whats best place to find trade shows?

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

hammr7
Librarities Legend

Post by hammr7 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:29 pm

6X9 decks were a bit on the weird side, because of the limited number of cards available. When they were popular, there were even unique rules (basically allowing banned cards, and using up to four of each restricted card) to allow some flexibility in deck-making. But its been a long time since I tried to make a deck out of them, and since I haven't played in years I have no idea how they might fare.

My recent goal was to have at least 4 of every 6X9 card made, and at least 25 of each land, sort of an ultimate player's set. Sadly, I am still short by ~ 30 cards from completing that goal.

I have about 100 extra basic lands, another 100 extra special lands, about 125 insert cards (duelists and comics, etc.) and about 100 extra Arena player rewards.

shaselai1
Librarities Hero

Post by shaselai1 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:30 pm

ah... i think only 6x9 i have are:
selenia, rathi 8th, shivan9th? and serra 9th?...

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:42 pm

shaselai1 wrote:ah... i think only 6x9 i have are:
selenia, rathi 8th, shivan9th? and serra 9th?...
Selenia is a Vanguard card, and I'm not sure what the others you have are but if they are the same size as the Selenia, they are not 6x9. They coule be Box Toppers?

6x9's are larger than these and were produce between 1995 and 1999.

shaselai1
Librarities Hero

Post by shaselai1 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:18 pm

o i guess box topper then... well i do have a huge shivan dragon from 1997...

implode
Legendary Dragon Master Collector

Post by implode » Fri May 01, 2009 3:33 am

hammr7 wrote:I have one of the largest collections of 6X9 cards (800+ and counting) in the world. I never got a single one at a trade show or tournament (not that I didn't try, it just wasn't a priority).

I got the vast majority of mine in one of three places:

1. on Ebay
2. from the bigger on-line dealers
3. from rarities collectors, including those on this site.

It just takes time and effort, since many of them are not all that common.
Wow, really...I have only 20, was trying to build a complete deck but failed miserably.

squt
Legendary Misprint Error Collector

Post by squt » Mon May 04, 2009 5:13 pm

shaselai1 - it is a fairly common misconception that you can't go to a GP, Pro Tour event or even Worlds if you haven't qualified. That's not the case at all! There are a ton of side events, artists signing cards, and lots of stores that set up tables for anyone to shop. I've found that these events or cons like Gen Con are the best place to shop for singles in person, although most of the dealers at these sorts of events/cons usually bring their stock of tournament-worthy cards.

pcjr

Post by pcjr » Sat May 16, 2009 2:11 am

hammr7 wrote:My recent goal was to have at least 4 of every 6X9 card made, and at least 25 of each land, sort of an ultimate player's set. Sadly, I am still short by ~ 30 cards from completing that goal.
My goal is to build set of one of each card. Sadly, that last card (Cursed Scroll) is taking years to acquire.

jamesbond
Legendary Secret British Agent

Post by jamesbond » Sat May 16, 2009 11:32 am

pcjr wrote:
hammr7 wrote:My recent goal was to have at least 4 of every 6X9 card made, and at least 25 of each land, sort of an ultimate player's set. Sadly, I am still short by ~ 30 cards from completing that goal.
My goal is to build set of one of each card. Sadly, that last card (Cursed Scroll) is taking years to acquire.
If you still looking for a cursed scroll, pm me, i know a shop who is selling one (but i don't know the price)