God box of Mercadian Masques

Everything else informative about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

fancyman
Librarities Member

God box of Mercadian Masques

Post by fancyman » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:59 am

I remember when Mercadian Masques came out, my local store got a box that contained only foil packs. I've heard of single god packs, where every card in that pack is foiled or a rare or some such, but this is the only instance I know of there being a god box. At the time I figured it was some gimmicky move to promote foils (which I thought were dumb) and was more widespread. Has anyone else encountered one of these boxes and do they ever crop up in newer sets?

ritnecrowin
Librarities Legend

Post by ritnecrowin » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:02 pm

When I was in college, I worked at shop- we had TONS of all foil packs out of Mercadian Masques.. never had a box though.

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:51 pm

I witnessed two full starter deck boxes (20 decks) of revised opened as godpacks (all rares). He opened ALOT of duals in them, I'm still jealous 18 years later.

Keevy Bogsbury
Librarities Member

Post by Keevy Bogsbury » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:17 pm

berkumps wrote:I witnessed two full starter deck boxes (20 decks) of revised opened as godpacks (all rares). He opened ALOT of duals in them, I'm still jealous 18 years later.
Wish I could have seen that! :-O

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:49 pm

Keevy Bogsbury wrote:
berkumps wrote:I witnessed two full starter deck boxes (20 decks) of revised opened as godpacks (all rares). He opened ALOT of duals in them, I'm still jealous 18 years later.
Wish I could have seen that! :-O
The funny thing is, when we were opening them, we just threw the duals into a pile, and would repeatedly exclaim:

"Damn, where's all the disk's, WoG's, Shivan's and Assassin's?"

mmgun
Legendary Tyypo Hunter

Post by mmgun » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:26 am

I think we already had a thread for this kind of godpacks.

There was a PTQ Sideevent at a european GP with zendikar limited, where many players had godpacks with all or at least half the pack full of rares.
Those got replaced for free, they were not allowed to play with those but at least kept the cards.
The remaining booster of the box/case where given to judges for compensation.

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:20 am

berkumps wrote:...The funny thing is, when we were opening them, we just threw the duals into a pile, and would repeatedly exclaim:

"Damn, where's all the disk's, WoG's, Shivan's and Assassin's?"
Hah! Too true!

I went into a music shop that had Magic Boosters upstairs with the 'World" music and other stuff that wasn't worth nicking!

I saw two guys sitting on the floor with booster packs in front of them sorting them into piles. I asked what they were doing and they showed me how to search a pack.

I was looking for a pack to play for ante so I asked them if there was anything worth having they handed me a couple of packs with Vesuvian Doppelganger and Lord of the Pit in them, I couldn't believe my luck, all they were after were dumb duel lands, I mean if you want an island and a swamp in a deck, just put an Island and a swamp in your deck, it is only one extra card for crying out loud.

Great days, lost the game and didn't get my Vesuvian Doppelganger, I was gutted! To this day I have never actually used one in a deck.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:28 am

mmgun wrote:I think we already had a thread for this kind of godpacks.
We do, it's here http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=8048