Cards that have had their art slightly altered

Everything else informative about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Cards that have had their art slightly altered

Post by berkumps » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:33 am

I noticed while digging through some random junk that the picture for all Shivan Oasis from 8th Ed, Planechase, and DD: PvC have had their artwork cropped relative to the Invasion picture. This is because the Invasion artwork has the artist signature "Alexander 2000" on it, and I was curious what other cards people can think of that have had slight alterations of their artwork done from one set to another.

Image Image Image

GlobalBoosterHunter
Legendary Aussie Booster Hunter

Post by GlobalBoosterHunter » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:02 pm

Unholy Strength!

From Revised to Fourth

magicmisprints
Librarities Hero

Post by magicmisprints » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:16 pm

Jamuraan Lion from Visions was differently cropped in ... Korean, I think it was? Maybe Japanese.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:40 pm

magicmisprints wrote:Jamuraan Lion from Visions was differently cropped in ... Korean, I think it was? Maybe Japanese.
Actually in all languages except English--or should I say English is the odd ball. Makes a real nice binder page though with the English one in the middle surrounded by the other 8.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Re: Cards that have had their art slightly altered

Post by mystical_tutor » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:03 pm

berkumps wrote:I noticed while digging through some random junk that the picture for all Shivan Oasis from 8th Ed, Planechase, and DD: PvC have had their artwork cropped relative to the Invasion picture. This is because the Invasion artwork has the artist signature "Alexander 2000" on it, and I was curious what other cards people can think of that have had slight alterations of their artwork done from one set to another.
This is endless, or at lease almost with the change of borders. Plus many of the oriental "alternate art" were just digitally altered artwork--without the artist even being involved. I showed a Chinese Canopy Spider to Chris Rush one time where the skulls had been changed to rocks. He was unaware that it had ever been changed (and a little put out about it).

Incongruently, one of the reasons given by WotC for the border change was to provide more picture on the card. For most earlier cards this translated into "make the picture bigger" rather than "expand the art".

More to your specific question though would be Skulking Ghost from Mirage where one picture is both framed differently and the color was different.

Gary

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:14 pm

The aspect ratio of the art area actually changed slightly with the new borders, so any reused art would have to be recropped