6 pack boosters

Personal offers and search inquiries about regularly purchasable standard Magic products.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

6 pack boosters

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:46 am

For you booster collectors out there that I may not know.

I ran across some M-14 6 packs. They may be pleantiful in some parts of the world but the vendors in this area have stopped putting them out in the hanging grab boxes--I guess the theft rate was too high. So I have never seen any M-14 6 packs until a couple days ago. Then they were in a larger plastic box with an assortment of 6 packs (Gatecrash Dragon Maze) and the whole box sold for $20.00 (total 11 packs). I bought one because I think my two regular collectors would want them if they haven't found any elsewhere.

So one is saved for Australia and one for Spain.

If anyone else wants any of these please let me know and we will work out a trade or price.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:53 am

Hi Gary,

I managed to find some M14 6-card packs here aswell, they were sold in Walmart the same way the older 6-card packs were, but have yet to see any 6-card packs for Theros. Do you know of any of these packs for Theros?

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:26 am

I have been watching for Theros and have seen none yet.
I'll try and remember to let you know if I do.

Gary
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

Knutsen
Legendary Old Card Frame Enthusiast

Post by Knutsen » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:20 am

Gary, you got a six-pack for 20 bucks? Great deal - let me know the gym! :wink:

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:31 am

Well the Australian booster collector is very grateful I can tell you, I could probably do with the others as well, I could probably use the Gatecrash and Dragon's Maze at least.

If you are not interested in them I am happy to buy the remaining off you if no one else wants them as well.

I always like to have a few to add to trades.

So what, is there a box with 11 'random' 6-packs in it? Is it something that is being used to get rid of old stock or a new marketing idea? I thought they were going to be for impulse purchases at the till to keep small children quiet. Selling them for $20 is not in line with this theory. If the M14 are not to be found outside of these multibuys then maybe they are winding down this product.

Thanks again Gary!

MArk

berkumps

Post by berkumps » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:51 pm

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:If the M14 are not to be found outside of these multibuys then maybe they are winding down this product.
As I mentioned above, I purchased the M14 6-card packs at the till just like older sets, but the lack of Theros packs seems to validate your theory. It was a dumb idea to begin with, but at least it gave us collectors something else to chase.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:38 pm

Darn, I thought I'd have an excuse to open them.. "well no one wanted these--so lets see whats in em."

Mark, here is my take. I base it on my observations here in Colorado Springs only and primarily at Wall Mart.

First off, except for Best Buy (which has stopped carrying Magic cards at all) the "grab boxes" are not by the tills. They have dedicated shelf space which may or may not be close to a register and is not "in line" with the register but rather where the cashiers back is to it. This is true of all the grab boxes--sports cards, etc. At WM the register they are closest to is an express line that is not always manned.
A few sets ago it seems that they stopped putting security strips in random boosters. I noticed this after the time when I noticed that the only boosters left in the grab boxes were the ones with strips.

I induce from this that shoplifting and security became issues. I speculate that there is a practical aspect to that in that:
1) Security is a store problem. Capturing 6-? year olds escaping with a 1.99 product just might be a lot more hassle than it is worth.
2) Stolen Magic cards is a vender problem (it didn't get rung up, you must not have put it in, you don't get paid).

Vender solution. Put a "deal" together that is harder to conceal and valuable enough to make it worth the while for security.

This is ALL subjective inductive reasoning that i find fits the economic/social environment of this area.

I will save you some extras if no one speaks up for them.

Gary

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:Well the Australian booster collector is very grateful I can tell you, I could probably do with the others as well, I could probably use the Gatecrash and Dragon's Maze at least.

If you are not interested in them I am happy to buy the remaining off you if no one else wants them as well.

I always like to have a few to add to trades.

So what, is there a box with 11 'random' 6-packs in it? Is it something that is being used to get rid of old stock or a new marketing idea? I thought they were going to be for impulse purchases at the till to keep small children quiet. Selling them for $20 is not in line with this theory. If the M14 are not to be found outside of these multibuys then maybe they are winding down this product.

Thanks again Gary!

MArk
Gary Adkison

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:41 pm

Knutsen wrote:Gary, you got a six-pack for 20 bucks? Great deal - let me know the gym! :wink:
I wish I had that kind of a 6-pack.

OBTW, are you aware that Gym comes from the Greek word gumnos which means naked? In other words a place to get naked.

Don't think I'll say more.....

Gary
Gary Adkison

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:01 am

berkumps wrote:
GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:If the M14 are not to be found outside of these multibuys then maybe they are winding down this product.
As I mentioned above, I purchased the M14 6-card packs at the till just like older sets, but the lack of Theros packs seems to validate your theory. It was a dumb idea to begin with, but at least it gave us collectors something else to chase.
I should probably learn to read more thoroughly but it is hard when people keep coming in and interrupting me, wanting me to do stuff for them. If this keeps up I am not going to bother reading the forums at work.

Knutsen
Legendary Old Card Frame Enthusiast

Post by Knutsen » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:40 am

mystical_tutor wrote:OBTW, are you aware that Gym comes from the Greek word gumnos which means naked? In other words a place to get naked.

Don't think I'll say more.....
Just the way I'm dressed when I go running. :-D

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot
Legendary Lost Ace of Atlantis

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:11 pm

mystical_tutor wrote:OBTW, are you aware that Gym comes from the Greek word gumnos which means naked? In other words a place to get naked.
Gary
That's how I dress when I play FNM!

berkumps

Post by berkumps » Wed May 21, 2014 2:42 pm

Just found this at my local Walmart. Since these 6-card packs seemed to have been stopped at M14, and many for M14 weren't even put out due to theft concerns, it appears the local vendor is trying to curtail theft by blistering these up to unload their remaining stock.

This blister packaging seems to be generic and used for whatever the vendor decides to unload, as evidenced by the M12 packs I've seen posted on fb, and the M13 packs I found locally:

CHaPuZaS
Legendary Spanish Trash Hoarder

Post by CHaPuZaS » Wed May 21, 2014 9:14 pm

Thank you very Gary!! Will love to sleeve it in my collection!

GlobalBoosterHunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Wed May 21, 2014 11:26 pm

So, not official MtG packaging then.

I always picked up the blister packs when I could because I figured that; other than buying a sealed box and opening it yourself, blister packs were the only way of assuring that you were buying a booster from an unmapped box.

I think it is highly unlikely that a big box company would even bother to go to the effort to open a box, cherry pick it and sell the rest individually, let alone go to the effort of putting them in a blister pack. So I am still pretty confident that any blister pack boosters will not have been searched.

However the 12 pack booster boxes I have seen for sale on eBay look to be professionally produced and anyone who has that much stock lying around and is taking the time to produce their own packaging, barcodes and heat shrinking has to come under the magnifying glass.

Either they are splitting up boxes into 3 so they can sell them quicker or they have been splitting boxes, pulling out the good stuff and then selling on the remainders. They have so many left over that it would take too long to sell them individually or it would look suspicious.

Either way I think I will be avoiding them.

But back on topic, I take it no recent sightings of 6 packs have been made.

berkumps

Post by berkumps » Wed May 21, 2014 11:44 pm

GlobalBoosterHunter wrote:But back on topic, I take it no recent sightings of 6 packs have been made.
That's been my experience. Nothing since Theros have I seen a 6-card pack for.