edited by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot on Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

flametongue
Librarities Hero

Post by flametongue » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:28 pm

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot wrote:IMHO, there are or can be several reasons for only 2 Legacy events:

a) $$$. to have a competitive Legacy deck, it has to be spent. How many players do you know find the amount to invest in Legacy worth it?

b) Legacy has a LOT of cards. relatively new players either can't or don't want to learn every playable MTG card and how it would help or hurt their deck.

c) Legacy is relatively static. maybe 1-2 new cards can go into a deck, but that doesn't really change the format. Wizards does want the tournament scene to get stale. besides, Wizards wants you to buy a lot of their newest set(s), and Legacy doesn't really encourage that, does it?

like I said, this is my opinion.

however, good luck at KC.
Whilst i agree with your last two points to a lesser or greater degree I have to disagree with the first, with Jace TMS, Titans, Vengevines and planeswalkers it can be just as expensive to play type 2, infact its why i dont really play it anymore, again though just my opinion. :)

kmzandrew
Librarities Member

Post by kmzandrew » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:23 pm

The reasons wizards doesn't like supporting legacy are as follows...

1) Wizards likes making money. Legacy doesn't really generate much money and the people who play legacy are usually not the type who run around buying boxes of new sets as many don't play type 2 so theres not much reason to cater to them. Most will be happy that theres any support from WotC.

2) Wizards hates combo and anything skill intensive. Legacy is the most skill based format in magic so its obviously not going to be liked by WotC. If it wasn't for gambling laws I'm convinced wizards idea for GP's to support the community would be getting all the type 2 and kitchen table players to come in for GP "high roll" to decide the winner. If you look at almost any other competitive tcg they all have tons of elements to eliminate luck while magic and WotC love making games and formats based around nothing more than that.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:41 am

kmzandrew wrote:The reasons wizards doesn't like supporting legacy are as follows...

1) Wizards likes making money. Legacy doesn't really generate much money and the people who play legacy are usually not the type who run around buying boxes of new sets as many don't play type 2 so theres not much reason to cater to them. Most will be happy that theres any support from WotC.

2) Wizards hates combo and anything skill intensive. Legacy is the most skill based format in magic so its obviously not going to be liked by WotC. If it wasn't for gambling laws I'm convinced wizards idea for GP's to support the community would be getting all the type 2 and kitchen table players to come in for GP "high roll" to decide the winner. If you look at almost any other competitive tcg they all have tons of elements to eliminate luck while magic and WotC love making games and formats based around nothing more than that.
I feel kinda sad that some think WotC is so evil, hates so many things and loves only profit. The gamers that work there don’t deserve such cruel biggotry.

I would like to take serious issue with the premis that luck Is bad in the game. The balance of luck in the original design (40 card deck-no max on card names) was not really good enough but was corrected with the 60 card/4 each min./max. IMHO it is one of the most important aspects of the game and, in fact, makes it a ‘game’ instead of simply an analytical pile of cards that, as soon as optimized, would be published on the web so all could have it and because there is zero fun in that the game would be dead.

That aspect of the deck design has been the same for a long time now and it is still going strong—there must be something right about it.

Gary

kmzandrew
Librarities Member

Post by kmzandrew » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:32 pm

I know I'm being harsh, but I expect more from WotC. I want magic to be better than other card games and every other card game I've dabbled in over the years from spoils, to epic and WoW tcg have all been better designed than magic.

I agree that some luck is needed, but there is way too much luck involved in most formats. In type 1 matchups can be decided on who wins the die roll. Factor in other things like mana-flood, a poor mulligan system, and color screw and it seems like the game is designed to be more luck-based than skill based.

Ertai's Familiar
Librarities Legend

Post by Ertai's Familiar » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:16 pm

kmzandrew wrote:I agree that some luck is needed, but there is way too much luck involved in most formats. In type 1 matchups can be decided on who wins the die roll. Factor in other things like mana-flood, a poor mulligan system, and color screw and it seems like the game is designed to be more luck-based than skill based.
Andrew. You have some misconceptions about Vintage. Greater writers than I have wrote on the subject of Vintage misconceptions you should google some articles by Mendian/Elias.

Why do you feel the mulligan system is poor?

Mana screw is something I have not experienced in a long time; I owe this to actually having spent time learning how to optimize mana in decks and shuffling properly. Every mana screw story is founded on human error whether it be shuffling/ keeping a poor hand/poorly developed mana base.

IMHO WoTC has done a great job in the past 2-3 years to get MtG where it is now. Support for Legacy has done nothing but go up; Magic in general is booming and even after all the talk of reprints the seconday market is still going strong.
squt: Sweet! That's the best trade - one that doesn't cost a thing.

pickle.69: NO DRINK ON THE FUCKING TABLE

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:02 am

Ertai's Familiar wrote:Andrew. You have some misconceptions about Vintage. Greater writers than I have wrote on the subject of Vintage misconceptions you should google some articles by Mendian/Elias.

Mana screw is something I have not experienced in a long time; I owe this to actually having spent time learning how to optimize mana in decks and shuffling properly. Every mana screw story is founded on human error whether it be shuffling/ keeping a poor hand/poorly developed mana base.

IMHO WoTC has done a great job in the past 2-3 years to get MtG where it is now. Support for Legacy has done nothing but go up; Magic in general is booming and even after all the talk of reprints the seconday market is still going strong.
Thats pretty much the way I see it too (though I really do need to learn how to shuffle better).
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

notsofasteddie
Librarities Legend

Post by notsofasteddie » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:33 pm

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:43 pm

notsofasteddie wrote:Update to 2011 GP Schedule
Gosh, I wonder if that means the Prince won't be able to compete in the GP this year.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:56 pm

mystical_tutor wrote: Gosh, I wonder if that means the Prince won't be able to compete in the GP this year.
I'm sure he'll find time for both. After all, priorities are priorities!