What are these cards?

Personal offers and search inquiries about promotional, misprinted, and unofficial Magic items.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Rainsford
Librarities Legend

What are these cards?

Post by Rainsford » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:14 am

What I mean is, I have no clue if these are misprints (albino? cards) or normal releases. They each have the standard MtG back.

Both are have a grey border, and look overly blue-ish (even though both are green cards). One is from Portal (Root Greevil), and one from Invasion (Explosive Growth).

If they are misprints, what are they valued at? (Both are in NM condition.)

Since I can't figure out how to add images, the link to the image is here:

http://www.curiousgames.net/alphaimages ... nknown.png

Best regards,

Rainsford

equi-nox76
Legendary Blue Spell Blaster

Value

Post by equi-nox76 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:40 am

If a value has been determined I would be interested in them...
First thought about albino cards, but these are different.
Chris

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:37 pm

They might be missing one or more colors as a printing defect, or they might be the result of excessive exposure to sunlight. Organic pigments fade at varying speed, and can leave you with a card that seems to have only a few colors. Black (carbon) and blue (forgot the chemical family, but there was a thread a few years ago that described it) are inorganic and tend to be much more stable. They therefor fade more slowly.

I have a few Homelands and Fallen Empire cards that look similar. They had been left behind the back seat of a car for about a year.

I can tell mine were "faded" because under high magnification I can see very faded traces in the dot pattern where yellow and red dots once were. If a card was missing a color completely there should only be white where those dots should be.

Rainsford
Librarities Legend

Post by Rainsford » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:46 pm

Thank you for the information so far.

I will check them under magnification and see what I see.

I really wish I remembered where I got these, but i bought so many cards/collections over the years I am at a loss. I just remember seeing these and saying to myself, "hmm, those look odd" then popping them in a box someplace.

I am positive they never sat out in the sun while in my possession. Heck, I don't sit out in the sun! My home office is a gloomy place with the blinds on the window always closed. LOL.

Anyway, I will take a closer look at them.

What I can say is:

- They do not feel brittle (as I suspect cards dried in the sun might)
- They are uniform in their discoloration - on each card and between them. (It is this last thing - that they both are discolored in the exact same way, that is making me leery.)

Best rgeards,

Rainsford

the swiss
Librarities Legend

Post by the swiss » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:48 pm

The two cards came from a Precon Deck Planeshift (Barrage). The intire Deck exist like that.

Rainsford
Librarities Legend

Post by Rainsford » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:28 pm

So the whole deck was printed, by design, with this color scheme? Or are you saying many of the decks were misprinted this way. (I assume it was printed this way on purpose, but lord know why.)

Best regards,

Rainsford

the swiss
Librarities Legend

Post by the swiss » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:34 pm

One sheet for shure (2 x 60 card deck + Filler = 121). The complete deck is still together. They was printed like that.

Rainsford
Librarities Legend

Odd cards

Post by Rainsford » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:25 pm

My apologies, but does this mean the cards are normal cards, or does it mean these are misprints?

Best regards,

Rainsford

the swiss
Librarities Legend

Post by the swiss » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:27 pm

Misprints.

equi-nox76

Post by equi-nox76 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:48 am

Were all of these Barrage Precon Decks like these, or can be determined how many?
Chris

Rainsford
Librarities Legend

Post by Rainsford » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:33 pm

I had a longer discussion with The Swiss, and he said one or two sheets were printed like this. So 1-2 decks worth (if 1 sheet), but maybe 4 decks worth (if two sheets.)

One deck is still complete (removing 60 cards from the population), so there are probably 60 cards out there still around.

fvzappa
Legendary Alpha Playtest Decks Owner

Post by fvzappa » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:39 am

I had 3 until they were stolen a few years ago. There are a few singles roaming around there. As mentioned, at least one deck was split up.

equi-nox76

Complete deck

Post by equi-nox76 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:31 pm

So they're quite rare, but only interesting when I could get my hands on a complete deck.
Chris

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:52 pm

:-\' Someday my Prince will come :-\'

nano
Legendary Hidden Webmaster of Odds&Ends

Post by nano » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:16 pm

I own some of them.
http://www.nextftp.com/nano/albino/metalic.html

These cards have grey border (faded "black") , so seems that there are almost no possibility of sun fade.