Magic Novel Bindings and Collecting

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

manaman22
Librarities Member

Magic Novel Bindings and Collecting

Post by manaman22 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:31 am

I know that this is not a typical topic, but I might as well ask. I'm trying to figure out which of the Magic storyline books come in the trade paperback size (5.25"x8") and/or in hardback. I want to get an idea of how large the group is before I try to collect them. I know that the majority of the books are mass market paperback size (~4.25"x7"), but I have come across a few of the earlier books in the other bindings.

What I would like is some help determining which of the books are available in the trade paperback and hardback sizes.

So far, the only ones that I know of are:

The Brother's War, hardback
The Dragons of Magic, hardback
Agents of Artifice, hardback
Distant Planes, trade paperback
Tapestries, trade paperback
The Shattered Alliance, trade paperback - I have an ISBN for this, but it's listed as an import edition, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

I suspect there are others, but they seem to be rather rare and no one really talks about them. Most likely being from the early days probably has a lot to do with it, I suspect as well. I looked around here and haven't found any info on them and general Googling has not been productive. Any help would be appreciated. If you have ISBNs, that would be awesome as well.

Thanks in advance.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:46 am

I was under the impression (without ever giving it any thought) that the storyline books were released as part of the fat packs. I don't recall seeing any of the ones I have in hardback. In addition I don't recall any of the original redemption books being released in hard back.

The only hardback I ever had was the one about Jace--and I lent it to someone to read and now can't remember who...

Sorry, that probably doesn't help at all but it is what little I know.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

manaman22
Librarities Member

Post by manaman22 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:57 am

The early books were released on their own. Everything prior to Mercadian Masques, or whenever Fat Packs came out, came out sometime after the set dropped.

I am also under the impression that the redemption books were not in hardback, so that makes 2 of us :wink: They might be available in trade paperback size, though.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:18 am

I'm pretty sure the book the Jace promo came with was hardcover.

manaman22
Librarities Member

Post by manaman22 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:10 am

Indeed it was. Sadly, when I got my copy of Agents, I did not get the promo Jace. :'-( The store didn't really have any idea what the promotion was so, I kinda got shafted on it. Too bad, since it is the best looking Jace 1.0. Oh well, at least it was a good read.

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:57 am

manaman22 wrote:Indeed it was. Sadly, when I got my copy of Agents, I did not get the promo Jace. :'-( The store didn't really have any idea what the promotion was so, I kinda got shafted on it. Too bad, since it is the best looking Jace 1.0. Oh well, at least it was a good read.
Oh yes, it most definitely was hardcover..and I still have approximately 200 of them...
He's just this guy, ya know?

manaman22
Librarities Member

Post by manaman22 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:18 am

Are there 200 promo Jace's to go with those books? :-D

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot
Legendary Lost Ace of Atlantis

Post by Alien_Starfighter_Pilot » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:03 pm

Gryfalia wrote:
manaman22 wrote:Indeed it was. Sadly, when I got my copy of Agents, I did not get the promo Jace. :'-( The store didn't really have any idea what the promotion was so, I kinda got shafted on it. Too bad, since it is the best looking Jace 1.0. Oh well, at least it was a good read.
Oh yes, it most definitely was hardcover..and I still have approximately 200 of them...
I'm interested in gettting a copy of the book. how much are you selling them for?

Clay

berkumps
Legendary AA Coffin Puppet Master

Post by berkumps » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:34 pm

Alien_Starfighter_Pilot wrote:I'm interested in gettting a copy of the book. how much are you selling them for?

Clay
I'll take one also.

Blood
Librarities Hero

Post by Blood » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:41 pm

Possibly interested here also. Jason

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:14 pm

I hope I can remember who I loaned mine to. I enjoyed the story.

Gary
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

Gryfalia
Legendary Epic Store Owner

Post by Gryfalia » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:37 pm

No, there are no promos with the books..;-)

I'll happily sell the book for $5, but the shipping isn't small (padded envelope plus media mail would probably be around $5ish in the US, I'm guessing). And according to my inventory I'm 'down' to 169 copies, hehe... Initially I had 250 copies (leaving me with, IIRC, about 5% of the total print run of the promo cards, almost all of which are gone now, just my personal copies).

Now if someone wants LOTS of the book, I can ship a case of 18 anywhere in the US for $100..;-)
He's just this guy, ya know?