MTG China

Personal offers and search inquiries about regularly purchasable standard Magic products.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

flametongue
Librarities Hero

MTG China

Post by flametongue » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:23 pm

Does anyone know how many Mtg china proxy cards there are?

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

Also if anyone has any for trade sale/let me know.

Thanks

Matt

Ertai's Familiar
Librarities Legend

Post by Ertai's Familiar » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:09 am

Also curious, have seen very few of these.
squt: Sweet! That's the best trade - one that doesn't cost a thing.

pickle.69: NO DRINK ON THE FUCKING TABLE

James_Hetfield2
Librarities Member

Post by James_Hetfield2 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:06 pm

When I was in Shanghai, I had a lot of fun going to the "fake" market (just go to the Science and Technology Museum subway stop).

I was wondering if I would see any Magic cards, but I did not. I saw lots of Yu-Gi-Oh! or Pokemon cards.

Magic is still printed by Carta Mundi as far as I know (which is headquartered in Belgium). So might not be as easy for them to fake as they aren't made there.

I'm sure some still exists.

Kinda cool, never saw this article before:

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/a ... eature/146

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:15 pm

Wow... cool article. I work at a print shop myself and the pictures reminded me a lot of being at work. I just wish we printed something as cool as MtG cards (lol).

... or not, as I'd probably get myself in trouble [-X

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

flametongue
Librarities Hero

Post by flametongue » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:45 am

So no one knows much about the MTG China proxies then i take it :)

Doymecca

Post by Doymecca » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:08 am

Super, the proofing picture is verification on my blank filler :-)

Also there are a few full decks worth of proxies I believe and I have seen a power nine set once a few years back here in the Midwest.

-Andy

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Re: MTG China

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:14 pm

flametongue wrote:Does anyone know how many Mtg china proxy cards there are
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.
Also if anyone has any for trade sale/let me know.
Thanks
Matt
I'm not sure what yall mean by "proxies" but there was a big counterfeiting situation several years back. It was assumed they were done in China as they seemed to have come through British Hong Kong into San Francisco or some such. The ones that WotC got a hold of were destroyed. If I remember there was an article on the event in Inquest/Scrye/Dullest or someplace. I really only remember the picture of a fanned out pile of Mox Sapphires. That article might help if you can Google it or something. These were high quality counterfeits. If you are talking about actual “proxy” cards this won’t be of any help.
Sorry I can’t remember the exact mag or the name of the article—just happy I could even remember there was one… LOL.

Only a few of the counterfeits I have are really good. Most of them are easy to spot.

Gary

flametongue
Librarities Hero

Post by flametongue » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:58 pm

By proxies i mean Manga style art as opposed to fakes, similar to crazy clown tokens i guess. There was a power set, (i only have the sapphire) among oher things.

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:23 pm

Yeah, I got a few with some cards I ordered online back in the day...

Cabal Therapy
Duress
Fact or Fiction x2
Swords to Plowshares x2
Sacred Foundry
Zombie token

If anyone is interested in trading extras I'm open :)

Take it easy,
Jared
Ray Thiel (1964-2007) - the man who showed me more wonderful games & gaming sessions than I ever dreamed possible... you ran out of hit points too young, my friend.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:15 pm

LOL Jared!

Is there ANYTHING made out of pastboard measuring 2.5 x 3.5" that you don't collect?

thulnanth
Librarities Legend

Post by thulnanth » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:27 pm

Ummm... no?

LOL - yeah, I like my cardboard, that's for sure. Before CCG's came out I was an avid sportscard collector. Unfortunately, I hit right in the "boom years" of 1981-1993 (doh). The good news about that is when Magic came out I didn't mind buying boxes and making sets - my other friends thought I was nuts for getting "so many" cards :-D

Over the years I acquired lots of odd items (I'm sure everyone here understands how that happens :-P ). About 7 years ago I began to purge stuff and organize what I kept so it was easier to find and/or display. I "only" have about 25K of Magic cards (half in albums, half playstock), along with another 7K of nonsport and various CCG cards (all in albums). I also made several albums of "memento" type stuff... sort of like scrapbooks.

Downside of all this - lots of time and money :'-(
Upside - I pretty much know exactly what I own and where it is (all on 1 bookshelf next to my computer).

Yeah, my wife is a saint =D>

Take it easy,
Jared