Alpha/Beta sealed event

Everything else informative about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:36 pm

Nick;

I just talked to Peter and he has some suggestions that might help a lot but he is doing some research on something before I can give it to you.

Basic idea is that instead of going through the regular event registration system in which you would get a location and time dependent on what is already happening he might have an alternative.

Publicity is the problem. Nobody outside this present board membership knows about it to date. Promotion time/space/energy at the con is very competitive. How much energy do you have? LOL.

Peter may have an way to get some filming of the event--not the whole thing but maybe the opening of stuff and interviews with you and the winner after the game... TBD.

PRIME thing. Getting commitments out of participants to make sure there are enough players to actually make the thing go.

Does anyone have any connections to other sites where word of this could be shared--forems, whatever.

Has anyone actually committed to playing in addition to Nick and his friends?
Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:26 pm

Well the Magic event coordinator is looking at the idea but needs to know if there really are enough people to make this happen as an exhibition type event. At present the only commitment I have seen is Nick + his two friends.

I did find a few Beta boosters and it looks like I can get them for 800~850. Three boosters or a starter and a booster should would work for a sealed event. I'm not going to get these though unless I'm sure someone is going to pay for them.

I think that if I don't get some solid response on this in the next few days we better back off. I hate taking up this guys time this close to the con unless there is more than just talk.

What do you think Nick?
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

NV

Post by NV » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:22 pm

Thanks again for your help Gary. I've been spreading the word and there is a good amount of interest but just haven't been able to get people to commit. A big challenge has been the availability of the product and not knowing how much it will cost.

I think our best chance of getting this to fire is with one Starter. We can add a booster if people want. I agree we are down to the wire so if anyone out there is serious we need to know right away. If we can get at least 6 people lets make this event happen.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:52 am

I don't know of any starters available--except Alpha where we are looking at almost 4K each. There are 10 beta boosters available if I get commitments in the next 2 days (not my timeline, boosters belong to someone else) for 800 each.

Nick, I think it is important that you post to the Magic coordinator ASAP because as time shortens so does his available time to help you.

Gary
Gary Adkison

NV

Post by NV » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:58 pm

With Gencon a week away I'm sad to report we could not get enough solid commitments from participants. I was glad to see the interest and will keep the idea alive. If I try to put this together again I'll do it with more advanced notice. I think the availability of sealed product will always be an obstacle so maybe I'll have to part with more of mine in the future. Thanks to all who showed interest and helped.

Nick

OriginalMagicArt

Post by OriginalMagicArt » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:26 pm

You can always try to get something set up for Vintage/Legacy Champs in November as it should have a similar gathering of possibly interested players.