Duelist Magazine fantasy cards

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

hunterjwizard
Librarities Member

Duelist Magazine fantasy cards

Post by hunterjwizard » Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:32 am

So I am curious, the "joke" cards listed here:

http://www.magiclibrarities.net/629-rar ... ml#card009

Were these actual, physical cards? Or just pictures printed in the magazine? The page on them is a little unclear.

dragsamou
Administrator

Re: Duelist Magazine fantasy cards

Post by dragsamou » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:47 am

hunterjwizard wrote:So I am curious, the "joke" cards listed here:

http://www.magiclibrarities.net/629-rar ... ml#card009

Were these actual, physical cards? Or just pictures printed in the magazine? The page on them is a little unclear.
Hi

Just pictures printed in the magazine. I will try to find a pic of one of them, and display the full page in the index for better understanding also for InQuest Fantasy Cards.
Last edited by dragsamou on Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

hunterjwizard
Librarities Member

Post by hunterjwizard » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:16 am

Thanks, that helps a lot!

Hey, is there anywhere you can find high-resolution scans of the interiors online? I think it'd be funny to make proxies of a few of the cards in there.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:20 am

hunterjwizard wrote:Thanks, that helps a lot!

Hey, is there anywhere you can find high-resolution scans of the interiors online? I think it'd be funny to make proxies of a few of the cards in there.
From people I know, the best way is to cut the picture in the magazine and then glue it onto a card. I don't think that you can find High resolutions scans online, there was some of them in Magic Arcana, that I do remember. The External link from Magic Arcana has been added in the index and I complete the sentence by " They are all sized correctly and can be cut out to play with them once you glue them onto a MTG card." and I add a pic as well :wink:

http://www.magiclibrarities.net/629-rar ... index.html
Last edited by dragsamou on Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:39 am

Some of those would be fun in a casual game.
I guess you'd have to find the magazine and scan them yourself.

Tav

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:42 am

cataclysm80 wrote:Some of those would be fun in a casual game.
I guess you'd have to find the magazine and scan them yourself.

Tav
Hi Tav

Cut and glue them, is another way to play with them.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:52 pm

I have over 100 of these cards. I bought a collection years ago, and the seller had meticulously copied or cut and pasted the images onto Magic cards. I also have a few later spoof cards.

These were popular for casual play, but very few of them survived. If you cut them out of the magazine the quality of the bond (using glue) typically wasn't that good and the card was easily damaged.

hunterjwizard
Librarities Member

Post by hunterjwizard » Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:06 pm

Well, assuming the Magic Librarities page is correct and assuming the seller was correct, I should have now successfully ordered a copy of the magazine with the card I want. I'm going to scan it as I have some tacks for making very nice-looking proxies.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:03 pm

hammr7 wrote:
These were popular for casual play, but very few of them survived. If you cut them out of the magazine the quality of the bond (using glue) typically wasn't that good and the card was easily damaged.
Hi Henry

As I never played, I have no idea, so maybe a laminated version is better ?
hunterjwizard wrote:Well, assuming the Magic Librarities page is correct and assuming the seller was correct, I should have now successfully ordered a copy of the magazine with the card I want. I'm going to scan it as I have some tacks for making very nice-looking proxies.
Which card is your graal and from which issue ? As, I have few Duelist, I can eventually check. Normally that subsection should be pretty accurate, as it was done in the past by someone owning All The Duelist, and 95% of all the others Magazines that you can find in the Magazine Galleries Page:
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/galleries.html
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:31 am

I think I'd prefer a good scan rather than cutting up a collectable magazine.
Then you can print the image directly onto a card to play with and not worry about the glue coming loose.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:11 am

cataclysm80 wrote:I think I'd prefer a good scan rather than cutting up a collectable magazine.
Then you can print the image directly onto a card to play with and not worry about the glue coming loose.
I agree, even doing a high quality sticker might be a good idea.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

hunterjwizard
Librarities Member

Post by hunterjwizard » Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:18 am

dragsamou wrote:
hammr7 wrote:
Hi Henry

As I never played, I have no idea, so maybe a laminated version is better ?
hunterjwizard wrote:Well, assuming the Magic Librarities page is correct and assuming the seller was correct, I should have now successfully ordered a copy of the magazine with the card I want. I'm going to scan it as I have some tacks for making very nice-looking proxies.
Which card is your graal and from which issue ? As, I have few Duelist, I can eventually check. Normally that subsection should be pretty accurate, as it was done in the past by someone owning All The Duelist, and 95% of all the others Magazines that you can find in the Magazine Galleries Page:
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/galleries.html
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/raritie ... -lotus.jpg

I'm trying to collect every single dragon... of COURSE I need one of those :P

Anyway librarities has it listed as being from Issue #28, which I just bought on ebay(I think). I'd really appreciate a high-quality scan if anyone has the physical magazine, though.

cataclysm80
Librarities Legend

Post by cataclysm80 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:19 pm

The card is shown here on the Librarities website, so someone around here must have scans of all those cards.

Tav

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:24 pm

cataclysm80 wrote:The card is shown here on the Librarities website, so someone around here must have scans of all those cards.

Tav
Hi Tav

The owner of all those Magazines, has sold, give All his MTG Collection, and I don't have news from him for years, those scans were added over 10 years ago, and they are on the website, of course they are in the database, and I have access to them, but grab a magazine, scan the card with a 2014 High Quality scanner, and you will get a much better result.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:16 pm

The magazine pictures were somewhat limited in their detail, since their dot density was the same as the rest of the art in the magazine. About the only way you could improve that detail is if you could scan the originals into a program like Photoshop, and if you are good at cleaning up and sharpening the scanned images.

The problem with gluing the magazine images is how to get them smoothly onto the donor magic card. Glossy magazine stock isn't the best surface to glue. So the challenge is getting a thin smooth surface of adhesive, and then applying the cut out image so there are no bubbles or wrinkles.

The cards I have were done with care, and yet the quality is nothing like what you might get with a Middle Ages sticker on a Magic card. They are still fun and fine for casual play.

The other spoof cards I have were done by individuals in the early days of Magic. This kind of card became briefly popular in the mid-90's, then stopped once Wizards let players know they weren't pleased. A few of the more prolific artists were also players, and the threat of being banned from competitive play was enough to squash the artistic creativity.