anyone think worldwake is worth it?

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

shaselai1
Librarities Hero

anyone think worldwake is worth it?

Post by shaselai1 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:36 pm

Buying booster boxes from? I have one preordered and might get another one.. it is a small set and from spoilers there are a few decent cards (and from ebay prices..)

Faustgeist

Post by Faustgeist » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:13 pm

I have five booster boxes on the way, 1/2 for my own booster-opening addiction... and half for my gaming group to draft with. Certainly already having 3 or so cards in the $22 pre-sale price is up there...

Will be curious to watch... Zen is a hard one to follow.

And prosper is back up to a large set.

~R

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:26 pm

I bought some.

Jess
Legendary Wet Dreams Tokens Creator

Post by Jess » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:04 am

Bought only one booster box. Two chase cards only, most of the rares are meh. Definitely not a good investment imho.
Artist for Neo-Token.

andytalaga
Librarities Legend

Post by andytalaga » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:00 pm

The set is pretty garbage. Ken naggle shouldn't be allowed to make cards. There are a few good cards but they are com/uncom.

shaselai1
Librarities Hero

Post by shaselai1 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:09 pm

it is a small set so the wow factor is obviously down. Plus many people expect great things after m10 and zendikar as well. i regret getting 2 boxes but i will probbaly end up selling whatever money it has first thing... definitely want jace and abyssal for sel..

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:54 pm

It looks pretty awesome to me.

Ertai's Familiar
Librarities Legend

Post by Ertai's Familiar » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:51 pm

Hard for anything to look all that great following Zendikar. The set looks decent for limited, however I am finding Landfall to be meh. As others have said it isn't that great of an investment. I all but made my money back on the two Zendikar boxes I bought due to ripping a revised Badlands and many Fetch Lands. I doubt you could do that with Worldwake.

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:59 pm

If the only thing that makes a set good is being able to make your money back on a box, then there hasn't been a good set since Revised

Ertai's Familiar
Librarities Legend

Post by Ertai's Familiar » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:10 pm

l0qii wrote:If the only thing that makes a set good is being able to make your money back on a box, then there hasn't been a good set since Revised
Haha fair enough. As an Eternal player I can't complain there are a few cards that are promising i.e. Loadstone Golem. In my mind that still doesn't justify buying boxes, seems less efficient.

shaselai1
Librarities Hero

Post by shaselai1 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:15 pm

vamps and allies will probably see more play. I am actually thinking of making an ally WU library destruction deck. Now with the library destruction ally + clone ally + join the ranks + rite of replication i think it is very possible to get some serious library destruction going if it goes unchecked. It sucks the dragon this time is just another lame one - wonder when there will actually be a good dragon?

andytalaga
Librarities Legend

Post by andytalaga » Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:53 pm

Tha_Gunslinga wrote:It looks pretty awesome to me.
How? Have you played standard in the past 5 months? How about extended? Wooooo mana locus guy, really interesting guy he'll force lots of new and creative plays otherthan let's mindlessly tap lands! There is still no single card that can deal with a sphinx of jwar isle at any level of rarity other than a mythic that can block or some random time when he is the only creature.

4 mana sorcerry speed brainstorm and three other terrible abilities....no thanks.
Cycle of terrible manlands...no thanks.

No way for 80% of the field to deal with a leech, blightning, bbelf->anything, bitblast->anything,ggs

Worldwake...aka another set that does nothing to balance the color pie, address the problem of WAY too powerful creatures for too low a cost that ultimately are all genenric vanilla uninteresting beaters that don't inspire or create situations that require good play skill.

Okay a tormods crypt land. Ya got me. It only took 14 years for them to print it.

Tha_Gunslinga
Librarities Legend

Post by Tha_Gunslinga » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:33 am

andytalaga wrote:
Tha_Gunslinga wrote:It looks pretty awesome to me.
How? Have you played standard in the past 5 months? How about extended?
No, I just play Vintage. It looks like a fun set full of cool cards. It's not as crazy as Zendikar, but I like it. I'm pretty sure exiling your opponent's library isn't a terrible ability, and the manlands look pretty solid, but you sound like you have an axe to grind for whatever reason, so I'm not going to argue.

andytalaga
Librarities Legend

Post by andytalaga » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:47 am

I mean yea exiling their deck is cool but let's say you have a noble hierarch and can cast jace on turn 3. On turn 9 you can finally do it assuming he is still alive. You still only fatesealedor scryd for 1 (which cost 4 initially). They don't outright lose the game either. Seems like a cool idea but they didn't do it right.

Wu and rg manlans seem okay put 90%+ times they get pathd and you lose the turn you played it ans the turn you dumped 4+ mana into attacking with it. God forbid they lightning bolt your rg one in response to. The trigger.

Just I think people don't think about how cards will actually be used.

ouallada
Librarities Legend

Post by ouallada » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:02 am

I think WWK, and the Zendikar block in general, has been well designed. The stupidity that is Standard right now has less to do with the Zendikar block than the Alara block. The inability to print cards that make control viable is what allows Jund to basically run riot right now, and it must be noted that even control decks in Extended (Tezz) use the thoptor-sword combo to make up for an actual lack of excellence in control elements. The complaint about manlands being removed isn't really a mark against the manlands. When the removal suite in standard reads terminate, path to exile, lightning bolt, doom blade, gatekeeper of malakir, smother and others, it's more a case of Wizards dumbing down play than the manlads not being gamebreaking. Mishra's would find it tough to avoid eating a burn spell as well, but is still a great manland.

I also enjoyed the fact that plenty of cards were printed with an eye on eternal formats in WWK (looking at Lodestone Golem and the merfolk legend for Vintage specifically). The only complaint I have is that Wizards still refuses to print cards that nerf the rampant 3+ colour manabases because casual players don't find it fun.

My thought is that the next Mirrodin block will probably see Stax/prison-aggro be top tier. Enjoy the good times when that isn't the case.