Historical Check

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

mystical_tutor
Legendary Old Fart Magic Player

Historical Check

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:32 pm

I am trying to change my "accumulation" of promo cards to a "collection". I am thinking about going historical and putting them all in timestamp order by program or distribution. It will be based mostly on "why" a promo was generated/distributed but in historical order. Example, "Promotion of in-store organized play" will include Arena, Gateway/WPN and FNM. With Arena, Gateway/WPN kinda being the same program will be presented in the same series with FNM, which started later, following.

Question. Using the dates on our site I see the first four items being:

Nalathni Dragon (convention promotion) 1994-07 [the only 'convention only' promo card I can think of]
HarperPrism [media insert program]
Nalathni Dragon [media insert-Dualist #3]
Legend Membership cards [membership programs]

Other categories I am thinking about are(not in timestamp order here):
Organized Play (biggest reason--most programs. This will have subdivisions such as in-store org play, MOL, players rewards, judges gifts, all the 'pro' event cards, junior/scholarship, etc.)
Sales Promotion (Pre-release, release events, WotC retail purchase incentive --The Serra Angle, Jaya Ballard, full box purchase cards [In this area I'm not real sure about the Japanese MPS program--was it for sales or for play?]

I know it is a somewhat artificial division between Play and Sales but those are distinctly different 'reasons' in many cases.

As a collector there are some questions that I have not yet answered myself and I am sure as you glance at my thoughts you will raise even more...LOL

I can see that my logic will not fit all but I would like very much for those of you that care to give me feedback on my approach and if there are earlier promo cards I have missed please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Gary

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:38 pm

This is basically how I organize my promos and it has worked well. It's a good way to organize the cards, but if your goal is to accurately document the release history it has some short-comings, since some cards were released more than once, and others were "available" before being officially released.

As far as early promos you missed, don't forget these:
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/20-rari ... index.html

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:50 pm

l0qii wrote:This is basically how I organize my promos and it has worked well. It's a good way to organize the cards, but if your goal is to accurately document the release history it has some short-comings, since some cards were released more than once, and others were "available" before being officially released.

As far as early promos you missed, don't forget these:
http://www.magiclibrarities.net/20-rari ... index.html
LOL!! Yes, I completly forgot those.... thanks much.

I would like to go with an official release date when I can find one. That isn't always easy either.

What I am visualizing is not historical as far as one card is concerned but rather a program. Arena/Gateway/WPN cards will not be intermixed with FNM cards. I am, however, thinking of integrating the Pre-release with the release events/launch parties (Darn, I wish they would choose names for programs and STICK WITH THEM). Both promotions are built around the reason of "new cards are coming your way" and it seems like they should be together. Game Day cards will be right with them even though I may be crossing the play-sales line when I do that.

Thanks for your thoughts. Keep them coming.

Gary

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:07 pm

If you want to be historically accurate by program then don't forget the 6x9 cards were also part of Arena. Also normal MM foil land were given out for a short time after the small-star MM foil land and before the "arena" logo land. Plus I believe some non-card prizes like life counters were given out for some programs for a while.

Mister Foilcard
Librarities Legend

Post by Mister Foilcard » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:07 pm

Don't forget Arena Deck-Boxes...

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:56 pm

l0qii wrote:If you want to be historically accurate by program then don't forget the 6x9 cards were also part of Arena. Also normal MM foil land were given out for a short time after the small-star MM foil land and before the "arena" logo land. Plus I believe some non-card prizes like life counters were given out for some programs for a while.
I already have the Arena large cards integrated into their proper places as promo cards.

I have never collected "Arena deck boxes" and am not sure what they are.
Gary Adkison
Father of a former Wizards of the Coast janitor.

Knowledge is proud because it thinks it knows so much; wisdom is humble because it realizes it knows so little.

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:10 pm

Need some more input here;

I'm looking at a catagory called Retal Sales Promotionals.

In this I will have the WotC promo-Serra Angel along with the Jaya Ballard and Brion Stoutarm. Are there any other marketing insert promos like the above?

I will be including the APAC lands and Full Box promo cards like Day of Judgment. ATM I am only doing English Language cards as they are confusing enough. Later, I will try to expand to the whole world--maybe.

It really seems like I am missing some cards though. Here is what I see so far: (still haven't decided on Pre-release, Launch parties and Game Day events as these have always been "events" to me).

Serra Angel (WotC full box program)
Brion Stoutarm (mass marketing)
Jaya Ballard (mass marketing)
APAC/EURO lands (full box program)
Day of Judgment (full box program)

Your thoughts would be appreciated--specially on cards I am not thinking of.

Gary

squt
Legendary Misprint Error Collector

Post by squt » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:59 pm

There's a Broodmate Dragon available right now through the same channels as Brion and Jaya.

Good luck with the project! After 16 years, there are quite a few promos to keep track of!

mystical_tutor

Post by mystical_tutor » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:35 pm

squt wrote:There's a Broodmate Dragon available right now through the same channels as Brion and Jaya.

Good luck with the project! After 16 years, there are quite a few promos to keep track of!
Great! Down to Wall-Mart to get one... I hope.

Squt: Your well wishes are always welcome--thanks much

Gary