List of Sets containing Artist Proofs

Everything else informative about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Neuron
Legendary Print Variant Explorer

Post by Neuron » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:32 pm

As I found nothing comparable, I created a

This should be a help to anyone who collects these.

I have no accurate information about the newer promos at the moment. Help is welcome.

dragsamou
Administrator

Re: List of Sets containing Artist Proofs

Post by dragsamou » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:03 am

Neuron wrote:As I found nothing comparable, I created a

This should be a help to anyone who collects these.

I have no accurate information about the newer promos at the moment. Help is welcome.
Italian Unlimited
This is always a very confusing subject for a lot of people. Adding White Bordered will help.
4th Edition: English, Italian, Japanese Black Bordered, Traditional Chinese
Hi

If you mention that the Japanese A.P. are Black Bordered, you should do the same for Traditional Chinese or create 2 lines: 4Th Edition Black Bordered and 4Th Edition White Bordered.

Adding the print run (When it's possible) will be a plus also, this link is a good start:
http://www.firstturninc.com/proofs-FAQ.html

Also, per experience, owning a complete set of A.P. is an amazing quest (It's more easy to get a Summer set, beside the price difference). It's also a very frustating project, as some Edition/Extension canno't be fully completed.

Sorry, I can't help on the newer Promos or else, but I will try to gather info if possible.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:15 am

I had sort of started a list in this thread, but it isn't complete or thorough.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9450
I agree that a list needs made for everyone to easily reference.

dragsamou wrote:
Neuron wrote: 4th Edition: English, Italian, Japanese Black Bordered, Traditional Chinese
If you mention that the Japanese A.P. are Black Bordered, you should do the same for Traditional Chinese or create 2 lines: 4Th Edition Black Bordered and 4Th Edition White Bordered.
He didn't mention that the English 4th proofs were white border.
He didn't mention that the Italian 4th proofs were white border.
He didn't mention that the Traditional Chinese proofs were black border.
In each of those situations, there is only one border color, so I don't see the need to specify border color for those sets.
No one is going to find any Traditional Chinese 4th White Border cards.

Since Japanese 4th was available in both Black Border & White Border, it's important to mention it for that set.

Tav

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:18 am

cataclysm80 wrote:I had sort of started a list in this thread, but it isn't complete or thorough.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9450
I agree that a list needs made for everyone to easily reference.
Thanks Tav, I was looking for that topic, I need to made it a sticky. Maybe, it will be better in Information General subsection ?
cataclysm80 wrote:In each of those situations, there is only one border color, so I don't see the need to specify border color for those sets.
I don't agree, on a regular basis, people don't know about this, so many times people even don't know that Italian, or Spanish even exist in 4Th Edition, etc...Not everyone is educated about Foreign languages and most of the time can't even figure what's the correct languages on a card. That's why, it's mainly mentioned: Foreign or Asian, that's solve the problem. IMHO
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Neuron
Legendary Print Variant Explorer

Post by Neuron » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:44 pm

Thank you for your feedback.

Regarding confusing set names, there is the collection to check which sets in which languages exist and how they look like. I added links for people who need it.

Also added some info about print runs, although this can be just a rough guess. There are such numbers like 35 and 66 and it even varies within the same set and cards sent to the same artist.

I'm looking forward to additional promo info.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:07 pm

dragsamou wrote:
cataclysm80 wrote:In each of those situations, there is only one border color, so I don't see the need to specify border color for those sets.
I don't agree, on a regular basis, people don't know about this, so many times people even don't know that Italian, or Spanish even exist in 4Th Edition, etc...Not everyone is educated about Foreign languages and most of the time can't even figure what's the correct languages on a card. That's why, it's mainly mentioned: Foreign or Asian, that's solve the problem. IMHO

I agree that many people are uneducated about what sets are in each language and whether they are black or white bordered.

I still think that there is no need to specify artist proof border color on sets that are only available in one border color.
Even the uneducated people could not get confused.

Using Traditional Chinese 4th for an example...
1. Will someone find a Chinese 4th white border card and then look at our list to see if it's a proof?
No, Chinese 4th white border does not exist, so no one could find one. border color is irrelevant.

2. Will someone find a Chinese 4th black border card and then look at our list to see if it's a proof?
Yes, border color is still irrelevant.

3. Will someone see our list and then begin searching for Chinese 4th white border cards?

If our list does not specify border color, then NO, there is no reason for anyone to think that different border colors exist.

If our list says that proofs exist for the Chinese 4th black border cards, then YES. It implies that proofs were not made for the Chinese 4th white border cards. Someone who does not know better could be mislead by this and think that Chinese 4th white border regular cards exist, same as Japanese 4th.

I think it's important to list the border color on the sets which had both black & white borders.

For the other sets which were only available in black border or only available in white border, the border color should not be listed unless the border color is listed for every set on the list.
For example: Beta Proofs black border, 5th Edition Proofs white border, 6th Edition Proofs white border, 7th Edition Proofs white border, etc.

Of the sets that are only available with one border color, it could confuse people if we list border color on some of them, but not on others.

Tav

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:02 am

cataclysm80 wrote:
dragsamou wrote:

I agree that many people are uneducated about what sets are in each language and whether they are black or white bordered.

I still think that there is no need to specify artist proof border color on sets that are only available in one border color.
Even the uneducated people could not get confused.

Using Traditional Chinese 4th for an example...
1. Will someone find a Chinese 4th white border card and then look at our list to see if it's a proof?
No, Chinese 4th white border does not exist, so no one could find one. border color is irrelevant.

2. Will someone find a Chinese 4th black border card and then look at our list to see if it's a proof?
Yes, border color is still irrelevant.

3. Will someone see our list and then begin searching for Chinese 4th white border cards?

If our list does not specify border color, then NO, there is no reason for anyone to think that different border colors exist.

If our list says that proofs exist for the Chinese 4th black border cards, then YES. It implies that proofs were not made for the Chinese 4th white border cards. Someone who does not know better could be mislead by this and think that Chinese 4th white border regular cards exist, same as Japanese 4th.

I think it's important to list the border color on the sets which had both black & white borders.

For the other sets which were only available in black border or only available in white border, the border color should not be listed unless the border color is listed for every set on the list.
For example: Beta Proofs black border, 5th Edition Proofs white border, 6th Edition Proofs white border, 7th Edition Proofs white border, etc.

Of the sets that are only available with one border color, it could confuse people if we list border color on some of them, but not on others.

Tav
Hi Tav

I see your point, and on my part everything's clear, but believe me, I still have people asking me if Starter 1999, P3K (For example) exist with Black borders, etc....When it comes for Foreign languages, and that you collect them , it's a real nightmare, even in Europe, I was talking with a member about it recently, if you don't ask for scans or pics, the probability that you will get the wrong languages is extremely high.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:02 am

I do think it's odd that P3K is white bordered.

I agree with the high probability of receiving wrong language cards. That's one of the reasons I made the Traditional vs. Simplified Chinese thread.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:03 am

This seems like a good place to mention that foil artist proofs were made for the 2016 San Diego Comicon promo cards.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:03 am

cataclysm80 wrote:This seems like a good place to mention that foil artist proofs were made for the 2016 San Diego Comicon promo cards.
I'm working on a huge post about Artist Proof, and at the same time swamped into a Huge update that I'm working on for over a month and half....I will provide more info later.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:50 pm

dragsamou wrote: I'm working on a huge post about Artist Proof
I look forward to seeing that when it's ready.

Tav

dairencs

Post by dairencs » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:39 pm

Jack Stanton posted a list of the APs that Drew Tucker has for sale to one of the Facebook AP groups. This list has some 4th edition languages that are not listed in the breakdown provided at the green disenchant project. The link to the post is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/8877914 ... 570312371/

Specifically, he has Portuguese and Korean 4th edition APs in the list. Has anyone seen these languages available from anyone else?

Anyways, just wanted to bring it up so that it might help any other global set collectors out there.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:51 am

dairencs wrote:
Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:39 pm
Jack Stanton posted a list of the APs that Drew Tucker has for sale to one of the Facebook AP groups. This list has some 4th edition languages that are not listed in the breakdown provided at the green disenchant project. The link to the post is here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/8877914 ... 570312371/

Specifically, he has Portuguese and Korean 4th edition APs in the list. Has anyone seen these languages available from anyone else?

Anyways, just wanted to bring it up so that it might help any other global set collectors out there.
Hi

Maybe a typical mistake from people that doesn't know how to make the difference with European and Asian languages.

Fuga di Energia is Italian. Meaning that the AP is from FWB Italian (which is on the list: Italian Unlimited).

4Th Edition Korean, pics are needed as to my knowledge Korean AP doesn't exist
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

BillBo
Legendary Land Lord

Post by BillBo » Sat May 02, 2020 2:56 pm

dragsamou wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:51 am
Fuga di Energia is Italian.
Could also be a typo introduced by the poster, instead of Fuga de Energia.
I collect land cards, just that.
My want list: http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=9128

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sun May 03, 2020 4:57 am

BillBo wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 2:56 pm
dragsamou wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:51 am
Fuga di Energia is Italian.
Could also be a typo introduced by the poster, instead of Fuga de Energia.
Power Leak in Portuguese is Perda de Poder. Only available in Quarta Edição (Fourth Edition) Black Border and White Border.

Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.