Sleeves for storage

Everything else informative about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

TheQuest

Sleeves for storage

Post by TheQuest » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:30 pm

I'm planning to store my cards in ft protection/monster binder and would like to store them single sleeved, so far I'm ponderating these three options:

Dragon Shield Sleeves - Black
KMC Full Sized Sleeves - Matte Black
KMC Full Sized Sleeves - Super Black

Which one are better for foils?
The last two are just differing in color?
Any other reccomendations?

No ultra pro since I don't like th holo dot on the sleeve

manaman22
Librarities Member

Post by manaman22 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:13 pm

The difference between the Matte Black and the Super Black is the finish of the sleeve. The Super sleeves are shinier and slicker. They slide easier and accumulate grime from playing faster than the Mattes. If you are just storing cards, then that really isn't an issue. I've haven't used the Matte Blacks in awhile, so I cannot really comment on how different the color is compared to the Super Blacks.

The KMCs tend to be a bit snugger than the Dragon Shields, so they should be slightly better for foils. They give the card less room to curl.

Is there a reason you want to use regular sleeves instead of Perfect Fits? At least for me, the Perfect Fits are cheaper. Perfect Fits are $5 per 100 and Matte or Supers are $8 or $9 per 80. At collection volumes, the extra $3 seems massive. I guess that begs the question, just how many cards are you talking about sleeving?

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot
Legendary Lost Ace of Atlantis

Re: Sleeves for storage

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:23 am

Perfect Fits are awesome. I have them as that extra barrier to keep dirt/dust/moisture away from them as long as possible. they are as flimsy as other "penny" sleeves, but if you are keeping the cards in a binder, the sleeve rigidity shouldn't be an issue.

Clay

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:25 pm

If you are using the regular top loading pages I recommend the perfect fit put on from the top.

More importantly though, I highly recommend the closed top pages that are made in Japan. A little more hassle putting the card in the slot and not good for cards frequently accessed but for long term storage they are definitely better looking and more protective than the Ultra-Pro pages.

For me the biggest advantage is the dust free top row that doesn't "creep" up above the binder now. This is specially important for my Promo binder which gets taken down and opened the most as new promos come out.

I have converted almost all of my Promo cards to these pages and new sets as I get them. Probably won't go back in time just because of expense and the "leave a sleeping dog lie" principle.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:01 pm

I've been pondering the same question about how to store cards in a binder, and I'm leaning toward perfect fit sleeves. I was thinking about Monster binders since then you never have to worry about damage from binder rings, but the Ultra Pro line of Pro binders are similar in design, but they are PVC free and cheaper than Monster binders. The best balance for cost and functionality, however, might be D-ring binders that fit into slipcases. That would help keep out dust, look better, and store in a more stable fashion than plain binders. Following this path I've started looking into the pages that Gary mentioned.

Hopefully someone finds the perfect storage method that doesn't cost too much, and then I can copy it.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:33 pm

There was a thread on here some time ago with several contributions of ideas on storage and display. I tried to find it but was not able. One person showed binders in slipcases but I can't remember details.

The downside of the D ring is the possibility of damaging a card. I found some rubber O rings at a hardware store that work good keeping the pages down but they are very inconvenient.

Because you have not listed your country (I highly recommend you do) I will say that some of the European collectors showed 4 ring binders that had plastic/metal snap holders that were really really cool. Binder pages could be secured when there were only a few of them even.

I can not find those pictures either. My search capabilities are really bad.

Gary
Gary Adkison

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

TheQuest

Post by TheQuest » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:39 am

I'm planning to use these ring-less binders:

https://www.magiccardmarket.eu/FT_Prote ... 46671.prod

read a few comments online and it looks like they're better than the ultra pro counterpart

i have a felling that cards are safer in these binders rather than in a regular ring binder, but maybe it's just me...opinions?

reasons to choose regular fit over perfect fit: I think they'll prevent more bending and they look nicer in the pocket, thoughts?
at the moment price is not a factor I'm considering much

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:43 pm

I am assuming the '360' card count is having cards back to back and there are actually 40 pages. UP have 10 pages and will not hold a complete base set expansion.

In any case, how is the spine designed? There must be some method of expansion (which I can not see in the picture). I like the looks of it but the price would be a bit much for me.

I have never liked the ring binders but have never found a reasonable alturnative. The up side is that I have been able to get a complete "block" in one binder, with the card lists and fat pack art. This may not work for the RTR block as it is bigger, we will see.

The point to check on which sleeves to use is if the regular ones will fit in the pockets of the pages/binder you use. In general they don't fit in UP pockets well. If they did it would be easier to use them as the perfect fit must be put on carefully.

Gary

TheQuest wrote:I'm planning to use these ring-less binders:

https://www.magiccardmarket.eu/FT_Prote ... 46671.prod

read a few comments online and it looks like they're better than the ultra pro counterpart

i have a felling that cards are safer in these binders rather than in a regular ring binder, but maybe it's just me...opinions?

reasons to choose regular fit over perfect fit: I think they'll prevent more bending and they look nicer in the pocket, thoughts?
at the moment price is not a factor I'm considering much
Gary Adkison

TheQuest

Post by TheQuest » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:58 pm

will try to fit a full album to see how it looks when full of cards and let you know

I got one of those and it should have expansion room on the spine but I have to check it

psrex
Librarities Legend

Post by psrex » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:44 am

I'm still looking around, but these look like some nice binders:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-NEW-Lighthous ... 43b691e119

I like the binder rings, as it looks almost impossible to damage a card in the rings.

There are also Bindertek binders that someone reviews here:

http://www.stampcommunity.org/topic.asp ... =bindertek

and that are for sale here:

http://www.bindertek.com/newbarbin1.html

The two are comparable in price, but the Vario ones look better so far.

For me the main advantage of the three-ring binders over the sewn-in pages is that you can fit more than 360 cards in a binder, which is crucial for some sets.