Question - how to tell what edition a specific Asian card is

Everything else informative about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Rainsford
Librarities Legend

Question - how to tell what edition a specific Asian card is

Post by Rainsford » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:39 pm

Hello,

I am slowly weeding through my extra MtG cards and stumbled on a small stack of Asian card. I have no clue the edition nor language. They are singles, and none seem of any interest (one Island Sanctuary, one Black Knight, and other uninteresting commons.) The cards are black-bordered.

Anyway, is there a listing of the word "Artist" or "Illustrator" someplace so I might match the language somehow?

I am fairly sure they are Japanese... or Korean. I am almost positive they are not Chinese - 'cause I don't remember ever owning any Chinese cards/packs/boxes.

So I guess my question is: How does one track down a single card's origin?

Best regards,

Rainsford

magic-belgium
Librarities Legend

Post by magic-belgium » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:53 pm

There are tips to recognize what Asian language one card is from.

But it would be better to explain to you with scans.

If you scan some of them, I could show you and explain to you.

heartagram420
Librarities Hero

Post by heartagram420 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:17 pm

just type in japanese mtg or chinese mtg or korean mtg on ebay, then go through until you find an auction with a picture in it, and just try to find examples of each card type (creature, land, enchantment etc...) in each asian language to compare yours with theirs. most of the time, the person selling the cards knows what language their cards are in.

it's easy for me to tell, but i have a lot of experience with asian cards. some tips:

korean: has lots of ovals and circles in the characters.
japanese: usually the characters in the card types are very basic looking, with only 1 or 2 lines per character
s-chinese: more complicated looking than japanese, and the text in the card titles is usually bold
t-chinese: again, more complicated looking than japanese, but doesn't have bold text in title box.

those are just some basics to use. try to familiarize yourself with what the card types look like for each language.

if you still can't tell, post some pics, and i can identify them for you.

alex
looking to buy some japanese cards? check out my MOTL sale list (huge eternal collection)

agzz
Legendary Terese Nielsen Fan

Post by agzz » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:30 pm

this might help:

remember that now there is no TCN and current SCN use that font(-ish)

Rainsford
Librarities Legend

Post by Rainsford » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:02 pm

Thank you for the information. I have narrowed it down to Japanese. Woot!

Now I am on a trek to find which expansion. (Now that i know the language, I figure this next part should be slightly easier.) :-)

Best regards,

Rainsford