Fake Alpha corners

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

Jmaschme
Librarities Member

Post by Jmaschme » Thu May 08, 2014 12:09 am

I don't think you shoud let this worry deter you from collecting Alpha cards over Beta. Buy graded cards and problem solved.

I collect every vintage set, but if I only collected one, it would be Alpha. Beta will always have a derivative value to Alpha, and Unlimited to both Beta and Alpha. I think the value gap between Alpha and Beta will continue to widen. It may be mitigated for raw cards where folks are buying just because they want a black border play copy, but for graded card collectors the 3x scarcity factor of Alpha to Beta is palpable in the marketplace. The Alpha cards are tremendously harder to find and MUCH more expensive. P9 and dual Betas hold their own against Alpha but still trade at a big discount. for random rares, gem mint Alpha copies easily trade for more than 3x their Beta counterparts. trust me I know having acquired entire graded sets of each from scratch over the last year. Just my two cents.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri May 09, 2014 10:55 am

[quote="Alphafoil"I think my Alpha set will remain incomplete, I still feel uneasy with this issue.[/quote]

Your call, of course, but there are some reliable sources, such as people on this board that are collectors. Tap4Black has the real thing as he got them from sealed alpha product (at least most of them).

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.