Robot Chicken promo. What?

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:48 pm

It doesn't really matter if the recipients frequent this board. As long as someone who does knows who these recipients were, a good guess can be extrapolated.

Depends, I guess. If Wotc created these simply as tokens of gratitude to the Robot Chicken folk who attended, getting the approval to use the picture (copyright owned bythe people behind Robot Chicken) would be doable, and the copyright leash that Wotc wants for the rest of its cards could easily be loosened due to the nature of their creation.

As for recycling borders and expansion symbols, it's possible. After all, the entirety of 8e test prints used the Unglued symbol. Not ruling out that it's a hoax, just saying that it's pretty possible that these exist.
mystical_tutor wrote:
ouallada wrote:I'm more interested in finding out who these things were given out to, as that should shed some light on whether this card was actually produced by Wizards.
Well obviously none of the people that received them frequent this board.

If this art work is kinda in "public domain" or with no known artist then you can believe that WotC did not produce a card with it. As I understand it is a matter of their own best interest to have a tight legal right to anything they produce. If they had found the artist and gotten his/her permission than, in all likelihood the artist would have received credit for it.

Now comes an interesting question. If WotC did not produce or license its production why is there a WotC copyright line? I think it is illegal to produce something and say it is copywrited when it isn't. If that is true it may be REAL hard to find who made this and gave it out.

An additional thought. If it is a legaly produced card, why go back and steal an expansion symbol (and use the wrong color border) instead of using something new and unique?

IMHO this is just some folks out there having fun (maybe even a WotC employee, or former employee, was having fun with them......) and has no relationship to serious collecting.

Gary

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:08 am

ouallada wrote:It doesn't really matter if the recipients frequent this board. As long as someone who does knows who these recipients were, a good guess can be extrapolated.
You missed the point of my comment.
ouallada wrote:... the copyright leash that WotC wants for the rest of its cards could easily be loosened due to the nature of their creation.
I didn't realize copyrights were so flexible. I sure can't see anyone at WotC/Hasbro taking that kind of a chance.
ouallada wrote:As for recycling borders and expansion symbols, it's possible. ... Not ruling out that it's a hoax, just saying that it's pretty possible that these exist.
To me, whether they exist or not is irrelevant. As is often said; "all things are possible" and anyone with the motivation could have cranked out a bunch of these. At the moment the idea of an April Fools joke deserves the highest credibility in my book.

My assertion is that it is not an official Wizards of the Coast card.

Certainly no logic or evidence has been presented here that even slightly supports that it is. When such is presented, I will consider it.

Gary

Mister Foilcard
Librarities Legend

Post by Mister Foilcard » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:20 am

At the moment the idea of an April Fools joke deserves the highest credibility in my book
First appearance of this "card" in MWSHQ forum was: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:11 pm.

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Post by mystical_tutor » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:47 am

Mister Foilcard wrote:
At the moment the idea of an April Fools joke deserves the highest credibility in my book
First appearance of this "card" in MWSHQ forum was: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:11 pm.
Pity, really.

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:39 pm

The beauty of keeping an open mind.

"I'm one of the RC guys who was at the show. They sent them to us afterward as gifts, in nice sealed cases. Really nice of them, we were all flattered to see our chicken on a Magic card.

They're real cards, or they look like real cards from outside the case, anyway.

As far as I know, there are only six in existence. At least, six people in our crew each got one. I'd be pretty surprised if any of them ever turn up on the aftermarket. It'd be like selling a personal gift. But we got really nice scans of them up, so anyone can proxy them or whatever."

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showpost ... stcount=12

Exactly as I guessed.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:16 pm

Mystery solved!

It should also be noted that in that thread it says the card is larger than standard size and in a sealed case, so it wouldn't be playable.

Any idea how large the card is?

Also mentions that 6 copies exist.

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:45 am

The RC guy put a picture up:

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachme ... 1270887881

Looks like it's a normal sized card, just that it was sent in a screw-down of sorts. Has a normal back too. Have to say, was quite a nice thing of Wizards to do.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:21 am

Hi Members

I dig up that old topic, as I have been asked to add this card on the website.
But a bunch of questions remains:

Is this an Official WOTC Products ?
Who's the Illustrator?
Do they have the same measurements as MTG cards ?
How many were created and by who ?
There's probably more questions to ask before I can add them to the website to the appropriate section with good scans.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

ende73
Legendary Righteous Phoenix Mage

Post by ende73 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:57 pm

dragsamou wrote:Hi Members

I dig up that old topic, as I have been asked to add this card on the website.
But a bunch of questions remains:

Who's the Illustrator?
This one's easy as you can clearly read it from the pic linked above: Robot Chicken !

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:21 pm

Hi Members

Gathering some info:

*This is a real card... it was given to the robot chicken writers at PT san diego as a "thanks for coming" its a large card and im pretty sure it was used in the giant magic game there

*I was at PT San Diego, and participated in the "Giant Magic" game with the Robot Chicken writers. I did not see or hear of this card. Writers were gunslinging but the prizes for beating them were 1 booster of either Zendikar or Worldwake, and then an Ajani Goldmane mousepad. During the giant game of Magic the RC writers would ask magic/RC trivia and give out prizes which were DVD sets and a sweater/jacket. One of the trivia questions asked was about the number of cards that had "Chicken" in them, and this card was again not mentioned. I know that this doesn't really help but maybe gives some insight...

*I'm one of the RC guys who was at the show. They sent them to us afterward as gifts, in nice sealed cases. Really nice of them, we were all flattered to see our chicken on a Magic card. They're real cards, or they look like real cards from outside the case, anyway. As far as I know, there are only six in existence. At least, six people in our crew each got one. I'd be pretty surprised if any of them ever turn up on the aftermarket. It'd be like selling a personal gift. But we got really nice scans of them up, so anyone can proxy them or whatever.

*The only way to get a copy of Robot Chicken was to make an episode of Robot Chicken and then playing a D&D game at San Diego Comicon last year.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/A ... sive_magic

TO SUMMARIZE

*Apparently, it's an Oversized Card with a supposed MTG Back (No pic of the back) in a Sealed Case.
*They were given after PT San Diego to the Robot Chicken writers intending it. It's not mentioned who send that card.
*According to only one person, there's at least 6 in existence.
*Illustrator is Robot Chicken
* There's no precised measurements to qualify it as Oversized

QUESTIONS
*Does it belongs to the website with so few info not verified ?
*If eventually, I will add it, in which section and subsection ?

Let me know if I forgot anything and what you think about it.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:23 pm

I think it should be added. The goal of this site, after all, is to be a one-stop shop for all rarities, even those we lack absolute information for -- we just need to be clear to the viewers as to what exactly is lacking in terms of info.

I'd suggest a new subsection for "giveaway" promos for cards like these and the other actor cards.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:31 pm

ouallada wrote:I think it should be added. The goal of this site, after all, is to be a one-stop shop for all rarities, even those we lack absolute information for -- we just need to be clear to the viewers as to what exactly is lacking in terms of info.

I'd suggest a new subsection for "giveaway" promos for cards like these and the other actor cards.
Thanks for sharing your point. Let's see what others have to say.
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.

Knutsen
Legendary Old Card Frame Enthusiast

Post by Knutsen » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:47 am

Just looking at artist and artwork convices me - it definitely HAS to be on the board! :-D

aleksandr
Librarities Legend

Post by aleksandr » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:06 pm

Maybe create a subsection for "Unique Promos" for cards that are, or might as well be, unique.

As in, the average promo collector will never get their hands on this card/product/whatever, but we still document it for historical purposes.

1996 World Champion, Splendid Genesis, Proposal, Robot Chicken, etc.

dragsamou
Administrator

Post by dragsamou » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:25 pm

aleksandr wrote:Maybe create a subsection for "Unique Promos" for cards that are, or might as well be, unique.

As in, the average promo collector will never get their hands on this card/product/whatever, but we still document it for historical purposes.

1996 World Champion, Splendid Genesis, Proposal, Robot Chicken, etc.
Hi Aleksandr

For me, Unique means Only one. Robot chicken, 6 cards in existence, Actors Promos , the actors got one or more ?, but we know that others are in the wild, and some Private Collectors own them. IMHO
Want/Have Lists.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8903
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1515
I Love you Dad.R.I.P.