German white-bordered Revised vs. German 4th Edition

Questions about Magic items and events.

Moderators: cataclysm80, hammr7, l0qii, Apocalypse2K, berkumps, dragsamou, mystical_tutor, pp

TheSundry

German white-bordered Revised vs. German 4th Edition

Post by TheSundry » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:03 pm

Hello!

I am having trouble with something, and hope someone here can help out.

I am aware that Revised was printed in German (and French & Italian) first as a black-bordered set in 1994, then reprinted as a white-bordered set. From what I have researched, the white-bordered ones have a 1995 copyright.

Herein lies the problem...so does the white-bordered German 4th Edition.

So, if I have (as I do) several white-bordered, German cards with a 1995 copyright, how can I tell if I have Revised cards or 4th Edition?

Obviously if the card existed in one set and not the other the problem is easy. I have a Giant Strength and Twiddle, so I know they are 4th Edition. But what of my Creature Bond, or Lightning Bolt, or....etc.

The copyright line for all the cards is the same, so if there's something different on that line between Revised and 4th, then I know I have all 4th Ed. But the black-bordered German Revised Stone Rain I have has the exact same copyright line (except 1994 instead of 1995) so, I would imagine that the white-bordered copyright line would also match.

I'm out of ideas! :'-( Can anyone help?

TheSundry

Post by TheSundry » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:39 pm

I just realized that the same problem would exist in Italian. Oy!

l0qii
Legendary Unfindable Title Moderator

Post by l0qii » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:09 am

This topics has come up before :)
Please check this thread: http://www.magiclibrarities.net/forum/v ... php?t=2383

TheSundry

Post by TheSundry » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:52 am

Thank you! I did (believe it or not) search the archives before posting my question. Maybe I didn't find it because I was searching for "Revised" and not "3rd Edition" SIGH. I'll know better for next time. Anyway, from a quick look through I think most/all of mine will turn out to be 4th Edition rather than 3rd. Figures :-)

Thanks again!

TheSundry

Post by TheSundry » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:21 am

Not as bad as I had feared - about half the German cards were 4th, half Revised/3rd. Thankfully the Lightning Bolt and Hypnotic Specter were among the Revised :-)

I also discovered that many Italian cards I had previously (mis)-identified as 4th were actually Revised (including a Lightning Bolt)!

So, thanks again for pointing me to the other thread - what a life-saver! =D>