Ultimate List Two - All card names in all languages

Everything else informative about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Mister Foilcard
Librarities Legend

Ultimate List Two - All card names in all languages

Post by Mister Foilcard » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:19 am

It's me again,

I just started an Exel table that contains all card names of all ever printed cards from all ever printed editions, expansions, and special sets in all languages.

Gary and his wife have finished the list of Korean 4th Edition (thank you very much). And this was my 'priming explosive' for the whole list.

I will include for the first release of the list all English, all German, some Italian, some Japanese, some French, and one Russian set.
Currently I only will input the Card names in the different languages sorted by expansions.

It is important, to put only verified information in this list. So everyone who has information or complete sets in other languages than English or German is asked to help.

What other information are wanted? Eventually we can boost the list a little...

Hans-Dietrich

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:25 pm

Yes! If I could easily type in other languages I would definitely help out with this project. Instead, here:

Russian language spoilers:
http://www.mtg.ru/cards

Japanese language spoilers:
http://www.mtgwiki.com/wiki/%E3%82%AB%E ... 5%E4%BE%A1

agzz
Legendary Terese Nielsen Fan

Post by agzz » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:57 pm

Hans, The excel file i linked to in the other thread is compiled from the following sorces (with a few changes when MLF users pointed out errors)

german:
http://amigo-spiele.de/magic_Kartenlist ... iveID=1352

french: (down now)
http://www.yavipengs.com/cartes_avancee.php

portuguese:
http://www.magicjebb.com.br/

spanish:
http://www.cambiacartas.com/im/selectCard/game2/goal

Italian:
(have lost the link..)

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:41 pm

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Re: Ultimate List Two - All card names in all languages

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:48 pm

Mister Foilcard wrote: I just started an Exel table that contains all card names of all ever printed cards from all ever printed editions, expansions, and special sets in all languages.

Hans-Dietrich
I think this is a fantastic project and will work hard to help. I do not type Korean easily. It is one letter at at time.

Poblem is I have no other sets besides the 4th ed. If someone has other Korean sets and we could work out a way for me to see the card names, (scan, send me the set, sell me the set--whatever) Kyong and I are willing to get them into unicode for the list.

I really don't think you are going to find a link to a Korean list...sigh.

Gary

Mister Foilcard
Librarities Legend

Post by Mister Foilcard » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:58 am

Thank you all for the links, but as all you know, many of the linked lists contains a lot of errors. As examples: the German Amigo list don't know the differences between limited and Unlimited 3rd Edition. When I collect all cardnames for the Spanish Salvat listing I found out that nearly 40 (out of 600) card names have errors: missing letters, wrong letters.
So please understand. I don't want a new copy of all those lists. My goal is to have an error free list.
It is important, to put only verified information in this list.
That is, all card names have to be veryfied with the names on the real cards. I cannot do this job, because I don't have all those sets in Italian, Spanish, French...
That's the point. So I ask the guys from Italy, Spain, French,... please help with verified(!) data.
The links are great, but not really helpful for this project.

magicevolution
Librarities Legend

Post by magicevolution » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:50 am

Some spanish cards have different names depeds of set and depends on what you have drunk translators

For example,
Gift of Estates is "Concesión de tierras" in Portal and "Regalo de fincas" in 9th

Blessed Reversal is "Inversión bendita" or "Inversión afortunada"

Healing salve is "Pócima curativa" or "Balsamo de curación"

Plow under is "Arado profundo" or "Enterrar"

Seasoned Marshal is "Mariscal competente" or "Mariscal experimentado"

Ardent Militia is "Milicianos ardorosos" or "Milicia enfervorecida"

Charging Paladin is "Paladín a la carga" or "Paladín en carga"

Foot soldiers is "Soldados a pie" or "Soldados de infantería"

Regal Unicorn is "Unicornio regio" or "Unicornio magnifico"

](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Elite Javelineer is "Javalineros de élite" when the correct name is "Jabalineros de élite"

more examples...?? :-P :-P

In my web, I try to write both names
Mister foilcard, If i can help you... I have all sets in spanish

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:01 am

The new Gatherer will give you spoilers listed in every language except Korean for Standard and Text Spoiler formats. It will also show you scans of all foreign language cards in Visual Spoiler format. =D>

For any WOTC people reading this, good work guys! But why not in Checklist format? and where's Korean?

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:51 am

l0qii wrote:The new Gatherer will give you spoilers listed in every language except Korean for Standard and Text Spoiler formats. It will also show you scans of all foreign language cards in Visual Spoiler format. =D>

For any WOTC people reading this, good work guys! But why not in Checklist format? and where's Korean?
WOW! There you go Mister Foilcard. All you have to do is import it to excel. I have been using the spoilers and checklists to build my access data bases but I never realized you could get all the languages from it. Wonder if they will add Korean sometime, probably not as it is a "dead" language as far as Magic is concerned.

Now all I need to do is find the Korean sets I don't have.

Gary

Mister Foilcard
Librarities Legend

Post by Mister Foilcard » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:31 am

The new Gatherer will give you spoilers listed in every language except Korean for Standard and Text Spoiler formats.
And I have to copy every single card name... Why not is this working for checklists.
No guys, this isn't a solution.
Next thing: this database contains the usual errors: in German Revised Edition the 'Craw Wurm' has to be 'Lindwurm'. But in the database I found 'Tatzelwurm'. This is valid for the German 'Unlimitierte Auflage'. But this set I don't find in Gatherer at all.
Next problem are the card texts. Sometimes you will find the original printed card text of the older cards, sometimes not. If you search for the 'comes into play' phrase you will find a lot of cards but not Ball Lightning from 4th Edition (as one example).
All you have to do is import it to excel.
No, only in theory... 8-|

Believe me, at the current stage this database is completely worthless for documentation purposes.
I think no one at Wizards knows what cards are printed in different languages and sets in the past, no one knows all the errors are done in this process, so we will never get an official error free database from Wizards...
Knowing this, I started this project. And I know, only the Magic fans from different countries can do the work. Wizards is helpless in this matter.
They only want to sell cards and make money.
They are not interested in a good documentation of her own products.
For any WOTC people reading this, good work guys!
not really... #-o

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:28 pm

Yeah, the older base sets you're going to have to do yourself still, and they don't translate the actual card text, just the card name, but I'd rather cut and paste 10000 times than try to type in all those asian language names. Surely some good can come out of this.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:24 pm

And I have to copy every single card name…
Not sure why you have to do that. I just copy-paste the spoiler and checklist into a .doc, make a table with it, delete what I don’t want, convert it to .txt with tab delimiters and import it to Access or Excel. Never copy a single card name.
Next thing: this database contains the usual errors: ….. at the current stage this database is completely worthless
LOL.. If you think you will get 100% error free lists from us “fans”—you’re dreaming. I may be the only person on this board that is trained in transliteration, textual criticism and etymology and I wouldn’t bet 10 cents on my lists being 100% error free. Starting with a published list and making corrections does not seem “worthless” to me. The trade off here is missing an error already in the list or introducing a new error.
Next problem are the card texts.
Are you looking for us to type out the entire rules text too? Again, starting with a published list would not be worthless.
Wizards is helpless in this matter. They only want to sell cards and make money.
They are not interested in a good documentation of her own products.
You better believe it. If they don’t make money—they cease to exist. They are interested in survival and there are no government bail-outs for game companies. I wonder just how much the collecting community contributes to the WotC bottom line. It seems to me that we spend most of our money in the secondary market (true some of that market is built based on the speculation that we will buy from them). But do we really think that spending 1000.00 for a BL helps WotC at all? Not a bit. They already got their .03 cents out of that card (I pulled the .03 out of my a** and have no idea how much they make on a single card—focus on the point and not the irrelevant detail).
For any WOTC people reading this, good work guys!
For clarity, CS lead me to believe that the DB process is all contracted out and that is why the errors I pointed out would not be corrected in the near future.
not really... #-o
I’m curious about this. How many gaming companies provide any kind of a product content DB to the public? For my non WotC games about the only source I had was Scrye (R.I.P). The subject came up when I was having lunch with the then editor of Scrye in Hong Kong years ago and she said they built their information from scratch by buying the product.
The Gatherer is a wonderful DB for gamers. The searches can take you right to the card you want for your deck and with Oracle text you are ready to go play. I really don’t think it is built for collectors and I’m not sure it ‘should’ be. I doubt if having the correct Chinese character on a 6th edition common is going to help them survive our present economic situation.

I still think the project is great and worthy of my support but using our present resources is wise and just throwing them out because they are not 100% is a waste.

Gary

l0qii

Post by l0qii » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:54 pm

mystical_tutor wrote: I’m curious about this. How many gaming companies provide any kind of a product content DB to the public?
Almost all collector guides are compiled by 3rd parties and never even get the blessing of the original company. This leads to a lot of guides in book stores with the word "Unofficial" in the title. I've often wondered why this is the case.

I'm glad we are working on this now, and not say 40 years after the fact as with rare record collectors. I know some of them and I do not envy their task. They often end up in sticky situations like knowing a certain serial number existed, but there are no known copies, no documentation left from a now defunct record label, and so no way to locate the item they are missing.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:40 pm

l0qii wrote:Almost all collector guides are compiled by 3rd parties and never even get the blessing of the original company. This leads to a lot of guides in book stores with the word "Unofficial" in the title. I've often wondered why this is the case.
Remember the "Official Encyclopedia" Vols 1-6? Great for historical reference, just wish the project had been profitable enough to be carried on and even expanded into other languages (at least I never heard of it in other languages). I would assume that they were not without error.
l0qii wrote:I'm glad we are working on this now, and not say 40 years after the fact as with rare record collectors.
And Luger collecting where collectors have worked from almost the beginning to document Lugers but, because the factory records were destroyed most of the historical information is lost. Most information available today is really conclusions based on what we see on hand. Books written years ago sometimes came to incorrect conclusions based on limited or skewed data. We suspect that the books written today do the same thing, we are still in the dark about so much.

Mister Foilcard
Librarities Legend

Post by Mister Foilcard » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:37 pm

I've just finished all sets until Fallen Empires.

Here is the first release of the list:
http://www.mediafire.com/?wczojmionym

Enjoy