Magic 2012 Core Set Booster Battle Pack - interesting find

Everything else informative about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Magic 2012 Core Set Booster Battle Pack - interesting find

Post by berkumps » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:32 am

So curiosity got the better of me, and I decided to purchase on of these bad boys from the LGS.

Image Image

I had heard the two mini-decks inside had different boxes than those free planeswalker decks that are floating all over the place, so I wanted to see for myself. This turned out to be true (no codes on the boxes however Tim):

As you can see in the above pic, the boxes are attached on the backside, with instructions to "separate along seam" to get the deck boxes apart (I didn't bother).

Inside the black deckbox, I found the following:

and after opening the two cellophane packs, the cards were:

Image Image

Inside the red deckbox, I found the following:

and after opening these two cellophane packs, get:

Image Image

Now, the first thing I noticed after opening the first of the four cellophane wrapped 10-card packs, was that the card stock felt and looked somewhat different than other M12 cards I had opened. The black seemed richer, and the surface slightly glossier/smoother. I decided to open up the boosters that came with these decks, and the cards inside the boosters were similar to other M12 cards I've opened previously (both in cardstock, and colouring). I decided to compare any duplicates from the 10-card cellophane decks, with the cards just opened in the boosters, and found these 4 which seem to show that the font appears "richer", and I feel like the lettering appears to be slightly thicker.

Image Image

Image Image

So my questions are this for members here:

1a) Has anyone else ever opened one of these things?
1b) If so, were the 4 10-card cellophane packs the same cards that I opened?
1c) Did you notice slight differences amongst the cards in the cellophane wrappers, relative to M12 opened in booster packs?

Gary: From the two booster packs I opened, the T/T I found seemed to already be on your M2012 spreadsheet, so I at least did not open any new combinations out of these two packs. I am thinking I want to buy another of these battle packs (assuming the 10-card packs aren't identical), and if I do, I'll keep checking the T/T to see if any new combinations arise out of the boosters included in the battle packs.

caquaa
Librarities Legend

Post by caquaa » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:18 am

Well it makes sense that any preconstructed decks would be printed separate the standard print run. It isn't like they can reasonably pull the necessary cards from a standard print run to make these things. I've observed easily noticeable differences in previous event decks. Its easy when you go through a bunch of stoneforges, inkmoths, and catacombs to see which ones stand out. I'd suspect future prints runs of similar products will be able to be told apart from the standard printing just due to the different qualities of the print.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:04 am

I opened mine, and the cards are different from your packs.

As I'm reading this at 1 am, the artificial light is not good to determine the differences you pointed out.

I'll check that tomorrow.

The decks are the same colour, and I wondered if there were some blue, white or green decks.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Re: Magic 2012 Core Set Booster Battle Pack - interesting fi

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:00 am

Hay! Thanks for noting the t/t cards for me.
I only opened one of these but do not remember the contents exactly (it was when they very first came out) but the booster did seem quite normal and the t/t card was already noted.

I was not astute enought to note the difference but I will look again when I get back to the US as I did keep them seperate (except the booster). I just assumed they were a different printing as such things usually are.

There are different colors but not sure what "semi-randomized" means.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/a ... arcana/797

How many different cards all togater are used for these decks might be an interesting project for someone.

Gary
berkumps wrote:So curiosity got the better of me, and I decided to purchase on of these bad boys from the LGS.

Now, the first thing I noticed after opening the first of the four cellophane wrapped 10-card packs, was that the card stock felt and looked somewhat different than other M12 cards I had opened. The black seemed richer, and the surface slightly glossier/smoother. I decided to open up the boosters that came with these decks, and the cards inside the boosters were similar to other M12 cards I've opened previously (both in cardstock, and colouring). I decided to compare any duplicates from the 10-card cellophane decks, with the cards just opened in the boosters, and found these 4 which seem to show that the font appears "richer", and I feel like the lettering appears to be slightly thicker.

[So my questions are this for members here:

1a) Has anyone else ever opened one of these things?
1b) If so, were the 4 10-card cellophane packs the same cards that I opened?
1c) Did you notice slight differences amongst the cards in the cellophane wrappers, relative to M12 opened in booster packs?

Gary: From the two booster packs I opened, the T/T I found seemed to already be on your M2012 spreadsheet, so I at least did not open any new combinations out of these two packs. I am thinking I want to buy another of these battle packs (assuming the 10-card packs aren't identical), and if I do, I'll keep checking the T/T to see if any new combinations arise out of the boosters included in the battle packs.

Blood
Librarities Hero

Post by Blood » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:12 am

magic-belgium wrote:The decks are the same colour, and I wondered if there were some blue, white or green decks.
There is a blue deck. It is SOOOOOO unfair it is not even funny. It is all mill cards and impossible to beat. We played with these for money and luckily I opened the blue one and won every game I played with it. Thanks wizards for free money! (To add insult to injury, the loser had to pay for the battle pack! ) :-D

berkumps

Post by berkumps » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:02 am

So I opened up some more of these battle packs, and two of the 10-card packs were identical to ones I opened previously (a white pack with Griffin Rider on top, and a green pack with Sacred Wolf on top). I've come to the conclusion that there are 2 different 10-card decks for each color (noting the contents below). Each pack for each color contains only 2/4 basic lands for that color, so you'd need both packs to get all 4 basic lands. All of the cards I've opened in these 10-card packs have shown the same differences relative to "booster M12" as noted above (richer/darker font, somewhat glossier card stock).

WHITE
pack #1
Pride Guardian (on top)
Armored Warhorse
Siege Mastodon
Divine Favor
Serra Angel
Plains #230
Plains #231
Plains #230
Plains #231
Plains #230
pack #2
Griffin Rider (on top)
Griffin Sentinel
Angel's Mercy
Peregrine Griffin
Roc Egg
Plains #232
Plains #233
Plains #232
Plains #233
Plains #232

BLUE
pack #1
Coral Merfolk (on top)
Aether Adept
Amphin Cutthroat
Jace's Erasure
Belltower Sphinx
Island #234
Island #235
Island #234
Island #235
Island #234
pack #2
Skywinder Drake (on top)
Chasm Drake
Cancel
Frost Breath
Azure Mage
Island #236
Island #237
Island #236
Island #237
Island #236

BLACK
pack #1
Tormented Soul (on top)
Duskhunter Bat
Bloodrage Vampire
Taste of Blood
Vampire Outcasts
Swamp #238
Swamp #239
Swamp #238
Swamp #239
Swamp #238
pack #2
Zombie Goliath (on top)
Sorin's Thirst
Disentomb
Mind Rot
Sengir Vampire
Swamp #240
Swamp #241
Swamp #240
Swamp #241
Swamp #240

RED
pack #1
Fiery Hellhound (on top)
Firebreathing
Goblin Tunneler
Chandra's Outrage
Volcanic Dragon
Mountain #242
Mountain #243
Mountain #242
Mountain #243
Mountain #242
pack #2
Goblin Fireslinger (on top)
Blood Ogre
Shock
Lava Axe
Stormblood Berserker
Mountain #244
Mountain #245
Mountain #244
Mountain #245
Mountain #244

GREEN
pack #1
Sacred Wolf (on top)
Giant Spider
Greater Basilisk
Trollhide
Lure
Forest #246
Forest #247
Forest #246
Forest #247
Forest #246
pack #2
Gladecover Scout (on top)
Garruk's Companion
Stampeding Rhino
Plummet
Overrun
Forest #248
Forest #249
Forest #248
Forest #249
Forest #248

If my assumption that there are only 2 10-card packs for each color is correct, then should one decide to collect this "M12 print variation", one would only need 10 uncommons, 40 commons and 20 basic land for the set. I might just try to get a sealed set of these if that's the case. :-\'
Last edited by berkumps on Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:39 am

Congratulations Mark !

As I said to you, let's see if Event Decks were the same ?

berkumps

Post by berkumps » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:05 pm

Updated the list above with the missing black pack. All of the contents are now known.

Enjoy!